Windows down unexpectedly

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

dmalbin

MKZ 2011.
Locked car with all windows closed. Rainy evening. On return to car couple hours later, car is still locked but front windows are wide open including the roof window. What can cause this malfunction? Scary situation. Has only happened once couple weeks ago.

Followup: Checked with my dealer; he checked Ford messages regarding window problems and found the solution. If one holds the remote lock button for two or more seconds it will open the windows. This is a feature that's intended to let heat out prior to getting into car.

dmalbin

Now that I know what took place and why, I think we will find this feature useful. I don't recall dealer explaining this feature or have I seen it in print. Now i know.

CARR142

CHERRY HILL, NJ
On the 11 MKX it is the remote unlock button to preform this option.

I will try the unlock button, to confirm.

Tia, JaCarr

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
It happened to me once too. I knew right away what caused it. It's kind of like butt dialing a cell phone. Overall, I like the feature, but it could be a problem.

dmalbin

CARR142 is correct; windows open when holding remote unlock button for 2 sec. Tried it today and sure enough it is the unlock button.

dmalbin

Hey..... never thought about reading the manual. I agree "READ THE MANUAL". Maybe that's why Ford supplies a manual free of charge ( you think).

RED-10

Reading the manual seems great but an old guy like me (75) has problems with two inches of manual (with navigation etc,etc.) so I've extracted a copy of just the features I now use... I just have trouble talking to a car, and actually having it do as I say. Had to try the "hold unlock button" on my 2010 MKZ, it rolls driver window down and lifts the back of the sun roof... nice feature here in Florida. Thanks dmalbin

dmalbin

Hi RED-10
You and I are about same age (74). I agree manuals are OK but.... Yes I look forward to using this feature this summer when it is hot and humid here in Southern Ontario.

dcarey

Hi .... Just got a 2013 MKZ. Tried both "lock" and "unlock" buttons on the remote and NEITHER cause the windows to open. Perhaps this doesn't occur if the car has "remote starting" ?

CARR142

CHERRY HILL, NJ
Hi .... Just got a 2013 MKZ. Tried both "lock" and "unlock" buttons on the remote and NEITHER cause the windows to open. Perhaps this doesn't occur if the car has "remote starting" ?
My MkX has remote start and this feature works. You have to go in to the vehicle setting on the left hand side of dashboard to enable this feature. I don't have the owners manual at this time to help any further.

JC

dcarey

OK OK OK ..... I got the secret handshake. If the car is UNLOCKED, pressing the remote LOCK BUTTON once and releasing THEN pressing it again for more than 2 seconds WILL CLOSE the windows IF OPEN. Conversely, if the car is LOCKED and the windows are closed, pressing and releasing the UNLOCK button THEN pressing it again AND holding for more than 2 seconds will open the windows. If the car is running VIA remote start then the windows will NOT open if the buttons are pressed.

JoeMKZ07

MKZ 2011.
Locked car with all windows closed. Rainy evening. On return to car couple hours later, car is still locked but front windows are wide open including the roof window. What can cause this malfunction? Scary situation. Has only happened once couple weeks ago.

Followup: Checked with my dealer; he checked Ford messages regarding window problems and found the solution. If one holds the remote lock button for two or more seconds it will open the windows. This is a feature that's intended to let heat out prior to getting into car.
this makes me laugh nbecause I remember the first time I came back to my car and all the windows were down and sunroof was open, I believe if you hold lock OR unlock this happens, I used to put my keys in my back pocket but since that happened while keys were in my pocket, now I just leave my keys under my seat and use the code lock to open my car, also saves me having to carry another item with me around all the time, the iphone, wallet, vape, knife & flashlight pen are enough EDC for me. I would say make sure you dont put your keys somewhere they can be accidentally pressed because this is a very easy way to lose anything valuable in your car and NOT being able to charge the thief who will also not get arrested. Breaking an entry doesnt apply and unless you have checks or debit card he uses then you wont get him for fraud. so moral is to ALWAYS lock your car and knowing your key can do this means you need to counter it with some kind of prevention...or expect stolen goods and no justice

G-411154

MKZ 2011.

I had a scary moment with mine I thought that somebody had open my car. I logged it overnight and when I went outside next morning I saw Al my window rolled down. I figured that if you press the locked button 4 times on the remote key it will not rolled down on itself anymore. So make we sure if you are going out anywhere to make sure that you press the he lock key remote 4 times and it will stay lock same when you open your car press 4 times to unlock.