Hankook tires on 2019 - 2020 Navigators

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

MarkA

GWM, have you taken a ride on any cement highways or rough roads at highway speed? I’m curious about how much of a difference the tires made.

i found a 2018 article from Motor Trend on the Navigator. Below is a clip regarding the 22” wheels:

The big wheels and skinny tires feel as though they weigh 1,000 pounds each, transmitting every bump to the cabin and dropping hard into every hole in the road. The CCD adaptive shocks do an admirable job of turning those impacts into soft shudders before they reach the cabin, but on poor pavement, the shudders are almost constant. I've seen this before in other luxury SUVs and sedans, and the easiest cure is to order the smallest wheel package, which is lighter and tends to come with larger tires, both of which help cushion the ride. It's a tough trade-off for a product planner because wheels are pretty and tires aren't. People love big wheels because they look good, but they come at a price.

Z737

Dallas, TX
We just have a difference in our opinions. As I stated in my first post,"IMHO" - In my humble opinion....it was the Hankooks that were on my Navigator that caused the rough ride. I had Michelins put on my Navigator this past weekend and the ride is significantly better. The Navigator is driven mainly by my wife and she complained about the ride a couple of weeks after we took delivery. I drive it some on the weekends and I agreed with her. My daily ride is a 2019 Lexus ES with Michelins and it rides great. My fun car is a Dodge Charger Hellcat widebody with 20" rims and low profile, wide Pirelli P-Zero tires that ride rough....but I expected that when I bought it. I didn't expect the Navigator to ride as rough as it did....but it doesn't anymore since I changed the tires.

To answer the other question about driving the Navigator on cement highways at higher speeds....yes I did and the ride was just a little better, but still not what I expected from a near $100K vehicle. I have already driven it on the same highway with the Michelins and the ride is better....IMHO. My wife is now satisfied and that's all I care about. I only wanted the Navigator with the trailer tow option so I could pull my boat. My wife couldn't have cared less about the utility purpose of Navigator.

I think this post has run it's course.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Yes, opinion for sure, but you are giving good info, thanks. I'll be curious to see what I think. I have driven a 2008 Expedition for 12 years now. Guessing that fact alone will make the Nav feel heavenly, but I'll see.

Last edited:

Z737

Dallas, TX
Yes, opinion for sure, but you are giving good info, thanks. I'll be curious to see what I think. I have driven a 2008 Expedition for 12 years now. Guessing that fact alone will make the Nav feel heavenly, but I'll see.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new Navigator. The technology feaures in the new Navigators are really good. The Head's Up Display is exceptional. When you get your Navigator you will have a lot of reading ahead in order to utilize all of the features in the current generation of Navigators

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
I'm sure you will enjoy your new Navigator. The technology feaures in the new Navigators are really good. The Head's Up Display is exceptional. When you get your Navigator you will have a lot of reading ahead in order to utilize all of the features in the current generation of Navigators
I know, I downloaded the Owners Manual and have been reading already. I learn something new each time, I think.

MarkA

Gwmgwm,

I appreciate and respect your opinion, that’s why I keep asking questions !

While deciding which vehicle to buy I drove a 2020 Expeditor Platinum. The ride was no better than my Tahoe (precise, but not smooth). I then drove a new 2019 Navigator and decided that was the car for me. It was way smoother than the Expedition , and even aiming for rough patches of road still the ride was smoother and quieter.

the car I purchased is a 2018 Navigator with the optional 22 inch wheels and Hankook tires made in Korea. I was unpleasently surprised when I perceived that it was not as smooth as the 2019. I didn’t check, but now I’m wondering if the 2019 had the 20” wheels and maybe different tires?

good discussion, and much appreciated. When I replace the hankooky tires the new ones will be Michelin.

