Water Leak on Floor - 2006 Town Car

Towncarlimoguy

It’s either coming in behind the glove box from under the hood by the cabin air filter or from the fire wall by the good release

Discobee

On my previous 2005 I followed this Youtuber's method and it worked great.....my current 2005 hasn't leaked yet, but i think I will do this preemptively just so I don't run into this issue later on.

Towncarlimoguy

Gotta love a water leak that’s been around for a long long time that Ford never addressed. Lol. Luckily it’s an easy fix. I’ve done a few of them on my Lincoln’s including the current one. Didn’t use that thing he used. I brought mine to the body shop at work this time around and had them do it and put my hood ornament on too.

Babyburr

On my previous 2005 I followed this Youtuber's method and it worked great.....my current 2005 hasn't leaked yet, but i think I will do this preemptively just so I don't run into this issue later on.

This is what I did. I believe it’s good to go. YeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaa! I’m gonna check it again before I put the cowel cover on. Ford should have used this kind of seal in the first place. Now, I’ve got to dry out my carpet.

Babyburr

Wasn’t difficult at all.

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
So my journey continues lol. I am finally able to locate where I believe the water is coming in. The entry point appears to be directly under my e-brake. It appears to be coming in from the seam on the car. I can't see any visible flow of water other than directly on that epoxy/sealant whatever that tan stuff is. Anyone want to take a shot in the dark as to where this is coming in from :)

1610477070127.png

Towncarlimoguy

So my journey continues lol. I am finally able to locate where I believe the water is coming in. The entry point appears to be directly under my e-brake. It appears to be coming in from the seam on the car. I can't see any visible flow of water other than directly on that epoxy/sealant whatever that tan stuff is. Anyone want to take a shot in the dark as to where this is coming in from :)
One of my a Lincoln’s had it coming in thru the hood release on the firewall or wherever it is under the hood. Seal up that whole area.
View attachment 9557

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
@Towncarlimoguy did you mean to post something?

@Babyburr, thanks, I am comfortable doing the patch once I have 100% confirmed where the leak is coming from.

I "think" and I pray I am correct, but I think I have traced it back to the grommet that passes through to the drivers door. I don't know when the next dry couple of days will be where I could lay down some RTV on the suspected culprit and actually have it dry. At this point all my carpet and padding is pulled away so it won't get wet in the meantime. What a headache lol

Babyburr

I really wasn’t joking about that flex seal. I’m go to use the spray flex seal on all those areas on firewall where water could possibly get into interior.

Towncarlimoguy

@Towncarlimoguy did you mean to post something?

@Babyburr, thanks, I am comfortable doing the patch once I have 100% confirmed where the leak is coming from.

I "think" and I pray I am correct, but I think I have traced it back to the grommet that passes through to the drivers door. I don't know when the next dry couple of days will be where I could lay down some RTV on the suspected culprit and actually have it dry. At this point all my carpet and padding is pulled away so it won't get wet in the meantime. What a headache lol
Yes sorry. Don’t know what happened. My leak was coming in thru the firewall where the hood release goes thru. Aside from the usual spot under the windshield where the drain is.

Koach

I didn't attempt to smear sealant goop around the area. Access is tight and wasn't sure how effective I'd be...so instead, I connected a diverter tube to the drivers side drain...a little WD40 to slide it on and a zip tie to secure- haven't had an issue since installation (Sept).
Ensure the drain is completely clear and perform a post installation leak check. I had my son pour water down the windshield while I inspected.

Attachments

• driver drain 1.jpg
    driver drain 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 10
  • driver drain 2.jpg
    driver drain 2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 10

Koach

Wish I had seen the refrigerator door seal tip before using 1.5 tubes of goop on the passenger side...prep and application would've been a lot simpler.

IMO- these two repairs were minor. It was the collateral damage that had me swearing at Ford. I was not happy having to remove seats/carpet a day after purchasing the car...an overnight torrential downpour left me awakening to the pic below literally a day after purchasing. This BS along with my 2018 F150, that I had just gotten rid of for similar cabin leaks and other problems (10sp trans, driveline vibrations) had me cursing Ford. Especially since it was the end of Aug/beginning of Sep in Central FL...dripping sweat, but hey, it was the best time to dry out the carpet.

Attachments

• IMG_7442.jpg
    IMG_7442.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 7

Babyburr

Yeah, the refrigerator seal is a lot easier to use and neater looking than all that goop!
Oh yeah, I’m still drying out my carpet. Just glad it was only the right rear carpet.

Towncarlimoguy

Wish I had seen the refrigerator door seal tip before using 1.5 tubes of goop on the passenger side...prep and application would've been a lot simpler.

IMO- these two repairs were minor. It was the collateral damage that had me swearing at Ford. I was not happy having to remove seats/carpet a day after purchasing the car...an overnight torrential downpour left me awakening to the pic below literally a day after purchasing. This BS along with my 2018 F150, that I had just gotten rid of for similar cabin leaks and other problems (10sp trans, driveline vibrations) had me cursing Ford. Especially since it was the end of Aug/beginning of Sep in Central FL...dripping sweat, but hey, it was the best time to dry out the carpet.
My 07 looked like that. I just took the seats out, the rug and let it sit until it dried. Only thing to do really. Ford just didn’t give a crap about the water leaks