MKT Front Suspension

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

KFLoogSmith

Mar 9, 2022
My Lincoln
2012 MKT
The Ford Tech Makuloco on Youtube talks about all the possible flaws in this vehicle. Here are some of them:

#1. Water pump failure- Past 150000 miles water pump failure is an expensive possibility. Its a good idea to be aware and perform oil testing.

#2. Suspension- You need new lower front control arms every 120000 miles, struts/shocks every 50000 miles and swaybar endlinks when they break.

#3. Transmission fluid change...Get it flushed eveey 30000 miles and you wont have issue with the trans.

#4. Oil...Every 3000 miles change

#5. Plugs/coils change every 60000 miles.

#6. Coolant and thermostat every 80000 miles.

#7. PTU fluid every 30000 miles. Rear axle fluid every 50000 miles.
Interesting data.

Just searched Cargurus. They list 35 MKT livery vehicles for sale. 4 have over 300K miles, 12 have over 200K miles, 26 over 100K.

I wonder how many of these livery drivers changed oil every 3K miles, trans fluid every 30K miles. I would place my bet on their NOT doing so.

I also wonder how Makuloco determines that an oil change at 3K, as opposed to, say 4 or 5K, yields better results. How would he validate these data? The statistical uncertainty alone would be significant.

But, I'm a skeptic. Life's experiences have taught to to believe: nobody.

NavigatorPro

Mar 19, 2022
My Lincoln
2018 and 2021 Lincoln Navigator L
Interesting data.

Just searched Cargurus. They list 35 MKT livery vehicles for sale. 4 have over 300K miles, 12 have over 200K miles, 26 over 100K.

I wonder how many of these livery drivers changed oil every 3K miles, trans fluid every 30K miles. I would place my bet on their NOT doing so.

I also wonder how Makuloco determines that an oil change at 3K, as opposed to, say 4 or 5K, yields better results. How would he validate these data? The statistical uncertainty alone would be significant.

But, I'm a skeptic. Life's experiences have taught to to believe: nobody.

I have a 2019 Lincoln MKT "Town Car" bought from a fleet dealership and its used for Livery. This MKT is unlike the retail versions in that it is essentially a Ford Police Explorer Utility but with an MKT body. The rear bench is pushed back 2 inches as in the police application. The rear bench does not fold flat and inside the cargo area has 2 spare tires. It is designed to be rearended at 75 mph.

The drivetrain has heavy duty brakes, heavy duty transmission designed for the turbo version, 3.7 liter engine and heavy duty cooling....same as in police Explorer.

The Livery version is designed for heavier use.

If you dont change the trans fluid you will eventually get curious shifts. Keep in mind all these were sold with a 150k/4 year warranty.

KFLoogSmith

Mar 9, 2022
My Lincoln
2012 MKT
I have a 2019 Lincoln MKT "Town Car" bought from a fleet dealership and its used for Livery. This MKT is unlike the retail versions in that it is essentially a Ford Police Explorer Utility but with an MKT body. The rear bench is pushed back 2 inches as in the police application. The rear bench does not fold flat and inside the cargo area has 2 spare tires. It is designed to be rearended at 75 mph.

The drivetrain has heavy duty brakes, heavy duty transmission designed for the turbo version, 3.7 liter engine and heavy duty cooling....same as in police Explorer.

The Livery version is designed for heavier use.

If you dont change the trans fluid you will eventually get curious shifts. Keep in mind all these were sold with a 150k/4 year warranty.
Was interested in one, primarily because I don't want the 3rd row. However, I read yesterday that the livery version doesn't have heated front seats. That, and non retracting 2cd row would be deal breakers.

NavigatorPro

Mar 19, 2022
My Lincoln
Was interested in one, primarily because I don't want the 3rd row. However, I read yesterday that the livery version doesn't have heated front seats. That, and non retracting 2cd row would be deal breakers.
You can get heated seats installed in the aftermarket. You will not need the retractable seats. When the cargo cover is removed, full sized spare removed and 2nd row seat is fully upright you can fit 6 extra large suitcases. One suitcase fits into the bucket-like cavity while 5 others can stand upright. I would dare say the space behind the 2nd row can be compared to the Suburban cargo space.

For skis and boards there is a space above the 2nd row seats where I was able to place them over.

The 2nd row bench is made of a heavier duty leather then the retail version.

NavigatorPro

Mar 19, 2022
My Lincoln
The full sized spare by the way is part of the 75 mph collision system. Its there to absorb the impact. Also in the event of 2 flat tires you have 2 spares.

geullon10

Sep 27, 2022
My Lincoln
Michelle 2004
I’ve had my 2019 MKT for about 6 months and am mostly liking it. My only complaint is the front suspension. When I go over a pothole, manhole cover or large cracks in the road, it sounds and feels like I’m driving a Uhaul truck. There is a loud and forceful “thunk” which is concerning. I’ve had two dealers look at it and they both say the suspension is fine. I also have a 2019 Nautilus and it takes the same road challenges like there is nothing there and is smooth as butter. Anyone have any insight they can share? Thanks
I had the same problem and it was the links

NavigatorPro

Mar 19, 2022
My Lincoln
The end links are basically long thin rods and when you turn the wheel you can reach in to grab them. When the links are broken you will hear a clunking as the broken endlink hits the inner fender area. The endlinks last about 50000 miles.

If the endlinks are in good condition then its either the swaybar bushings or the front lower control arms. The lower arms last about 120000 miles. The problem is there is a large bushing in the lower arms which goes bad.

The dealers know about the lower arm bushing going bad but they dont want to replace it because its a pain to them.

When replacing the arms you also replace the endlinks as well.

Lastly standard shocks on the non-turbo MKTs only last 40000 miles and then the ride goes bad. Turbo MKTs have electronic shocks which last much longer. Even if a shock isnt leaking it still can be bad. Ford has a bounce test but the vehicle can pass the bounce test with bad poor riding shocks.

I had my lower arms replaced under extended warranty but I had to go to two dealers and twist the arm of the 2nd dealer telling them I know its the arms. They grudgingly did the job and it took 1 week to do. No one enjoys replacing arms.