Water Leak on Floor - 2006 Town Car

rscott

Have a 2006 town car and when I'm driving it and it rains water shows up on the floor of the right rear floor. Cannot see anywhere that it is coming in. Has anyone had this problem and know the solution? Had a 1/2 inch of standing water on last trip and the bottom plug is tight. Thanks

TownCars1

Houston/TX
This is awesome! It's been at least a few weeks since this same question has been asked for the millionth time, so I was feeling a little empty inside! God forbid they ever make this a sticky. If they did that with this question, and the air springs, and the A/C vents, you could shut this forum down.

All2kool

Portland, OR
Have a 2006 town car and when I'm driving it and it rains water shows up on the floor of the right rear floor. Cannot see anywhere that it is coming in. Has anyone had this problem and know the solution? Had a 1/2 inch of standing water on last trip and the bottom plug is tight. Thanks
Your Fresh Air Intake seal has failed. Very common issue. It's a 30 minute repair and a $4 tube of silicone. See this YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uav0Xj7zlk

wimpy

Charlotte, NC

And his car winds up parked on a hill with the car leaning right.

wimpy

Charlotte, NC

And his car winds up parked on a hill with the car leaning right.

driller

Morgantown, WV
Well here is another one! Today 5-2-15. Was getting some stuff out of back seat in my 2007 (late build 7/2007) Signature Limited TC. Found the passenger side rear floorboard carpet soaked with water. Was the only area I found wet?, Front floorboards, & under dash, & both sides front was DRY AS A BONE? HOW in He**&? can the rear R/R be wet and not the front passenger floorboard? IF this is from rainwater. Has NOT RAINED in ~ 11 days here. And car has been parked for about a week. I will perform the Fresh Air Intake Re-seal Repair as depicted in UT video. Is silicone best sealant to use?

I Have seen some other threads & posts, saying the water issue can also be coming from HVAC drain, if drain is plugged up, under evaporator coil. But wouldn't that get the front floorboards wet too? By the way where do you find the evap drain?, I searched & searched ? best I could reach under the evap cover, can't locate the drain? Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks Paul..

Maddog7

Well I'm tickeled! This fix seems to have solved my water leak. In my case, the lions share of the water was pooling on the drivers side front foot pan. The car has been sitting a couple day in rain and no leaks! Yay! Thanks again you forum gurus!

rnch

I was shocked to find the passenger's side rear floor mat FLOATING in a pool of water after several days of hard rain. Although the foam seal didn't look at all deteriorated; I followed the above advice and silicone sealed it.

No More Water Leaks!

Thanks, guys.

awlkrsn

I had the same thing happen to my 00 T.C. fresh air intake was the culprit . Tube of Permatex black RTV and 15 minutes HISTORY

Klincoln

Columbus Ohio
: helllllp...��Well I did have the infamous floating carpet on passenger side,now fixed thanks to this site!!!!. Now I have been having water on my DRIVER side getting in when it rains hard from somewhere near the front part and bottom of the door. I know it's not from under the dash as I have watched and inspected as it was raining hard just recently.I swear it looks like it's getting in from under the damm perimeter seal! The door is showing signs of long neglected attention i.e. Rust in a peculiar upper part of the lower door. ( not the very bottom ) just below where the inner door plastics are attached. The other doors look like new especially since the TC only has 66,000 miles. I'm wondering if the (rubber seals) are holding water and causing it to rust like that. I wish I could put pix up o show what is very weird about this....

Last edited:

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Have you checked the driver door drains? If they are plugged then water will rise in the door until it finds an opening. Have you checked your suspected leak using a paper towel to determine the presence of water and following that to the source.

A common problem leading to water on the left side of the driver's floor area is the hood operating cable. The cable passes through the bulkhead and is sealed by a grommet on the engine side of bulkhead. That grommet is directly below the drain from the driver side wiper arm in the engine compartment. The grommet looses its seal on the cable over time and water leaks in quite low and wets the carpet near the front of the driver door. Putting some paper towel under the hood pull and further forward may show some water. If you find the leak there then seal the hood cable grommet.

Good luck.

Klincoln

Columbus Ohio
Well.,dang leak slowed waaaaayyy down now that I put 2 holes in the seal on the bottom of the door. Yes I did check the hood release cable and grommet in the firewall. No dry rot or leaks around any of that. Somehow it's getting under the seal on the car itself.not the door. The door rubber seems to have been holding water/absorbing it w.t.h. ????? The bottom door drains are clear.previously checked them with compressed air and small wire probing... I'm gettin boggled and more confused...prolly have to disassemble the whole door to see if I can find any water trails. It is weird that the (door) rubber seal was holding water and now that I put holes in the bottom of the rubber door seal,it's less wet on the sill now.

Klincoln

Columbus Ohio
Wow that is quite the rust problem.
Right now it is only surface deep. No holes yet
That is the area where water was sitting in between the closure and the door. I think it affected my rocker panels under the car too. Still working on a solution and haven't found one as of yet. Any idea how to retard the rust progression? Thanks.

Last edited:

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
When rust bubbles through the paint like that you have perforations in the metal. I think the rusted metal needs to be cut out and new metal welded into place. As Slick Fan says you will need to look further to get the scope of the problem.

Good luck.

HTML