Last edited:
I don't think most people would choose the OEM Hankooks to replace these when they wear out. I was thinking about switching out the tires before even driving it off the lot (due to crappy reviews on tirerack) but I think I'll wait. I do think it's MORE a function of size than the tire, but I do think a different tire would be better. I'll wait and see what I think after driving for a while--the life of the Hankooks seems on the very low side based on owner reviews.

greg1184

I recently replaced the Hankook tires with Continental CrossContact LX 25 tires. They are way better than the Hankooks that came with the Navigator. Much less road noise, better breaking, better handling. The hankooks were solid tires, but the Continentials were simply better in every way.

I don't understand how a $90,000 luxury SUV wouldnt come with top tier tires like Michelins or something like that. The Nautilus and Aviators I saw at the dealer do.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
I recently replaced the Hankook tires with Continental CrossContact LX 25 tires. They are way better than the Hankooks that came with the Navigator. Much less road noise, better breaking, better handling. The hankooks were solid tires, but the Continentials were simply better in every way.

I don't understand how a $90,000 luxury SUV wouldnt come with top tier tires like Michelins or something like that. The Nautilus and Aviators I saw at the dealer do.

I've put some more miles on the Hanooks since my last post, but I haven't noticed any road noise.

07navi

Because Hancook gives them a super deal. OK that's it for this thread...……….just kidding.

07navi

We just have a difference in our opinions. As I stated in my first post,"IMHO" - In my humble opinion....it was the Hankooks that were on my Navigator that caused the rough ride. I had Michelins put on my Navigator this past weekend and the ride is significantly better. The Navigator is driven mainly by my wife and she complained about the ride a couple of weeks after we took delivery. I drive it some on the weekends and I agreed with her. My daily ride is a 2019 Lexus ES with Michelins and it rides great. My fun car is a Dodge Charger Hellcat widebody with 20" rims and low profile, wide Pirelli P-Zero tires that ride rough....but I expected that when I bought it. I didn't expect the Navigator to ride as rough as it did....but it doesn't anymore since I changed the tires.

To answer the other question about driving the Navigator on cement highways at higher speeds....yes I did and the ride was just a little better, but still not what I expected from a near $100K vehicle. I have already driven it on the same highway with the Michelins and the ride is better....IMHO. My wife is now satisfied and that's all I care about. I only wanted the Navigator with the trailer tow option so I could pull my boat. My wife couldn't have cared less about the utility purpose of Navigator.

I think this post has run it's course.
Violin[1].gif

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
My experience with Ford is not going cheap on tires. My 2008 Expy came with Pirellis. Unless I am mistaken, that has always been considered a top brand. My wife has a 2011 Explorer. Hankooks out of the factory. So, it isn't as if Hankook is new to Ford.

Doing some reading on Hankook, they have been around since the 1940s and, apparently, use very high quality processes for their tires.

Just wondering if there is a stigma behind the name that makes people think they aren't very good. I don't know, for a very expensive vehicle like a Navigator, I would think Lincoln would "go cheap" on something not so widely seen and that could affect the luxury feel of the ride as the tires if, in fact, they are going cheap to save a few bucks.

I just seriously doubt I will be unhappy because of the tires, and if I changed them out immediately to Michelins or Continentals or anything else I don't think I would feel the difference. But I guess that's just me.

07navi

My experience with Ford is not going cheap on tires. My 2008 Expy came with Pirellis. Unless I am mistaken, that has always been considered a top brand. My wife has a 2011 Explorer. Hankooks out of the factory. So, it isn't as if Hankook is new to Ford.

Doing some reading on Hankook, they have been around since the 1940s and, apparently, use very high quality processes for their tires.

Just wondering if there is a stigma behind the name that makes people think they aren't very good. I don't know, for a very expensive vehicle like a Navigator, I would think Lincoln would "go cheap" on something not so widely seen and that could affect the luxury feel of the ride as the tires if, in fact, they are going cheap to save a few bucks.

I just seriously doubt I will be unhappy because of the tires, and if I changed them out immediately to Michelins or Continentals or anything else I don't think I would feel the difference. But I guess that's just me.
I have had Hankooks and the are fine, just saying they probably give Ford good deal on them. It seems like Michelins are overpriced when other tires out there do the same thing.