2020 standard lincoln corsair missing engine appearance cover

hak36

So i recently reserved a standard trim 2020 corsair from a third party dealer who's bought it from the ford/lincoln dealership directly (I've called and verified that the car is indeed brand new and purchased from them).
A few days ago i was there assessing the car. I pop open the hood and lo and behold the engine is without an appearance cover. The employees at the dealership claim they don't know how that is. I told them to open the hood of another 2020 standard corsair (which was already also sold) and i did infact see the cover there.
I did some digging around and saw some reviews on youtube. The 2021 corsairs (or at least some of the ones i saw reviews of) had no engine covers, yet aa of the 2020 reviews had them.
Any idea why this might be? I read on some forum somewhere that all corsairs produced after june 2020 came without the engine cover due to supply chain issues, but i wasn't able to verify that. If anyone has any idea/can point me to some official lincoln documentation as to why this may be, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Eric1GT

Got mine for $85 with the stud and nut. Went through local Ford dealer as Lincoln dealer says "it"s not available"
I called today and my Lincoln dealer also said it's not available, and said it was only for appearance. Sound deadening makes sense, and I also like the cleaner look.

I assume it was for the Escape engine so it fit great?

Stu

I called today and my Lincoln dealer also said it's not available, and said it was only for appearance. Sound deadening makes sense, and I also like the cleaner look.

I assume it was for the Escape engine so it fit great?
The cover part # is for a Lincoln 2.0 Liter. Comes with the Lincoln logo. It is probably the same for all FoMoCo 2.0 turbo engines. My local Ford dealer was more help than the Lincoln dealer.

JB IN AZ

My dealer is a Ford/Lincoln dealer. They were willing to order the part # I gave them, (thanks to the group here! And Stu!) $130 for the cover and 4 studs, as they will not sell me one stud..they come on a box of 4. And, this is a discounted price! And no returns. I'll order it online.

A $50 000+ car and no engine cover! I wish I had opened the hood before I got it home. I can afford the parts, it just stinks.

Corsart

My dealer is a Ford/Lincoln dealer. They were willing to order the part # I gave them, (thanks to the group here! And Stu!) $130 for the cover and 4 studs, as they will not sell me one stud..they come on a box of 4. And, this is a discounted price! And no returns. I'll order it online.

A $50 000+ car and no engine cover! I wish I had opened the hood before I got it home. I can afford the parts, it just stinks.

If it's not in the computer for your model or year, and the parts guy doesn't do some sleuthing to find a cross match, then you're more likely to get a blank stare and "Unavailable". That's why it's often bets to do your own research.

Make sure the corresponding bolt that attaches to the upper left front (recessed) stud is included.

I agree about the absence of the engine cover, it's really incomprehensible how Lincoln can delete things that are so obviously expected.

JB IN AZ

Thank you all for your help! I am truly surprised by the results I received from the parts dept. at the only Ford/Lincoln dealer near me. Even when I gave them the part numbers (THANK YOU @Stu ) they still say it will not/might not fit.

Additionally, while I understand that many owners don't even open their hoods more than once of twice a year, or even care what the engine looks like, this seems to be a very blatant cost savings measure from Fords part. I suppose it is understandable that Ford was looking for a way to save a few bucks with all that has been going on in the world, pandemic, now chip shortage, but this is a high end vehicle, or at least it is supposed to be. Yet all kinds of $18,000 entry level vehicles from other manufacturers have an engine cover. This sets a bad tone for me as a new and first time Lincoln owner. What else have the "cheaped out on" that is not visible? My sales guy, who I have dealt with for 6 or 7 years even said it was deleted due to heating issues. Yeah right!

Cruisesinc92

The engine cover is available thru parts, it should have one if only for added sound absorption...it's made of a foam material. Make sure to get the mounting stud for the upper right corner.
A squirrel got into our 2020 Corsair engine and built a nest in the depression of our engine cover.
Chewed up some of the cover . Cost me $100
for a new engine cover .

