Town Car air suspension problems? Read this thread!

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

spurlockda

Hi, spurlockda.

The service manual DVDs are most likely legit. Like any eBay seller, check out their reviews and so on, to make sure they are a "legit" seller who consistently delivers what they claim to be selling.

Before buying the DVD, make sure it includes all the manuals for your car. If it has a bunch of other Lincolns, but not your year of Town Car, it's a waste of time even if they pay you $10 to take it.

Also, confirm whether this is a "factory printed" DVD or a "home copy." The "home copy" DVD won't last nearly as long as a factory-printed DVD, because home-writable DVDs trade off longevity for being able to be "burned" by a consumer instead of being "printed" in a factory and being unchangeable. This lack of longevity does need to be taken into consideration.

Good luck.
See, I replied to myself?

Stand by. That was a lot to digest for an old war horse who spent more time IN the military than as a civilian. We didn't have to use ebay much.

I copy all that you said - I think? If I end up with some Edsel manuals then I'll know I didn't understand as well as I thought :oops::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
See, I replied to myself?

Stand by. That was a lot to digest for an old war horse who spent more time IN the military than as a civilian. We didn't have to use ebay much.

I copy all that you said - I think? If I end up with some Edsel manuals then I'll know I didn't understand as well as I thought :oops::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Hi, spurlockda.

I don't actually use eBay myself directly, and it has nothing to do with getting a lifetime monthly payment from our favorite Uncle. If I need to by something off of eBay, I give my younger sister the money and she buys it for me. I just don't need enough of the stuff on eBay to set up an account as a buyer. I also don't have the time to spend messing with eBay to get a good buyer or seller rating.

The way Ford splits up their manuals can vary from year to year. One year, everything for your car is in one book. Another year, and you have to buy six, eight, fifteen(?). So you have to be careful that everything you need is on the DVD you're looking at.

Before my father quit working on his own cars, he used to buy the Ford manuals from Helm the same month he bought the Ford the manuals covered. For the 1975 E150 Club Wagon and the 1977 Ford Grenada, he had to buy every manual Ford had Helm print that year. For his '67 Custom 500 and his '79 LTD, one book per car. But that ''77 manual set was the bomb when I had my '78 Town Car.

Good luck.

spurlockda

OK, I think I got a good one that seems to legit but I won't know for sure until it shows up.

I received my air springs today and the other things by Friday but I haven't heard (via email) from Tasca shipping yet?

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
OK, I think I got a good one that seems to legit but I won't know for sure until it shows up.

I received my air springs today and the other things by Friday but I haven't heard (via email) from Tasca shipping yet?

Hi, spurlockda.

Tasca seems a bit slow sometimes. They will send an email with tracking info once the order ships.

Good luck.

Towncarlimoguy

Do you guys know if this is the same setup in an 01? I don't have the suspension issue but it's good to know things ahead of time should it arise. Thanks.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Do you guys know if this is the same setup in an 01? I don't have the suspension issue but it's good to know things ahead of time should it arise. Thanks.

Hi, Towncarlimoguy.

Yes; all 2001 Lincoln Town Cars were equipped from the factory with air springs on the rear axles.

While some parts, including the air springs themselves were typically different between limos and regular 119" and 124" wheelbase Town Cars (I say typically because some coach builders may have bought "normal" cars to stretch instead of ordering actual "made to stretch" cars) such as the air springs themselves, every 2001 Town Car was built with the same system. In fact, the air springs only became optional IIRC for the last two model years.

Good luck.

Danmanltc

Hi, Towncarlimoguy.

Yes; all 2001 Lincoln Town Cars were equipped from the factory with air springs on the rear axles.

While some parts, including the air springs themselves were typically different between limos and regular 119" and 124" wheelbase Town Cars (I say typically because some coach builders may have bought "normal" cars to stretch instead of ordering actual "made to stretch" cars) such as the air springs themselves, every 2001 Town Car was built with the same system. In fact, the air springs only became optional IIRC for the last two model years.

Good luck.
yeah... My 2011 (last year) has regular suspension, no air springs. I'm glad, less maintenance and issues. Mine also, weird, has the police package with 3.55 rear axle and 250 horsepower V8, not the 239horse, Close enough, lol. Police interceptor engine.

Towncarlimoguy

yeah... My 2011 (last year) has regular suspension, no air springs. I'm glad, less maintenance and issues. Mine also, weird, has the police package with 3.55 rear axle and 250 horsepower V8, not the 239horse, Close enough, lol. Police interceptor engine.
Nice little bump in power, but where did they use Lincoln’s for cop cars? Lol... I know they used the Crown Vic....

There is no PI specific engine. All Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis & Town Cars use the same engine 2v 4.6. The only difference is tuning. And the reason the CVPI makes more power comes from the 80mm MAF and tuning.

Do you have the 80mm MAF? If so someone else installed that cause that MAF is only on CVPI's and Marauders.

3.55 axle is probably because it was a limo prep car.

Towncarlimoguy

There is no PI specific engine. All Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis & Town Cars use the same engine 2v 4.6. The only difference is tuning. And the reason the CVPI makes more power comes from the 80mm MAF and tuning.

Do you have the 80mm MAF? If so someone else installed that cause that MAF is only on CVPI's and Marauders.

Hmm... 80mm maf.. might look into that for my ‘01

Danmanltc

I bought it from the original owner. There was no after market work done. When I first took it to Lincoln dealer 2 of mechanics and service manager wanted to buy it from me and told me what it had. They said it was an oddball rare custom order car that was made near end of the production run. Summer of 2011. The car also has a slightly stiffer ride than town cars. Still smoother than modern cars. dealer told me it was Stiffer shocks from P71 package. But it is the best handling town car I ever drove.

The measly 11 horse gain is from tune, 80mm MAF and different air box. I have to use marauder part # for air filter when I replaced filter.

Danmanltc

I bought it from the original owner. There was no after market work done. When I first took it to Lincoln dealer 2 of mechanics and service manager wanted to buy it from me and told me what it had. They said it was an oddball rare custom order car that was made near end of the production run. Summer of 2011. The car also has a slightly stiffer ride than town cars. Still smoother than modern cars. dealer told me it was Stiffer shocks from P71 package. But it is the best handling town car I ever drove.

The measly 11 horse gain is from tune, 80mm MAF and different air box. I have to use marauder part # for air filter when I replaced filter.
Also, my tires size is different, same as police cars, P235 55 17, not the P225 60 17. Found that out when I had to have tires replaced last year after getting the car. The guy kept saying tires weren't matching, what the computer told him for Town car, lol.

Towncarlimoguy

You would need a 04+ CVPI/Marauder airbox, 80mm MAF, adapt the IAT sensor to the air box lid and wiring for the MAF and you would need a tune because it won't run right until you do.
Nothing is ever easy. lol Thanks.

wolf_walker

You should document the crap out of that for posterity's sake. First I've ever heard of such.

wahoo

My 2005 Town car rear suspension sinks as I drive down the road, I stop and get out and check it out and it raises as I watch it. I drive down the road and it sinks again. I'm looking for tips on how I can start narrowing down what the culprit is.
replace with shocks springs