Hankook tires on 2019 - 2020 Navigators

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Like I said it's more a function of tire size, not so much the tire but in almost all comparisons these particular Hankooks are not rated well at all. Look at TireRack and they are not well regarded at all.

turkeyfoot

I just seriously doubt I will be unhappy because of the tires, and if I changed them out immediately to Michelins or Continentals or anything else I don't think I would feel the difference. But I guess that's just me.

Its not just you. A little lighter in the wallet though, right? I think it would be extremely hard to buy other tires for the "feel" and express dissatisfaction with the new $1100 difference. And thats not counting the spare. But maybe thats just me. ;)
Michelin explains the difference in their Premier LX as shorter stopping, wet grip and hydroplaning resistance. Nothing about "ride quality"

07navi

I think they all ride the same but handle differently otherwise.

Ice Bear

My experience with Hankooks was on my Jeep SRT. Great handling tires with a stiffer than usual sidewall to better match up with the OEM runflat stiffness. I had to replace them after 2 years (25,000) miles of average driving due to separation in the sidewall. I'll replace the ones on my 2020 Navigator with Michelin, Continental or Pirelli, depending on what is then available.

Tires can make a dramatic difference in performance. I replaced the Hankooks on my Jeep with Continental performance all seasons. Much better ride, still sporty but more comfortable and predictable.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
Update: My MKX has Hankook Ventus Noble 2 tires (OEM, I presume, because the car only has 15k on the odometer now). I had a problem with a slow leak and the people at Discount Tire pointed out that the tread on all 4 tires is down to 5/32. I did some research and found that it's pretty common for them to be worn out at 20k. I priced replacements and found that they're not cheap tires. I like the way they ride and handle, but worn out at 20k is a no go. I think I'm going to put Yokohamas on it. I have them on my MKS and I like them, besides, they're $48 per tire less than Michelins.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
I feel like I heard wind noise at highway speeds at the top of the driver side window. More pronounced on cement vs asphalt. Could this be the road noise mentioned upthread that other tires could reduce?

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
Update: I replaced the worn out Hankooks with General Altimax RT43s. Only 22,500 miles on the car. I've only driven a few miles so far, but the Generals are good; more comfortable, and they're quiet. The Generals are "H" speed rated, rather than the "V" rated Hankooks. I'm planning a road trip, so I'll be able to give a review in about 6 weeks.

Cold_one

Manitoba
I feel like I heard wind noise at highway speeds at the top of the driver side window. More pronounced on cement vs asphalt. Could this be the road noise mentioned upthread that other tires could reduce?
I too hear what I think is wind noise when on the highway. I can’t say I noticed during a test drive but too many other things going on then. It has the Hankooks so I’m thinking of changing out to something else, likely Michelin. I have Goodyear eagle on my explore, good tire but a little stiff.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
I too hear what I think is wind noise when on the highway. I can’t say I noticed during a test drive but too many other things going on then. It has the Hankooks so I’m thinking of changing out to something else, likely Michelin. I have Goodyear eagle on my explore, good tire but a little stiff.
My wind noise turned out to be the mirror somehow being slightly misaligned. Air was making its way in through there. Has been quiet since they realigned it properly.

Grey Knight

I went into a Ford dealer with a friend and I noticed a 2020 Escape on the showroom floor that had Michelin tires. The MSRP price was $33K on the Escape. The MSRP on my 2019 Navigator was over 3X the price of the Escape and my car came with Hankook tires.

Does anyone, or everyone, hate the Hankook tires that came on their 2019 or 2020 Navigators? IMHO Hankook tires are crappy at best. I wonder what genius at Lincoln thought that it would be OK to put sub-par Hankook tires on the most expensive vehicle that they offer.
Great point. I don't know much about tires, but I can tell you my Navigator came with Hankook tires. In the snowy/ic winter storm 3 wks ago, I couldn't even get out of my driveway despite the 4x4. I took my Navigator to the dealer for them to check why my 4x4 kept disengaging and they couldn't "reproduce the problem" so they couldn't address it. I took a video of the messages on my dashboard when it kept failing to drive, so I could show the service techs. I couldn't use my car for 4 days. The video didn't help them at all?! (It showed the messages, the speed and the rpms when the car would fail.)
Anyway, this is all to say that my lawn guy came over and noticed my new Navigator. I told him about the problem of not being able to get out of my driveway....in 2 seconds he looked at the tires and said it was the smooth hankooks. I emailed my service rep at Lincoln Service Dept and he hasn't gotten back to me.

Okladoug

I went into a Ford dealer with a friend and I noticed a 2020 Escape on the showroom floor that had Michelin tires. The MSRP price was $33K on the Escape. The MSRP on my 2019 Navigator was over 3X the price of the Escape and my car came with Hankook tires.

Does anyone, or everyone, hate the Hankook tires that came on their 2019 or 2020 Navigators? IMHO Hankook tires are crappy at best. I wonder what genius at Lincoln thought that it would be OK to put sub-par Hankook tires on the most expensive vehicle that they offer.
I purchased a new 2018 navigator premier/base because of the 20 inch tire size over the 22 inch on other models. I don't have the adaptive suspension either. I am pleased by the comfort and ride of the hankook tires. I am currently at 43,000 miles with little wear.

dlcorbett

I purchased a new 2018 navigator premier/base because of the 20 inch tire size over the 22 inch on other models. I don't have the adaptive suspension either. I am pleased by the comfort and ride of the hankook tires. I am currently at 43,000 miles with little wear.
The 2020s made ccd standard so it was possible to get the standard trim with 20s and ccd. Im sure that setup rides sublime, but the standard trim is very rare.

Cold_one

Manitoba
I guess after reading about how good the ride is supposed to be and how quiet they are, while true, I really don’t hear or feel a great difference to my 2013 Explorer Sport. Granted the roads around here aren’t the best - surface breaks and potholes. The navigator is better (quieter and smoother) on gravel which I have to drive - 2 or 3 miles - before I get to pavement.

The Sport, because its suspension is tuned differently I.e. more enthusiastic, handles corners better. Not unexpected given the big differences in size, weight height CofG, etc.

Maybe it’s the Hankooks, maybe its 40lbs of pressure, maybe its a larger volume compartment, I don’t know. I was kind of thinking it’d be tomb quiet like my dad’s town cars from the 1970s and early eighties. Don’t miss the lack of road feel though.

Regardless it’s still a very nice driver.

PRinTexas

I was surprised Lincoln put Hankook on the '18 Navigators. They went cheap IMO. I have a '17 Navigator L 4x4 with 22' wheels, had Pirellis now have Continental AT. Much more aggressive tread and feel lots of confidence in all driving conditions. Looking to move into a newer Nav probably next Summer, but will not be driving on Hankook tires.

turkeyfoot

Consumer reports rates the Continental Sure Contact higher than Michelins Premium LTX in noise, rolling resistance and ride comfort. The tread depth is 1.5 32nds more in the Cont'. And the better choice because state inspection won't pass less than 2 32nds.
Something I haven't been happy with is the noise cancelling for road noise in the cabin. Its 3rd rate if its a thing at all. So I want a quieter tire with the 22" rims.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
Update: I've put 12000 miles on the General RT43s. They ride more comfortably than the Hankooks and perform well under many driving conditions, (no snow, and no spirited driving but I've had them up to 105 mph briefly and 75mph for hours at a time) and it looks like they're going to last a lot longer.

Last edited:

RAINEY

Hankooks are as good of quality as any other the other "Best" brands out there. Just like all the others, you need the right tire for the job.