Water Leak on Floor - 2006 Town Car

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

btesar

Durham, NC
Fortunately, that side is dry, but I know it's a problem area for Panthers too.
Yes! I was very excited to finally locate mine. I was on the verge of having a collision center look at it for $300 to see what they could find. However, the front windshield was an aftermarket replacement. So, I talked to my glass shop and they could put in a new Lincoln windshield for $400. I explained why I was looking to replace a non-cracked windshield. During the replacement, they could see 3 places on the right side that had water leaking past the seal. So, with a new windshield I have not had any issues since. Has your windshield ever been replaced?

JLM

Houston, TX
Yes! I was very excited to finally locate mine. I was on the verge of having a collision center look at it for $300 to see what they could find. However, the front windshield was an aftermarket replacement. So, I talked to my glass shop and they could put in a new Lincoln windshield for $400. I explained why I was looking to replace a non-cracked windshield. During the replacement, they could see 3 places on the right side that had water leaking past the seal. So, with a new windshield I have not had any issues since. Has your windshield ever been replaced?
Nope, it's the original Carlite/Lincoln windshield with 190,000 miles of sandblast wear on it. I should've replaced it 100k mi ago on the sandblasting alone, but it's been serviceable, but I could use a new windshield, and like you, I would want OEM glass. Glad to hear it fixed your leak! I mean mine is in the exact same place as yours. Only that little corner of the carpet gets wet.

btesar

Durham, NC
Nope, it's the original Carlite/Lincoln windshield with 190,000 miles of sandblast wear on it. I should've replaced it 100k mi ago on the sandblasting alone, but it's been serviceable, but I could use a new windshield, and like you, I would want OEM glass. Glad to hear it fixed your leak! I mean mine is in the exact same place as yours. Only that little corner of the carpet gets wet.
I had the interior out for 2 months and spent many days while it was raining with a scope trying to see where it was coming from. i couldn't replicate it with a hose. It took a long steady rain to appear. The cavity behind the door hinges was dry and the fresh air cowl wasn't leaking. I was really running out of options.

sraynes

Have a 2006 town car and when I'm driving it and it rains water shows up on the floor of the right rear floor. Cannot see anywhere that it is coming in. Has anyone had this problem and know the solution? Had a 1/2 inch of standing water on last trip and the bottom plug is tight. Thanks
Ours ended up being a blocked water drain channel that was from the roof in some way. At any rate the dealer identified it and cleaned it or whatever they do and it solved the issue. It was my moms Lincoln and she lived in East Texas. Lots of pine trees. The pine needles had clogged up one of the drain channels.

Dan B

I fixed mine. It was pretty easy. There is a leak under the cowling on the passenger side. The black plastic pieces come off and you use silicone caulk to seal it back up.

1985 Owner

I bought a 1985 Town Car in July. After it rained a lot, I noticed that the rear driver's side floor was soaked and had standing water in it. Then I found this thread about water leaks on the floors of various Lincolns. I took off the vent top as prescribed in this thread and sealed it with Form-a-Gasket. Since then, no more standing water!

But how did water get from the air intake vent to the rear driver's side floor? The other posts in this thread says it happens on the passenger side front or rear. Is it somehow different in an 85?

Last edited:

G-530944

I bought a 1985 Town Car in July. After it rained a lot, I noticed that the rear driver's side floor was soaked and had standing water in it. Then I found this thread about water leaks on the floors of various Lincolns. I took off the vent top as prescribed in this thread and sealed it with Form-a-Gasket. Since then, no more standing water!

But how did water get from the air intake vent to the rear driver's side floor? The other posts in this thread says it happens on the passenger side front or rear. Is it somehow different in an 85?
The carpet seems to wick the water to the lowest point in the interior. Do you typically park in a spot with the left rear lower then the rest of the car?

1985 Owner

Do you typically park in a spot with the left rear lower then the rest of the car?
Actually . . . yes. My driveway is sloped toward a drain in the middle. My car is parked forward of the slope, so the drain is near the rear passenger side wheel. The rear driver's side floor would be the lowest spot in the car at that point.

Babyburr

It gets there due to a very crappy design by Ford. You’ve sealed up Ford’s horrible cheap seal so just make sure you keep the area under the cowl clean so drain holes don’t get plugged up. I love my Town Car, but I believe they could have had a better design for a Luxury Car. Don’t you?

dave42

Leander, TX C.K.U.
It gets there due to a very crappy design by Ford. You’ve sealed up Ford’s horrible cheap seal so just make sure you keep the area under the cowl clean so drain holes don’t get plugged up. I love my Town Car, but I believe they could have had a better design for a Luxury Car. Don’t you?
Well, the cars are no longer in warranty by the time the seal fails. Rich folks (who buy TC's new) don't keep their cars that long, they go buy a new one. At least, that's my theory. :)