Which wheels should I choose? 22-inches or 20 inches

wheeling

I'm considering a Reserve II, but have concerns for the 22-inch wheels. Those 22" wheels certainly look very nice on the Aviator. However, there are draw backs, harsh ride, road noise, and high costs associated with potential replacement. I want to ask the owners what your experience with the large wheels? I know the dynamic handling package will take care of the harsh ride, but I don't want that for durability concerns. Any ideals? 20 inches are already big enough.

For Reserve, you can either go to the reserve II with the 22 wheels, or stay with Reserve I and add Luxury and Illumination packages and keep the 20 wheels. You can also add the tow hatch. The prices are almost identical. Any suggestion?

obed96

We picked up our 2020 aviator about 2 weeks ago and just went on a road trip with the family. It is buttery smooth. We have the reserve ll with the dynamic handling package.

Previously, we had a 2019 atlas with 21” wheels, a 2017 Ford Explorer platinum with 20” wheels, and a 2017 Lincoln MKC with 19” wheels and adaptive suspension.

The MKC was definitely the most comfortable out of the three and perhaps slightly less stiff than the Aviator.

In my opinion, the look of the 22’s are phenomenal and worth the slightly stiffer ride to get better handling.

GT500

We picked up our 2020 aviator about 2 weeks ago and just went on a road trip with the family. It is buttery smooth. We have the reserve ll with the dynamic handling package.

Previously, we had a 2019 atlas with 21” wheels, a 2017 Ford Explorer platinum with 20” wheels, and a 2017 Lincoln MKC with 19” wheels and adaptive suspension.

The MKC was definitely the most comfortable out of the three and perhaps slightly less stiff than the Aviator.

In my opinion, the look of the 22’s are phenomenal and worth the slightly stiffer ride to get better handling.
Curious about your short ownership experience with the VW; was it simply at the end of its lease? We shopped the Atlas but were turned off by the dealership shopping experience.

cdl022259

I'm considering a Reserve II, but have concerns for the 22-inch wheels. Those 22" wheels certainly look very nice on the Aviator. However, there are draw backs, harsh ride, road noise, and high costs associated with potential replacement. I want to ask the owners what your experience with the large wheels? I know the dynamic handling package will take care of the harsh ride, but I don't want that for durability concerns. Any ideals? 20 inches are already big enough.

For Reserve, you can either go to the reserve II with the 22 wheels, or stay with Reserve I and add Luxury and Illumination packages and keep the 20 wheels. You can also add the tow hatch. The prices are almost identical. Any suggestion?
I just purchased an Aviator with Reserve II and the dynamic handling. 22" tires are pretty slim pickings with not the best comfort ratings. I'd stick to the 20" rims if your not getting the dynamic handling package.

obed96

Curious about your short ownership experience with the VW; was it simply at the end of its lease? We shopped the Atlas but were turned off by the dealership shopping experience.
i actually purchased it outright. We had a Kia telluride on order, so it was intended as a short term vehicle. We traded it in when the Telluride arrived. Had to get rid of the telluride, as I could not find an ergonomically comfortable seating position. A couple of weeks later, I traded the telluride in for the Aviator. Fortunately, I bought and sold right, so it didn’t cost very much to do this.

I liked the Atlas, very roomy and practical for our family. I actually tried to unwind the transaction with the Telluride (they could have easily sold it for more than I paid), but the paperwork had already gone through. Other than the engine being a bit under powered, I would highly recommend the Atlas as a family vehicle.

oldcarnut

We just got our Aviator and it has the 22's. I was worried because of the reviews I've read but in driving the car I am perfectly happy with the ride! It is both smooth and quiet. You get a bit of engine noise as you come up to speed but once there it is like just floating along! We love it!!!

G-793413

I love the way 20 inch rims look on Aviator Reserve. But I also love the 22 inch rims on a Black Label Aviator as well. I wish I had a choice if selecting those 22 inch BL rims when I will get the Reserve...

oldcarnut

We've had our BL Aviator for a couple months now and the ride is very smooth with the 22's. I'd go with the 22's for looks & performance. The only thing I'd change on this vehicle is the seat bottoms. i don't care what anyone else says, they get hard after a couple hours behind the wheel! Didn't have that issue in a Navigator we rented, maybe it's the couple inches of increased width?