• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Wheel corrosion

SGilbert

South Bend, IN
Attached is what my wheels look like. They were just as bad back in about 2014, and Lincoln replaced all four under warranty.
I'm now out of warranty.
What to do? Replace with OEM (prohibitive!) or aftermarket. Sand bast and re-lacquer or powder coat?
Seems like our winter salted roads totally disagree with lacquered wheels.
Anyone else have this? Ideas?

Attachments

bbf2530

Hi SGilbert. Find a good wheel refinishing company. Try Googling "Automotive wheel re-finishers in my area" and other similar terms. Your local body shops may also be able to refer you to someone.

LScott

Attached is what my wheels look like. They were just as bad back in about 2014, and Lincoln replaced all four under warranty.
I'm now out of warranty.
What to do? Replace with OEM (prohibitive!) or aftermarket. Sand bast and re-lacquer or powder coat?
Seems like our winter salted roads totally disagree with lacquered wheels.
Anyone else have this? Ideas?
I have the same problem on my 2010 MKX. Lincoln replaced my wheels also under warranty without any explanation of cause. I was thinking it was something from inside the wheel hub (like lithium grease) 'splashing' onto the wheels. I never thought about degrading of the powder coat. If you find a solution, please post it. You are the only other owner that I have heard of with this problem. Good luck!

SGilbert

South Bend, IN
It's not a powder coat. It's delaminating of the lacquer, or some such. from the aluminum, and corrosion gets in-between.
Only solution is replace or repair. Neither is cheap.

SGilbert

South Bend, IN
Update:
Finally bit the bullet and ordered a new set 3 weeks ago. Back ordered 1 month, but, as of today, it'll be another 3-4 weeks. They offered the attached at the same price (saving $26/wheel).

New wheels will be in in 5 days.Screen Shot.jpg

HTML