Tips on getting better fuel economy on a 2011 town car?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Towncarguyxyz

Due to some unforeseen events, my town car is the main “work” car and since where I live it’s 90% city you can imagine what’s been happening to my wallet when I drive about almost 400 miles a week! Now I’m a new town car owner, cant complain its comfortable, looks wonderful and I love it but everywhere online it’s suggested that the town car gets 15MPG in the city. But what I’m seeing, is more like 11.5MPG. What gives? I’m 24 but believe me when I tell you I have been driving it like an old man, no wild accelerations, no sudden braking, rpm doesn’t dare go over 2000, and yet I’m getting worse fuel economy than I researched about.

My main question is, if I replace the spark plugs will the MPG rise atleast to 15MPG? Considering ofc that my tires are brand new and good to go. Due to work I’m forced to drive in the city 90% of the time, I usually have a Camry for that and I’m not expecting Camry level fuel economy but I hate having to Start my mornings in a gas station only to be back there before going home.

Btw, I am going to replace the air filter aswell. Also would the replacing of the fuel injector with the spark plugs be even better? Is what I’m suggesting a reality? To go from 11.5 MPG to at least 15MPG

I’d like to thank all of you for reading this ebook, I would really appreciate any replies, I am not a car guy and I often have no idea what would work and what wouldnt so any help is awesome. Thankyou

(oh and another thing, I got the car basically a week ago. So I can’t really compare what it was like back whenever)

Vladimir2112

I meant to say inexpensive fuel injector cleaner from Lucas. I did check my computer's fuel economy gauge. Mine's pretty close to being spot on from what I calculated manually. I am averaging 17.1 MPG. I resetted occasionally and double check but you have to go some time to really get a good average. I was averaging 23 for about a month but I was driving back and forth about 85 miles on nice rural highway. My biggest trick during that was the use of cruise control. I really think cruise control can save you more money than most people think

Towncarguyxyz

@Vladimir2112 thankyou for your reply. So changing the plugs and cleaning the fuel injector does help eh? I was thinking of going for new fuel injectors, fuel pump, spark plugs and changing the oil and air filter. I want to do wires too, but I’m confused what people mean by that? What wires exactly should be changed? I feel like what I’m doing is overkill, and it’s going to cost me a chunk of fuel cash but im hoping it’ll pay for itself in a while. Especially since I don’t plan on selling my car, ever. I really love the TC, it’s just perfect. I actually don’t have cruise control, seems like it’s been disconnected, I’m watching YouTube videos on how to repair it. I think the cruise control is best when driving on a long highway though. Not good for city diving with many stops.

dave42

Leander, TX C.K.U.
You might look into cleaning the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). Lincoln specifies your plugs as being good for 100K miles, so you are about at that spot, anyway. I doubt changing fuel injectors will do anything. You could look into having them professionally cleaned. The mileage on my '03 has been slowly dropping as well, but I am still on the original plugs at almost 200K miles (yeah, that's bad. I have had new plugs in the trunk for the last 50K miles maybe, but haven't gotten around to i). In town I'm down to around 13mpg (varies a lot), and down to 22mpg hiway.

BTW, there are no "Wires" (plug wires) on these last generation of TC's, since they all have COP's (Coil on Plug).

wolf_walker

Yeah no wires on the later cars, plugs, oil fuel air filter, clean the MAF, clean the throttle body, make sure the EGR valve is good, maybe ponder 02 sensors but I doubt that's the issue. Really off alignment or sticking brakes can hurt mpg too.

Vladimir2112

just to mention about fuel injectors .Fuel injectors get dirty. Fuel injectors hardly ever mechanically or electrically fail. Dirty injectors do not spray or atomize the fuel properly. If a single injector would completely fail you would notice more than dwindling gas mileage.

Norms1stTC

@Norms1stTC okay, you and I need to talk 😂 what are you doing? Have you put sails on your car? How’s this possible? My Camry needs 2 top ups a week. I’m literally topping the TC everyday. I mean thankgod this is only a temporary arrangement, but id still take any tips? Ive recently bought the car and at this point I’m sure there is something wrong that needs to be addressed. Im just trying to find out what.
I really haven't done anything to it, no wire changes, no fuel filter, no injector cleaner, I did clean the MAF sensor and throttle body due to a slight miss, but that's been gone , I really don't have an answer. It literally amazes me this car is getting better than my 2017 4 banger Tacoma work truck , I have a 35 mile drive one way to work and I'm topping the Tacoma off every 4 days, the lincoln beats it by a day and a half. I'd drive the Lincoln to work but my job site is a complete shit hole filthy dirty, just hate getting her filthy. Hahaha.

Towncarguyxyz

You might look into cleaning the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). Lincoln specifies your plugs as being good for 100K miles, so you are about at that spot, anyway. I doubt changing fuel injectors will do anything. You could look into having them professionally cleaned. The mileage on my '03 has been slowly dropping as well, but I am still on the original plugs at almost 200K miles (yeah, that's bad. I have had new plugs in the trunk for the last 50K miles maybe, but haven't gotten around to i). In town I'm down to around 13mpg (varies a lot), and down to 22mpg hiway.

BTW, there are no "Wires" (plug wires) on these last generation of TC's, since they all have COP's (Coil on Plug).
Well then I think thats going to be the first thing I do, clean the MAF, I’ve watched a video on YouTube and it seems easy enough. I’m pretty decent at following instructions and I know how to use tools (use em for my job). I think I’ll leave the plugs to a professional, it’s just that I don’t want to risk messing up at something like that, because the cost of switching them is way less compared to fixing something I’ve messed up. The only issue is that I’m so busy and with the Camry in the shop, I really can’t afford the time to do these right now. I really hope these things fix the issue.

