2014 MKZ hybrid trunk leak

eag2000

I did some searching on this forum but the only references I found for water getting into the trunk were about runoff from the trunk lid if open while it is raining. This is not the case with my car.

Today I discovered an inch of standing water in the tire well beneath the foam tray for the inflator and other tools. I only looked because the carpet over this was saturated and so was my luggage when I retrieved it from the trunk. There was no water pooled in the foam tray. I have wondered about this in the past because the windows fog on the inside when the temp dips and the car often feels humid. When I asked the dealer about those issues they had no idea. This standing water, however, is a bigger problem, especially for the threat of corrosion to the various electronic connectors and components unique to a hybrid.

Anyone else have or know of this problem? Were there any factory bulletins issued? Any suggestions?

Thank you for any insight or advice,
Justin

PS, I purchased the car new and there have been no accidents and therefore no chance of botched collision repair

I just noted the same thing on my 2013 MKZ. Wife got it back from the dealership after problem with power harness under hood. A couple days later she noticed some wetness on trunk liner and some of her re-usable grocery bags. Two weeks later got a "trunk ajar" message, car was not driven for another week and did it again, then not driven again for five days. After that, we saw prevalent mold in the floorboards. Two days later, I dug in to investigate the trunk issue to find the spare tire well two inches deep, the rear instrument trim panel soaked and dripping, and water inundation evident everywhere.

MKZBLUES

Hi there, I have the same problem of water leaking into the trunk on my 2015 MHz hybrid. My question /concern is that if any sitting water in the trunk would damage the hybrid battery. Does anyone know?
Leaking water can damage the hybrid battery. After a torrential downpour, my 2013 MKZ hybrid had water in the trunk. The car was parked on a slightly downward-facing slope so water went from the trunk, under the hybrid battery, under the back passenger seats to the front passenger footwell. The hybrid battery would not hold a charge and was dead. The cost for inspecting and fixing the leak and other repairs to other electrical systems was about $1,900 Canadian. The dealership replaced the hybrid battery, which costs about $10,000 as a defect battery as a warranty replacement. Less than a year later I've found a couple of inches of water in my trunk again so it looks like I'm buying a tarp before the next time it rains.

Jsells

Hopefully this thread is still alive. I have a 2015 MKZ, and just noticed the trunk had water in it. Brought to the dealership since I have an aftermartket warranty. They determined the trunk deck lid (black decorative piece) on the trunk. They quoted me $699 and said it needed to be replaced. Of course my warranty will not cover, because it’s considered cosmetic. I plan to water test it today, but it appears there is a seal underneath - does anyone know if you can just purchase the seal???

eag2000

I just noted the same thing on my 2013 MKZ. Wife got it back from the dealership after problem with power harness under hood. A couple days later she noticed some wetness on trunk liner and some of her re-usable grocery bags. Two weeks later got a "trunk ajar" message, car was not driven for another week and did it again, then not driven again for five days. After that, we saw prevalent mold in the floorboards. Two days later, I dug in to investigate the trunk issue to find the spare tire well two inches deep, the rear instrument trim panel soaked and dripping, and water inundation evident everywhere.
Dealer said problem was fixed, but after not driving very much after that, started to grocery one day and noticed big patch of dried mold in front passenger floorboard. Further inspection found mold EVERYWHERE. Car was towed to dealership again. Twenty days later, they declared it was fixed. They said debris was stopping up the little eighth inch pathway under plastic pieces in the corners causing was to ride up over the seals. They knew this because they installed a new seal all way around. WRONG! Bad design and seals not actually sealing are the problem, I postulate. After paying, I inspected. I lifted up the trunk liner and behold - water in the spare tire well again! I rejected the repair and the car has remained there since, now five more weeks without a peep from them. Lincoln must not get any support from Ford for these prevalent issues. Otherwise, it would be fixed and we'd be trading the car for a hassle-free car by now.

HTML