MKT Front Suspension

Cherga

PA
I’ve had my 2019 MKT for about 6 months and am mostly liking it. My only complaint is the front suspension. When I go over a pothole, manhole cover or large cracks in the road, it sounds and feels like I’m driving a Uhaul truck. There is a loud and forceful “thunk” which is concerning. I’ve had two dealers look at it and they both say the suspension is fine. I also have a 2019 Nautilus and it takes the same road challenges like there is nothing there and is smooth as butter. Anyone have any insight they can share? Thanks

Davox6

I actually have been a reader of this forum for years , but never registered til I saw your post today.
I have a 2013 Lincoln MKT with approx 82K on it. I purchased this car fully loaded and love it EXCEPT
for the suspension with the 20" wheels. Every little bump I go over it seems like the bottom is going to fall out. I almost have to stop for the smallest bump I go over. Everytime I take it into the Lincoln dealer they say suspension checks out fine. Bought new tires and it didn't make a difference.
Have tried all the different ride controls on it, but doesn't make a difference. This car has the worst suspension system of any car I've had in the last 50 years. I'm not about to spend thousands on getting a different wheel size. I will keep this car because on an expressway it's super smooth, but this is not a good car for Michigan roads where everywhere you go the road is buckled or full of pot holes.

vinaygoel2000

Houston
Something doesn't seem right. I have 255/45/20 and don't experience and thump. Suspension and ride is smooth.

Can you check under left side odometer settings with steering wheel buttons to make sure you have the car in "Comfort Mode"?

Davox6

Tried the comfort mode and it did not make a difference.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Mine rides like a stone wagon, too. For a Lincoln, it has a horrible ride. I test drove a base model Kia Rio yesterday, and it was smoother than my Lincoln. My mom's '16 is smoother (a LOT less miles), but I can't say there's anything luxurious about the ride, or rear seat road noise, for that matter.

zebra03

It must be all in perspective . I traded in a Mustang GT for my MKT . I love the ride on mine . While my MKT is being fixed , my daily driver is a 2015 Super Duty . Once again , no comparison .

Davox6

From what I hear this particular problem is for the 20" wheels. I've read that people have switched to 18's
and have had a much smoother ride. Also they say you need the 20's if you have the tow package, which I do, but will never use.

SGilbert

South Bend, IN
Who ever "they" are---are nuts! 20" tires will necessarily have smaller aspect as opposed to 18" or 19". the larger the aspect, the greater the weight capacity can be, depending upon construction.

Davox6

Regardless about the tow package, the 20" wheels on this car are terrible on bad roads. Seems there is no dampening at all, you feel every bump.
Either the Lincoln dealer lied about nothing wrong with suspension (and why would he not want to make more money) or the 20" wheels are
just not a good fit for this car.

jtotton

Mine is s 2011 MKT. I had noticed this *thud*, but shrugged! "Old car!" I thought. I took it into the dealer for a "check engine" light and they also road tested it as I know it needs a brake job. The service advisor tells me I need to replace the control arm - safety issue! That, with the alignment, brake job and a few other assorted sundries, reminds me that there is no such thing as a "free ride". I paid cash and was looking forward to zero car payments. Instead, I am paying for lots of repairs!

vinaygoel2000

Houston
If you car is paid off (or out of warranty), why take it to a dealer? Why not a good ol' mechanic? Everyone knows how to repair Ford/Lincoln or any american brand.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Mine is s 2011 MKT. I had noticed this *thud*, but shrugged! "Old car!" I thought. I took it into the dealer for a "check engine" light and they also road tested it as I know it needs a brake job. The service advisor tells me I need to replace the control arm - safety issue! That, with the alignment, brake job and a few other assorted sundries, reminds me that there is no such thing as a "free ride". I paid cash and was looking forward to zero car payments. Instead, I am paying for lots of repairs!
Odds are, new control arms won't make the thud go away. One of mine were replaced due to a minor accident, and the noise didn't go away. New sway bar end links didn't help, either. I've learned to live with it until it's time to unload it.

It was just in for a water pump and timing chain job for almost $2,200, which my 3rd party warranty covered about $1,500 of it. Timing chain, tensioner, serpentine belt tensioner, oil dipstick nor fluids were covered, so my part of the job ended up being about $650. When I got it back, it was leaking gas from the high pressure fuel line. The dealer picked it up, fixed it, and returned it to me yesterday. Fingers crossed it's done with major issues for a while, or at least hope they happen before the warranty expires later this year.

I ended up picking up a 2005 Volvo S80 that needs a little work for a good price, and that'll end up being my daily driver.