240v versus charging station at home?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Welcome to the Forum ChuckL.
wavey.gif

Peter

ChuckL

You shouldn't need to change the output amperage setting on the charger. The charger and the car will negotiate the charging rate. In essence, the charger will say "I can do 50A", your Aviator will say "I can do 16A", and the two devices will meet at 16A.

I suppose it's possible that the ChargePoint device doesn't actually do this negotiation. Seems unlikely, but if it doesn't, then you'll need to set the ChargePoint to 16A, because that's all the Aviator can handle. It's more likely that the ChargePoint does the negotiation (as it's part of the charging protocol), in which case the setting that you can change is really just telling the ChargePoint the maximum you want it to try to use (which should never be higher than the circuit rating).

On a 50A circuit, the maximum charging rate you can obtain is 40A. The circuit needs to be rated for 125% of the charging load. This is why I mentioned a 60A circuit--that lets you charge at 48A. So you might want to have your device set to 40A instead of 50A. It shouldn't matter until you try to plug in a BEV that can charge at higher rates than the Aviator, but for safety, you might want to leave it a 40A.

heywardjr

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Great point. Thanks. I had it set at 40 but the electrician corrected me and said 50. I’ll change in the iPhone app the rating to be 40 as suggested. Thank you.

Scott1911

The charge station tell the car how many amps it can provide. The charger is in the car and regulates amps to not exceed the charge station capacity.