Water Leak on Floor - 2006 Town Car

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Ballyhoo

Amazing that no one on here (or the forum that I've seen) has thought of, or mentioned, the drain holes for the sun roof. Yes these do plug over time! And where does the water go then ??

TownCarCharlie

Amazing that no one on here (or the forum that I've seen) has thought of, or mentioned, the drain holes for the sun roof. Yes these do plug over time! And where does the water go then ??
While trying to identify the source(s) of the leak on my vehicle, the sunroof was tested, inspected, and verified for proper seal and drain operation. While researching the issue prior to the repair, there were multiple threads on this forum that mention both sunroof drain issues and, also, the left side water issues.

Last edited:

Towncarlimoguy

I actually mentioned that a couple of times in somebody’s leak thread lol. Had that happen in an 07 I had.

sraynes

Have a 2006 town car and when I'm driving it and it rains water shows up on the floor of the right rear floor. Cannot see anywhere that it is coming in. Has anyone had this problem and know the solution? Had a 1/2 inch of standing water on last trip and the bottom plug is tight. Thanks
I took mine to the dealer. There is a drain that has to do with the window(s) that was clogged up, with pine needles if all things. They cleaned it out. No issues since.

btesar

Durham, NC
2005 Town Car. This is looking at the engine side of the passenger firewall. I have resealed the cowl fresh air inlet to stop the usual water leak. I also tightened the nuts that hold the black fan and evap housing. I have seen water coming out the bottom of the evap housing with the A/C on. Where does the red circled drain come from and should that have water coming out of it as well during normal A/C use?

IMG_0595 2.jpeg

Koach

Never even noticed that drain. Since my air intake flapper drain thing was clogged, I will definitely perform some investigation on this part...thanks!

Manderix

Have a 2006 town car and when I'm driving it and it rains water shows up on the floor of the right rear floor. Cannot see anywhere that it is coming in. Has anyone had this problem and know the solution? Had a 1/2 inch of standing water on last trip and the bottom plug is tight. Thanks

Manderix

The reservoir under the hood on the passenger side is clogged. Water and leaves and pine needles, etc flow from the channel under your wipers (vents cover up the channel). This discharge goes to a reservoir tank, then down to the street. The tank pipe on the bottom of the reservoir has a flap and it gets jammed with the leaves, etc........then water overflows from the windshield channel and onto the interior floor. Believe me! I clean out that channel and tank-flap every fall and spring now....completely cured the "wet floors" issue. Years ago and still dry!

Babyburr

The reservoir under the hood on the passenger side is clogged. Water and leaves and pine needles, etc flow from the channel under your wipers (vents cover up the channel). This discharge goes to a reservoir tank, then down to the street. The tank pipe on the bottom of the reservoir has a flap and it gets jammed with the leaves, etc........then water overflows from the windshield channel and onto the interior floor. Believe me! I clean out that channel and tank-flap every fall and spring now....completely cured the "wet floors" issue. Years ago and still dry!
Besides that you need to check the gasket on the bottom of the fresh air inlet box. You can clean out all three drains and if that gasket is bad your back passenger side floor will be full of water after a heavy rain. Just had a very heavy thunderstorm yesterday. Checked my floor and it’s dry as a bone. My gasket repair is workin like a champ!

btesar

Durham, NC
I'm getting closer to finding my passenger side leak. I have already sealed the fresh air intake and all of the drains are clear. The water is appearing just in front of the passenger front door jam. See picture. Now that I can tell where it is wetting the carpet, I'm not sure how I find where it is getting into the cabin. I took the glovebox down and I don't see or feel anything wet in that area.

Any thoughts on next steps to figure out how its getting in?

Brian
IMG_0680 2.JPG

Babyburr

That is a mystery. I sure don’t know what that could be. I wish ya luck in finding where that water is coming from. You might try covering the windshield area so no water can get under the hood and drench your car with the water hose for long while. Then, check to see if it’s still getting in the car. If it’s dry, I’d double check your seal on the fresh air intake. I had to do my seal twice, due to first time water was still getting by new seal.
Just a thought. Good luck.

dave42

Leander, TX C.K.U.
I have heard of a bad windscreen seal causing a leak, though that was on the driver side. But possibly?