Towncarguyxyz

just to mention about fuel injectors .Fuel injectors get dirty. Fuel injectors hardly ever mechanically or electrically fail. Dirty injectors do not spray or atomize the fuel properly. If a single injector would completely fail you would notice more than dwindling gas mileage.
Ah, okay then that makes sense, no I haven’t noticed any major issues, I’m sure there’s something messing up my MPGs I mean I’m barely getting 180 miles out of a full tank, which obviously isn’t ideal. I’m definitely buying fuel injector cleaner tomorrow, i hope that saves me a few bucks.

Towncarguyxyz

If you really want to get involved, get a good obd2 scanner and Forscan software and go digging, I'd be looking at fuel trims and 02 performance, MAF readings, misfire counts, that kinda thing.
The thing is, any google search on ”why am I getting bad mileage” 02 sensors always come up, I know the symptom of a bad o2 sensor is the check engine light coming on, but I’m going to have it replaced along with the spark plugs anyway. Just to get it out of the way. I have a feeling I’m going to upgrade pretty much all of those potential causes for bad mileage stuff.

Towncarguyxyz

I really haven't done anything to it, no wire changes, no fuel filter, no injector cleaner, I did clean the MAF sensor and throttle body due to a slight miss, but that's been gone , I really don't have an answer. It literally amazes me this car is getting better than my 2017 4 banger Tacoma work truck , I have a 35 mile drive one way to work and I'm topping the Tacoma off every 4 days, the lincoln beats it by a day and a half. I'd drive the Lincoln to work but my job site is a complete shit hole filthy dirty, just hate getting her filthy. Hahaha.
Well, I think it’s the 70 mile drive that gives you a really good average. I have noticed better mileage when I go on the highway. But I think it’s the 90% city driving thats really behind my low mileage. I know what you mean about not wanting to get her filthy, I can’t stand my TC being dirty. I want her shiny at all times, it just looks so good.

Corsart

Well, I think it’s the 70 mile drive that gives you a really good average. I have noticed better mileage when I go on the highway. But I think it’s the 90% city driving thats really behind my low mileage. I know what you mean about not wanting to get her filthy, I can’t stand my TC being dirty. I want her shiny at all times, it just looks so good.
I think a more revealing question might have been "What's your MPG?". That would have given you a fair representation of "Typical" MPG range, so at least you have a baseline, some basis of comparison.

A TC is a heavy car with a large frontal area..the two things most associated with gas consumption being weight and aerodynamics...so you cannot expect the kind of gas mileage you're after. There are things you can do to attempt to improve mileage, but those will only work if those systems you are addressing are at fault. So, inflating the tires to the recommended pressure, etc. Things like new plugs or fuel injector cleaner cannot hurt, but unless they're deficient in some way you won't see much of an improvement.

The best way to improve mileage in a car like a TC after you make the adjustments to get the car into spec is to drive more slowly. It takes more gas to move mass down a road at a higher speed.

Vladimir2112

The motors are underpowered .Sluggish transmission.But at 17/21mpg average I'm getting it is nice. You have to cruise with them 👍.It's a trick getting on the highway from our awful often sharp and windy and uphill. So you find yourself going up a short on-ramp onto traffic moving 60 in the slow lane. Scary at times. With the drag of the AC running it's worse. If it looks bad on the highway getting on I shut that AC off for a moment to get that extra horsepower. And my engine does run perfect. As is my transmission

Last edited:

jylincoln

My 1998 gets awesome mileage since it had a full tune up. I would say probably comparable with lots of smaller cars.
Of course in heavy city traffic it's not that great but the same goes for any car. But on the expressway it's pretty awesome (I've seen the gauge say 40+ MPG when just letting it glide).

I wish it were this economical with motor oil.

wolf_walker

The motors are underpowered .Sluggish transmission.But at 17/21mpg average I'm getting it is nice. You have to cruise with them 👍.It's a trick getting on the highway from our awful often sharp and windy and uphill. So you find yourself going up a short on-ramp onto traffic moving 60 in the slow lane. Scary at times. With the drag of the AC running it's worse. If it looks bad on the highway getting on I shut that AC off for a moment to get that extra horsepower. And my engine does run perfect. As is my transmission

I've been driving a bunch of unusual places around the city lately, Dr appointments for the ole lady, so there's been lots of sudden"I need to be in that lane across four lanes of traffic" moments and the lack of umph has been unusually annoying. Downshifting takes half an hour, and then it's mostly just noise lol.. ugh... Wrong car to be in a hurry with for sure.

Still been 19mpg last couple tanks, haven't been running up the interstate to see my Pop the last few weeks to being the average up any.

Towncarguyxyz

I think a more revealing question might have been "What's your MPG?". That would have given you a fair representation of "Typical" MPG range, so at least you have a baseline, some basis of comparison.

A TC is a heavy car with a large frontal area..the two things most associated with gas consumption being weight and aerodynamics...so you cannot expect the kind of gas mileage you're after. There are things you can do to attempt to improve mileage, but those will only work if those systems you are addressing are at fault. So, inflating the tires to the recommended pressure, etc. Things like new plugs or fuel injector cleaner cannot hurt, but unless they're deficient in some way you won't see much of an improvement.

The best way to improve mileage in a car like a TC after you make the adjustments to get the car into spec is to drive more slowly. It takes more gas to move mass down a road at a higher speed.
Honestly, if I drive it any slower I think I’m going to get the worlds first traffic ticket for being too slow. I average 45 mph everyday, if you’re stuck behind me in traffic then have fun with me accelerating like an old man. Im not expecting wildly high mileage for city driving, 3MPG extra and I’m happy because then I’d alteast be in the typical MPG range for this car. 19MPG may be out of reach for me at the moment, but I’m hoping for 15MPG.