2018 Nav engine knocking at start-up

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Okladoug

My 2018 Reserve is going in for service tomorrow for this recall. Supposed to take about 45 minutes. I've already had the cam phasers replaced on it. Still rattling though.
Same here. Let us know what the outcome for you. I had mine scheduled took it in and they said the software wasnt available yet. There were other software updates that needed to be done also

dr wire

My 2018 Reserve is going in for service tomorrow for this recall. Supposed to take about 45 minutes. I've already had the cam phasers replaced on it. Still rattling though.
Did the recall do the trick?

dr wire

At 80K and 2 years, the cam phaser rattle returned louder than before. Trying to get service scheduled

GrumpyOleMan

Flyover Country
I took my '19 Navi in a couple of weeks ago to have the Cam Phasers replaced (had developed quite the rattle). Smooth as silk now, but I have noticed that it turns over a bit longer now before it fires up. I just assumed that was part of the software fix.

Bear in mind, that is just an assumption.

dr wire

grumpy, good to hear. Dropped my 18 off last Monday at shop. Not sure when it will be ready for pick up

GrumpyOleMan

Flyover Country
Dropped my 18 off last Monday at shop. Not sure when it will be ready for pick up

Unless you left it there without an appointment hoping they would slide it into any available time slot, it should not be there that long. The Cam Phaser replacement is a day and half job. I dropped mine off on a Wed evening right before closing and picked it up Friday afternoon.

dr wire

Final report on my cam rattle resolution

Ford forced dealer to try programing first. After several attempts, Tech figured out My Gateway module would not talk to the computer so had to replace. This created a delay to get part.

After a week or so, installed new GWM and tried programming fix. No success.

During 2nd week in shop got all the parts and it is quite the list. R&R the cam phasers and it now starts fine.

Had them replace spark plugs while electronics off the manifolds so no labor charge for new spark plugs. Maybe early at 80K, but now its done.

Soon after the work was done I got the letter from Ford about warranty support for this issue which is associated with my particular 3.5l engine. Service Tech said cam phasers have been redesigned so problem should be solved. Said phasers would dry out and stick??? New warranty program shows we are on our own at 100K, pro-rated warranty at 80K via 21N03 & 21N08

Lingering question is do I believe them when they declare the rattle caused no lobg term engine issues???

jerryyiii3

Just received a letter from Lincoln (October 2021) stating that a Customer Satisfaction Program 21B10, 21N03 and 21NO8 have been issued for my 2018 Navigator to address this knocking problem that is being caused by the cam phasers in the 3.5L GTDI engine.

My Navigator started the cold start knocking at about 30,000 miles and I traded it in to Lincoln rather than mess with this recall/factory repair program and have a new 2021 Navigator on order that is scheduled for new car delivery around 28 December 2021.

Hopefully, the 2021 3.5L engine has been upgraded from the 2018 model engine and I won't have the annoying cold start knocking.

By the way, the Lincoln letter says the Customer Satisfaction Program mentioned above for the 2018 models is free of charge to vehicle owners.