Water Leak on Floor - 2006 Town Car

Koach

My 07 looked like that. I just took the seats out, the rug and let it sit until it dried. Only thing to do really. Ford just didn’t give a crap about the water leaks

Yeah, I determined after a day or two of trying that the thick foam padding would never dry unless removed and left to cook for a few days.

dave42

Leander, TX C.K.U.
When I had this problem I just applied some ghetto engineering. Most of the wet was in the right rear, as usual from the fresh air intake leak. I laid out a microfiber towel in the rear floor and repeatedly pressed down into it with my fist to soak up water. When it was saturated, I wrung it out and repeated. A whole bunch of times, until I just wasn't getting anything beyond mild dampness. Did same in front, though less there. Then left windows open for a few days. That was 5 years ago. Never had any musty smell. Could there be rust under there? Possibly. I'll never know. Right side seat tracks are okay.

Babyburr

That’s exactly what I did. After soaking up water for three days, I put a fan in the back and let that dry it out for a few days. Then, the last couple of days I’ve been using my wife’s hair dryer to really get deep into carpet to dry padding. Think it’s good to go. No musty smell. I know it’s done this before because the seat leg is rusty. This has been a real PITA!

Captain O

I looked on Youtube and rodded-out the drain beneath the hood. This should alleviate my problem.

Babyburr

Yeah, it’s liquid rubber and cures hard. So far so good.

Babyburr

I’m gonna remember that for my next Lincoln with a water leaks lol. Did you use it around the passenger side vent area where the drain is?
I made a new seal for the fresh air box out of the seal material used to seal refrigerator doors. I didn’t like the messy rtv stuff that some folks were using. After I installed it I ran my hose over windshield for a while. No leaks into fresh air box.

Towncarlimoguy

I made a new seal for the fresh air box out of the seal material used to seal refrigerator doors. I didn’t like the messy rtv stuff that some folks were using. After I installed it I ran my hose over windshield for a while. No leaks into fresh air box.
Cool. I had the leak fix at the body shop at work but next time I’ll do it myself with the flex seal and this stuff you just mentioned

TownCarCharlie

FWIW, I just had the same issue with the fresh air intake, wet right rear floor board, etc.... having the pro’s replace the deteriorated foam gasket material at two places in the right wiper cowl with seam sealer. They are well aware of this common issue and confident that this will fix it. Very reasonable price, imo, as well.

My plan for pulling the moisture out of the carpet/foam is to use desiccant bags (from amazon) laid on the floor. I’ll just keep swapping & regenerating as needed. Has anyone tried this?

As I type this, I’m wondering if it would be worth having them look at the e-brake seal as well? As a preventative measure.

Towncarlimoguy

FWIW, I just had the same issue with the fresh air intake, wet right rear floor board, etc.... having the pro’s replace the deteriorated foam gasket material at two places in the right wiper cowl with seam sealer. They are well aware of this common issue and confident that this will fix it. Very reasonable price, imo, as well.

My plan for pulling the moisture out of the carpet/foam is to use desiccant bags (from amazon) laid on the floor. I’ll just keep swapping & regenerating as needed. Has anyone tried this?

As I type this, I’m wondering if it would be worth having them look at the e-brake seal as well? As a preventative measure.
All of my Lincoln’s had the water leak by the fresh air intake and one of them, my 07, also had the leak by the hood release on the firewall. Can’t hurt to look there too. I just bought an 05 yesterday and the floor is wet! Last night I vacuumed the rug to get the water out, as much as possible anyway, and today it’s at the body shop for the fix.

Babyburr

Never thought about the desiccant pouches. Just ordered two.
Thanks for the idea.

Blueox

Just removed the upper piece of the cowling. Found that the previous owner must have had a problem. One of the two long plastic screws was broken. Found that the drain was fully plugged. Removed second layer and my gasket was good. Hope that works. Pretty easy access. I too am not fond of RTV. Desiccant. Never thought of that.

G-394540

Have a 2006 town car and when I'm driving it and it rains water shows up on the floor of the right rear floor. Cannot see anywhere that it is coming in. Has anyone had this problem and know the solution? Had a 1/2 inch of standing water on last trip and the bottom plug is tight. Thanks
Did you find out anything my 99 is doing the Same thing

Towncarlimoguy

Yes. Standard Lincoln leak. It’s coming from under the hood where the fresh air comes in passenger side. The seal is rotted. Pretty easy fix. You tube video it or search this very thread for more info. Also, it can come thru the firewall where the hood release goes thru.

TownCarCharlie

I took it to a shop, they used seam sealer to make the very common leak repairs at the wiper cowl. Also, I had the carpet pulled out. The higher quality backing was saturated and near impossible to dry out completely while in the vehicle. I wanted to ensure that mold and mildew wouldn’t be an issue in the future. It also made it easier to get any rust issues identified & addressed. This is a project that seems to be handled by many themselves, just requiring time and space.

Towncarlimoguy

I took it to a shop, they used seam sealer to make the very common leak repairs at the wiper cowl. Also, I had the carpet pulled out. The higher quality backing was saturated and near impossible to dry out completely while in the vehicle. I wanted to ensure that mold and mildew wouldn’t be an issue in the future. It also made it easier to get any rust issues identified & addressed. This is a project that seems to be handled by many themselves, just requiring time and space.
See my post above.

If there was a leak the carpet has to come out to dry. The carpet will permanently be damp if it remains in the car after fixing the cowl leak.