Eric1GT

The cover part # is for a Lincoln 2.0 Liter. Comes with the Lincoln logo. It is probably the same for all FoMoCo 2.0 turbo engines. My local Ford dealer was more help than the Lincoln dealer.
Thank you Stu! I actually got better help from Lincoln, as one would hope and expect... Nice that it has the Lincoln logo, as I just ordered it from Lincoln, and the parts guy said it came up on his "Snap-On" (tool co.) system for the MKC and Nautilus. Bingo. They apparently don't want Corsair customers getting frustrated or upset and asking the dealer to put on the cover that was "expected" and indicated by the existing mounting studs for the front of the cover. They have the standard response that it's "not available for Corsair."

And it was a little more expensive at Lincoln. Like the hitch that was more than the cost of the same hitch and bike rack at U-Haul, where my dealer referred me when they had trouble getting me a 1.25" hitch.

Eric1GT

Totally agree. Just had a call from my dad asking to help him locate his Homelink remote in a new 2021 VW Arteon. I suggested looking in his manual index, and it wasn't there under Homelink or Garage Door Opener, like Corsair is, despite having Homelink featured in the first paragraph in our manual. Anyway, his $43K Arteon, as with any trim level up to the fully (sic) loaded $49K model does not come with a simple garage door opener remote control. At least we Corsair owners can choose to get the cover. Cutting corners is sad. My brother just looked at a $90K F450 and it was no longer built with the hood sound deadening insulation "carpet" piece. Not at all, but he said the stud mountings were still there like our engine has the studs, but no cover.

bigblue2007

Boston, MA
Even $40 or $50 per unit cost across the thousands of Corsairs sold annually is a good chunk of change. But a lame decision for sure.
Mine has the cover due to being a January 2020 build but this is supposed to be a luxury car. Even a Chevy comes with an engine cover.

Corsart

Even $40 or $50 per unit cost across the thousands of Corsairs sold annually is a good chunk of change. But a lame decision for sure.

I would seriously doubt the cost to Ford is that high. Whatever the cost, though, multiplied by the 20k units sold last year, the savings do add up. But it's a balance btwn cost savings and lost sales: At some point, your customers (or prospective customers) begin to take notice and you never want to go there as a manufacturer. Of all the nits people seem to pick, the engine cover is one of the loudest complaints. Lincoln clearly didn't anticipate this....even though I think it's a no brainer: They (cynically) figured that not many prospects flip the hood open in the showroom and therefore wouldn't notice. Bad call, not only bc they do, but more importantly, bc of the cynical attitude this reveals towards their target audience. I'm a Lincoln owner and a car enthusiast, And I'm under the age of 75.

American cars lost their way bc of the emphasis on short term profitability rather than long tern market share. No one company ever saved their way to leadership.

Corsart

The sad thing is I doubt Ford cares which is the problem.
Although its always risky to get into other's heads, I'm inclined to agree here. A car company needs to balance short term profits with the desirability of long term profits, and American car companies have almost always chosen the former. And that's a large part of why the automotive landscape is no longer the sole province of the domestics.

afh3

Minnesota
It is my understanding that the appearance-cover plays at least some part in acoustic management of engine noise - in that it is/was constructed of a vibration-damping material.

As such, it would be more than just an appearance change, but an actual functional change as well.

As anyone here, who has received the numerous surveys after buying, can tell you, automobile purchases are based largely on perception, sentiment and brand loyalty.

For a premium brand to arbitrarily decontent this is only going to generate negative feelings.

bigblue2007

Boston, MA
Although its always risky to get into other's heads, I'm inclined to agree here. A car company needs to balance short term profits with the desirability of long term profits, and American car companies have almost always chosen the former. And that's a large part of why the automotive landscape is no longer the sole province of the domestics.

This is a chance for Lincoln to change perceptions but things like giving the reserve the hard touch plastic on the doors, removing the temp LED screen, changing the rear cup holders to match the escape, removing the small net in the cargo area, not providing the cargo cover, making the spare donut an option without offering run flat tires, removing the engine cover, etc leave a bad impression