Lincoln Forums Navigation:

Zephyr door latch and lock actuator replacement

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The 2006 Zephyr has the door lock actuator mounted in the door latch. Attached are the procedures to replace the door latch.

Good luck.

Attachments

Mass
Hi Town,

Very very helpfull!

Can you also attach the motor initialization procedure?

15. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
•
For Zephyr only, if installing a new LH or
RH front window motor, it must be
initialized. For additional information, refer
to Window Motor Initialization in this
section. If installing the original front
window motor, it must be de-initialized,
then initialized. For additional information,
refer to Window Motor Initialization in this
section.
2006 Fusion,

Thx, Bill

Mass
Hi Town,

I finally got my hands on the car - I just bought a second Zephyr for the kids. In addition to the drivers door actuator, I also need to replace the left rear door interior handle. It is physically broken....

Can you please post the removal and installation instruction for the left read door handle?

Thanks as always!!

Best, Bill

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hi Town,

I finally got my hands on the car - I just bought a second Zephyr for the kids. In addition to the drivers door actuator, I also need to replace the left rear door interior handle. It is physically broken....

Can you please post the removal and installation instruction for the left read door handle?

Thanks as always!!

Best, Bill
Hi Bill,

I put the procedure to replace the rear door exterior handle in a new thread here: http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/threads/11661-Zephyr-Rear-door-exterior-handle-replacement since it would be more easily found by others with that problem.

Good luck.

Mass
Hi Town,

Thanks. I need the procedure for the inner door handle on the rear left (driver's side) door. I'll keep the exterior one on file though!

Thanks, Bill

Town,

Thank you! This was very helpful and I was able to accomplish two door actuators in about 2 hours on the Zephyr using the documents you provided, and some oh sh*t ingenuity. To all that attempt this repair, you will take off the exterior door handle too to take the inside lock/handle "guts" all out. No way to perform this inside the door. I would also "Stress" following the document instructions provided by Town that state "Loosen" the window glass clamp bolts. Do not, do not fully unscrew them to remove, just loosen to lift the glass window up. I fully unscrewed and upon reinstalling all items, the glass window clamp would not compress enough to screw that bolt back in, so I had to undo everything again to start that bolt. You will also be removing the window cover from the bottom by swinging out from the bottom first, then top which has the window scissor arms. Make sure when you are lower the window to the viewing holes to unscrew the window glass clamp bolts, you do not lower the window bolts too low that you cannot swing the cover out at the bottom. Also, I did not see any need to remove speaker from housing.

When re-installing the exterior handle, make sure that the handle lock screw (T27 star) that holds the inside handle plastic mount (black plastic mount) does not strip, do not force it if it does not tighten/ move smoothly. Do not force tighten this, if it does not screw in by hand tight, then stop. The nut is molded into the inside black molding mount and if you strip the bolt or it gets stuck, you have to take everything back out and figure out a new bolt/ screw to replace what holds the exterior door handle to the door body.

Lastly, re-installing the exterior handle. Inside there is a white spring loaded plastic piece attached to the black molding handle mount that is spring loaded to pull back (inside the door). When you insert the exterior handle back into the door body, make sure that the handle clips behind the white spring loaded plastic piece. This is what "pulls" the door handle in and gives the spring effect on the exterior door handle. If you install the door handle and it sticks out from the door with no spring effect, pull the right side of the exterior handle out and reach inside the door, push in the white spring loaded piece and then push the exterior door handle in to catch the white spring loaded plastic piece.

Do not forget to Blue Lock-tite the three T27 star striker screws.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML