The Dreaded Drivers Door Module Part Numbers

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

07-TC-SL

Jul 6, 2021
Hopefully you can answer this question my car alarm it's only done it twice but kept going off in the middle of the night at least the neighbors didn't hear it cuz I live in a housing complex but is there any other possibility or a cheaper fix that could be the problem I'm currently unemployed but I do have the money to fix it but for how long I don't know so hopefully you can answer this and can help me out
Check your hood switch see

MY747

Feb 9, 2021
Believe it or not there's no switches sticking out like on the other Town Cars it's like a sheet of plastic to make it look nice and neat for lack of a better term unless there's another place this hood switch alarm could be

dave42

Jul 6, 2015
Leander, TX C.K.U.
Believe it or not there's no switches sticking out like on the other Town Cars it's like a sheet of plastic to make it look nice and neat for lack of a better term unless there's another place this hood switch alarm could be
Don't the TC's have a "position sensitive" switch that turns on when the angle of the hood changes? I recall a thread years ago where someone had problem with it coming on and draining the battery when they parked on a steep incline.

Rsunshine

Dec 5, 2021
Just as an FYI to help others I put up a video about replacing my DDM @
Weird Electrical Problems FIXED - Lincoln Town Car
I loved your video. You helped me immensely with my 2002 executive. I found a 2002 cartier ddm in the junk yard & swapped with no issues so far. Thanks.

kdv

May 4, 2019
Ontario Canada
Having DDM problems with our '07 Sig Ltd, found that video on Youtube as well, well done. Any idea what search term to use when looking at car-part.com? Have sent a request under 'misc electrical', but don't know if that'll get any results.

Thinking of swapping the '09 TC Sig Ltd's DDM into the '07 to see if anything changes (verifying that it is indeed DDM problem).

Edit - is the DDM available from places like Rockauto? Or only a Ford/junkyard item?

07-TC-SL

Jul 6, 2021
Having DDM problems with our '07 Sig Ltd, found that video on Youtube as well, well done. Any idea what search term to use when looking at car-part.com? Have sent a request under 'misc electrical', but don't know if that'll get any results.

Thinking of swapping the '09 TC Sig Ltd's DDM into the '07 to see if anything changes (verifying that it is indeed DDM problem).

Edit - is the DDM available from places like Rockauto? Or only a Ford/junkyard item?
I searched for driver door panel. That lets you know at the very least the driver door is (hopefully) still there... don't even bother searching for an electric module. Just look at the pics. Then send a request for the driver door module if it looks like the right year/trim level.

kdv

May 4, 2019
Ontario Canada
Good advice - thanks! Already found one nearby in Nova Scotia, will refine the search and find one I like.

SkandiaLimos

Nov 12, 2020
Brian,

I really appreciate how generously you've shared your time and expertise on this issue. It sounded like you may have decided to make this post, at least in part, in response to the problems I was having that you addressed in another thread.

Thanks to your help I was able to get it fixed and at a significant savings.

However, after doing so myself, I'm not so sure this information is complete or it might not lead to the most affordable fix for other DIYers.

It does indeed seem like the product number for the DDM of my year/model town car (03 Cartier Edition) directly through Ford would be 41WZ-15K602-AA

However, when we first talked about this the other week, it was something like 460 dollars on discount from over 600 for the part? New, and programmed, I am sure, with all those wonderful "features."

Today, it says that same part has been discontinued, without looking into it further for a possible replacement.

In any case, good thing I already found one that works.

My first attempt to find a working DDM was with an 04 Ultimate Town Car that was in the salvage yard. The sticker had the (I assume, product/model) number 4W1T-13C791-AA on it. I've included a picture with it on there.

***This following long section is what happens when you use the wrong DDM - skip it by going just past the other heading with asterisks***

Despite being of the similar model year range and seemingly having all the same features - that I could remember - it didn't work. I am pretty sure the only thing that I forgot to check where it was the same before extracting the part was the (driver and front passenger) heated seats and I believe those come standard on the 04 Ultimate, from what I could find. Only today did I learn that they might also have heated rear seats come standard, whereas my 03 Cartier does not have heated rear seats. If the 03-05 DDMs really are that interchangeable, I wonder if that could have made such a difference.