Jaskim06

Well.,dang leak slowed waaaaayyy down now that I put 2 holes in the seal on the bottom of the door. Yes I did check the hood release cable and grommet in the firewall. No dry rot or leaks around any of that. Somehow it's getting under the seal on the car itself.not the door. The door rubber seems to have been holding water/absorbing it w.t.h. ????? The bottom door drains are clear.previously checked them with compressed air and small wire probing... I'm gettin boggled and more confused...prolly have to disassemble the whole door to see if I can find any water trails. It is weird that the (door) rubber seal was holding water and now that I put holes in the bottom of the rubber door seal,it's less wet on the sill now.
Every spring and fall I use either a tub of Vaseline melted mixed with a lil bit of Trans fluid or mineral oil. Plug up the drains after you make sure they clear and use a hose and a syringe like you get in kids Tylenol or a long piece of brakeline or whatever and pour this concoction down in door so it will seal out any moisture. Dont be afraid to pour it in there. Put it to it. You can save it when it runs out and use it over again. Anywhere that you know water will sit. Ive not had any rust issues for over a decade. Its cheap and easy. You don't need all these things just mineral oil will work but I like to make sure!! Get a small piece of hose section and a coat hanger covered in plastic or like piece and I put everywhere. Rockers, drill a few holes in back door c pillars if you want more access. There a hole there already. Just go around and do this everywhere and no more rust issues. It's cheap and effective. I used to use fluid film too but it gets expensive at $10 a can. I still use it up higher in fenders and places where oil can't sit. I also used a product from Eastwood that comes with a hose with a conical tip that works excellent!! It's called internal frame coating. Stops rust and coats in either green or black rust stopping coating and won't rust. Good for frame, fenders etc where we have rust issues with these cars. They also make something like fluid film too. The nozzle will work on most spray cans of whatever. So clean it out right after use. Never used that though. This lil trick will save you alot of time and money if you plan to keep your car a long time!! I live in Pa so I wage war with salt and rust every year. So far I'm winning!! You can use whatever mix of things you want. Want to smell better use baby oil. Smells great. Trans fluid sticks around for a week or so. But I don't mind cause I know it's saving me alot of money and time in rust repair. Use a product called ospho to stop rust and convert so its dead. I use that then my oils trick. Over a decade of no new rust.

Jaskim06

2005 Town Car. This is looking at the engine side of the passenger firewall. I have resealed the cowl fresh air inlet to stop the usual water leak. I also tightened the nuts that hold the black fan and evap housing. I have seen water coming out the bottom of the evap housing with the A/C on. Where does the red circled drain come from and should that have water coming out of it as well during normal A/C use?

View attachment 10034
I posted this before somewhere but here it is again. I've been dealing with these cars for decades now. The drain will start a bad rust spot on the frame right where the a frame starts at frame corner. Right on side and top. My friend buys these cars and told me about this spot a long time ago. My 99 Cartier had this issue and I didn't know it. So either attach a hose around it so that the water drains off frame or reroute it however but if you don't it will rust out and it starts from inside so time you see it it's almost too late. I had to put a hose over top and get it draining off inside of frame and spot last and weld up and traet the rust with ospho and it was a bear to do. I never knew this until he showed me on my car. If you look on left side of passenger wheel while steering is turned to the left or right all the way you'll see a lil tiny spot looking back at you. It looks like nothing until you look on top of frame and realize it's rusting inside towards the outside. Hers what I did to can't and stop it from happening. Well worth the money. Works great and is easier than cutting, sandblasting and welding.

Attachments

• 16193743773032298339511841186559.jpg
    16193743773032298339511841186559.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 15

Jaskim06

View attachment 10034
This is what I'm referring too. My car was a southern car so ac was on its whole life. It leaks down right on top and goes inside of frame and rots from inside out. Very bad design. Alot of these panther cars get junked because of this issue. If it's too late it's too expensive and then safety becomes an issue

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210425-141626_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210425-141626_Google.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 18

btesar

Durham, NC
I had the windshield replaced and they indicated that they saw evidence on 3 places where the water was leaking through the seal. Time will tell, but I hope this was the source of the water leak on the front passenger side.

Jaskim06

I had the windshield replaced and they indicated that they saw evidence on 3 places where the water was leaking through the seal. Time will tell, but I hope this was the source of the water leak on the front passenger side.
Good. I hope it was. I was spraying some Ospho on my 99 that has frame issue I was talking about. I'll get a good pic so everyone can see the spot I'm talking about.

JLM

Houston, TX
Any update? My '04 Ultimate has the same exact leak at the same spot as yours when it rains. It has no sunroof, cowl drains are clean and clear, and I preemptively RTV'd the HVAC intake years ago.

Towncarlimoguy

Any update? My '04 Ultimate has the same exact leak at the same spot as yours when it rains. It has no sunroof, cowl drains are clean and clear, and I preemptively RTV'd the HVAC intake years ago.
Check the firewall where the hood release cable goes thru. One of mine had it there too, besides the passenger side under hood area.