Winter Tires

hybridbob

I drive a 2015 MKZ Hybrid. Winter traction, on a scale of 1-10, is a 2. Worst front wheel drive car in the winter I have owned. The dealership admitted to me last week that winter tires are needed because tires on a hybrid are harder than usual and prevent good snow traction. Winter tires will be softer thus helping to push the snow outward. That is the way it was described to me. Is this correct information?

Assuming that it is, are there 17 inch Lincoln rims available? I want wide sidewalls. I have only seen 18 inchers for the older MKZ's.

Tires. They suggested Blizzak. I like Cooper. Will that make much of a difference?

Thanks for looking.

bbf2530

I drive a 2015 MKZ Hybrid. Winter traction, on a scale of 1-10, is a 2. Worst front wheel drive car in the winter I have owned. The dealership admitted to me last week that winter tires are needed because tires on a hybrid are harder than usual and prevent good snow traction. Winter tires will be softer thus helping to push the snow outward. That is the way it was described to me. Is this correct information?

Assuming that it is, are there 17 inch Lincoln rims available? I want wide sidewalls. I have only seen 18 inchers for the older MKZ's.

Tires. They suggested Blizzak. I like Cooper. Will that make much of a difference?

Thanks for looking.
Hi hybridbob. Well, who at "the Dealer" gave you that tire/snow description? That information is not exactly incorrect, and not exactly correct either, but it is certainly incomplete and not the entire story. The three most important factor in snow handling are tires, tires and tires. The snow does not know what kind of FWD car you are driving, only what type of tires, tread etc are contacting the snow. And tires bite down into/through snow, they don't push the snow outwards (that is what tires are supposed to do with water/rain). So if they are worn, they will not bite through the snow properly to get any grip.

So please answer these questions...
-How many miles on your 2015 MKZh, or more specifically, how many miles on this set of tires?
-How much tread is left on them? Have you had the tread measured?
-How often did you rotate the tires? How is the tread on the front tires as compared to the rear tires?
-It is possible that the old tires are worn and you simply need new tires.
-Where do you live? Get a lot of harsh winters and snow?

For tire questions, I generally recommend using the professional/online resources at The Tire Rack : https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9d6fuLfg4gIVEV8NCh1S1gsREAAYASAAEgLgqfD_BwE&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI9d6fuLfg4gIVEV8NCh1S1gsREAAYASAAEgLgqfD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!282041512445!e!!g!!tire rack . com

You can research all of their educational information, test results and tire comparisons, and if you decide to purchase from them, their prices are excellent. You can also purchase complete wheel/tire sets if you wish. They will also tell you what sizes are recommended and can be fitted to your particular car (I believe the proper 17" wheel can be used.

My opinion on your Blizzak vesus Cooper question? Blizzak is considered one of the finer winter tires available. That being said, I don't use winter tires, since both my MKZ's get around our snowy NJ winters just fine with the all-season Michelins they are equipped with. And I would recommend you take the advice of The Tire Rack before Internet strangers, including me, anyway. ;)

Take a look at the online resources at the Tire Rack, let us know how you make out and good luck.

hybridbob

Sorry. Had to be away for a few days.
I bought the MKZ with 23,000 miles on it. The dealer put new tires on it as the ones on the car had more than 50% tread wear. The new tires are BF Goodrich. Not a fan. The car now has 30,000 miles on ti. So the new tires were very new this past winter. I live in upstate New York. Lots of winter here.

bbf2530

Sorry. Had to be away for a few days.
I bought the MKZ with 23,000 miles on it. The dealer put new tires on it as the ones on the car had more than 50% tread wear. The new tires are BF Goodrich. Not a fan. The car now has 30,000 miles on ti. So the new tires were very new this past winter. I live in upstate New York. Lots of winter here.
Hi hybridbob. Sorry I was not more specific. Just knowing the manufacturer means nothing. What model of BF Goodrich tires were they? Every tire manufacturer makes models of tires that rate from cheap and not so good (for people who just want a cheap replacement tire) to excellent. And not all tires are made for snow/winter use. And those that are can run the gamut from barely okay to excellent.

I would reiterate my previous advice concerning using the online and phone resources at The Tire Rack.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

HTML