At least with the new, partially-functional DDM, I was able to control my seat and thus not have to use a booster seat of sorts (a thick cushion from a sectional couch) to sit forward far enough to safely reach the pedals and steering wheel, albeit still uncomfortably and looking quite ridiculous as well as being less capable of controlling my vehicle as I normally might. I was also able to regain control of my sideview mirrors.

At first, it seemed as though the door locks worked, once? It seemed like after programming the key fobs that had failed many months ago (that I had gotten used to), they briefly worked except for not being able to control the power trunk. After getting in and driving for the first time, the locks all triggered immediately - a feature I've noticed on other cars, but that mine didn't do.

I think the keyless entry pad also worked once or twice to unlock and lock the vehicle.

However, later, after the power locks stopped working, I manually unlocked the rear door from the inside and went to grab something through it from the outside, at which point the alarm was set off.

After turning the key in the driver door as if to unlock the car, it stopped happening, but I would still make sure I did that first if I might have done anything besides manually lock or unlock any of the doors to open other doors.

It worked as a band-aid, but not a long-term fix.

I suppose I could have learned how to use Forscan and to get the right adapter. I originally wrote it off because I thought Forscan required one of those fancy new, heavy duty touchpad scanners that cost thousands, but I guess there are OBD2 to USB adapters that would allow you the full power of Forscan for something like $25 or $30 dollars - without looking into it that much - and possibly allow me to flash a similar, but differently programmed part? I like learning new things on occasion, but there are diminishing returns.

I also suppose the salvaged DDM could have been bad as well. Based on the wear and tear of the salvage vehicle, it had many, many miles more than mine. I can't disprove that another 4W1T-13C791-AA or similar numbered part wouldn't work perfectly for my car from the one failure.

*** End wrong DDM experience ***

Before I went to the closest salvage yard with a relatively similar year/model, I had been looking online for DDMs, and after that failed, I decided to pay more for an identically numbered part - still much cheaper than a new one.

But, I decided that for under $100, I'd give a used and tested DDM a try.

The original part number on the sticker, shown as attached, was 3W1T-13C791-AF

When I first searched for a replacement, I saw plenty of AE and didn't notice the AF, and somehow just assumed that the bottom part of the E rubbed off or faded or something. Now I am pretty sure AE and AF are different somehow.

There are all sorts of part numbers for these, such as the 4W1T-13C791-AA above, there are several "suffixes" so to speak such as -AA, -AB, -AH, -AE, -AF, but not all combinations for each year, if the 3 or 4 is related to the model year or a version of the DDM itself. I thought maybe the first number (3 in 3W1T) had to do with the model year and/or or when it was manufactured, but it could have been coincidence based on my limited searches.

Being a panther platform vehicle, and, as I understand it, the Town Car being basically being an upgraded Crown Vic/Grand Marquis, the DDMs in those other vehicles are quite similar and some also have -13C791- in the middle, with some of those popping up as suggestions, although they sometimes have different prefixes and suffixes like 4W7T- and -BB and model years around 2006 or so appear to have different shapes (if not connectors as well) and (sometimes?) the middle 6 digits are different.

Anyway, I've attached what my original DDM sticker looked like, and the new (used) one also is 3W1T-13C791-AF. The seller wrote "03TC" on it, plus the new keyless entry code directly on the sticker worked right away, as did all the button combinations to control the locks and trunk.

I was able to program my key fobs again, which I thought had gone bad - when they were actually the very first symptoms of the failing DDM over a year ago (very glad I didn't buy new ones after all) - as well as control everything I could think of that involved the DDM and, without driving it for a while to be sure first, it appears that the identical part number works in all ways I had hoped, whereas the similar, albeit mismatched one, only provided slightly more functionality.

All that to say, making sure I got another 3W1T-13C791-AF seemed to do the trick and would be my suggested course of action for anyone else looking to swap their failing/failed DDM out for a different one, rather than hoping the features (and therefore programming) are identical enough.

Thanks again for all your help!
Thanks for your very detailed explanations of fails and success on the DDM finding the right one. I have two 05' TC, one basic and other ultimate that fob still works on the basic but the ultimate fob stopped working first, then key pad, and seat memory is intermittent. Also if I try to program key it lock recycles on 4th ignition cycle instead of 8th but still not program. All these seem to have started after I did a PCM reset by disconnecting battery terminals and removing respective fuses for 20-30 min, then replacing. Did something surge I'm wondering when I did the reset?