• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What head units are you guys running in your TC?

Helmax

Hello everyone, I joined the forum today as I took delivery of a "new to me" 2003 TC Executive...

The car is in excellent condition, has 60,383 miles, needs a few little fixes, nothing major. It had one owner prior to me and I tend to keep cars forever so I like to get them fixed up and try to keep them that way.

To my main question, I'm curious what head units you guys are running in your TCs? Thought it would be a good opportunity to get some info together and you guys do some show and tell.

My radio won't pick up, the common problem where: it scans, CD player works, but no stations tune in. Research has lead me from the antenna to the head unit and all in between... Tomorrow I'm going to dig into it.

Here's a link to some really good info I found here for anyone else trying to diagnose radio issues:

One more thing, I really would like to keep the steering wheel controls. Also the function of the stereo remaining on until the door is opened. But upgrade the head unit to something better.

Anyway, show what you got if you want. I'll repost what I find tomorrow on my TC. I do love the car, really a nice ride. My first Lincoln, I just couldn't pass up the deal I got.

Thanks in advance...

04TC

Tampa, FL
Planet Audio P9630BWRC with wireless rear view camera, but this one is now out of stock on Amazon (where I got it). Very cheap for the functionality and still works. Recently I was going to upgrade to a more expensive one with CarPlay or Android Auto, GPS, maybe SAT radio but I finally decided to keep using the one I have in already. No age-related issues yet with this head unit.

04TC

Tampa, FL
Pioneer AVH-2440NEX with the Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter
A 7 inch screen fits in the Town Car opening?? I never would've guessed, I had always limited my searches to 6.2 inch maximum. Were you able to get it to look factory in the enclosure?

YoungOldMan

Were you able to get it to look factory in the enclosure?
It looks as good as it can, I think. One of the things that drew me to it was the minimalist design, so you don’t really notice the style of the few small buttons being significantly different. Plus you can customize the LED color, so I set it to green to pretty closely match the rest of the console lights
F25ECDBC-8CB5-46C6-B203-E2C6DE7B530B.jpeg F68139A7-D6F4-464D-AA9C-40174B782752.jpeg

LincolnJosh

Alpines ILX-07 unit is nice, especially if you want CarPlay.

Also comes with back up camera, if I remember correctly as well.

A nice plus for this unit is the body is a single din but with a double din display so it will fit in without modification to the sub dash.

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
I have an 09' TC and installed the Alpine ILX-W650 with the back-up camera. I like this unit because it has Android Auto (the most inexpensive unit I've seen with this feature). It's definitely a "no frills" experience as far as graphics and animations are concerned but it also has a minimalist design and is very shallow which gives you a lot of room for cable management.

IMG_20190901_172424 (2).jpg

04TC

Tampa, FL
It looks as good as it can, I think. One of the things that drew me to it was the minimalist design, so you don’t really notice the style of the few small buttons being significantly different. Plus you can customize the LED color, so I set it to green to pretty closely match the rest of the console lights
That does look like it fits perfectly. Thanks for letting me know the 7 inch HU's fit, I will consider those if I ever need to replace my aftermarket one.

With my HU it is a pet peeve to me that I can't change the color of the button illumination. The physical and digital buttons are blue which doesn't match the green illumination of the TC. Also mine does not dim automatically with the headlights, I have to press a button on the screen every time I am driving at night. But the pros outweigh the cons.

wolf_walker

The original factory navigation head unit. :)

I keep looking for a replacement but for all the stuff I'd want it's just too much money still.
Every full size touch display unit I find under $500 is compromising something I want, so I just
haven't bothered. The in-built cd changer is dead on mine but everything else works fine, and
I have a nice hidden bluetooth unit that plugs inline with the radio antenna and works pretty well.
Plus it looks pretty slick.

Helmax

Thanks to everyone for the replies. A lot of nice, clean set ups which is what I'm looking for...

Turns out that my head unit is the issue. I will be replacing it soon. If anyone else has a set up they would like to show off, keep them coming.

bmarler

i have a pioneer avh 4200 nex and a back up camera i'm getting ready to install. going to keep the steering wheel controls and factory sub amp too. there was a good write up in the tech section and i'm essentially going to copy his install except i'm putting in a backup cam too. i found a factory refurbished unit for about $300. whole package will be about $450 when all said and done. i might try to sell the old head unit to recover a few bucks too as it works fine.

Sweet Daddy

I installed a Kenwood KMM-BT325U in my 94. I like it because I can bluetooth my phone to it, and it has a USB port for either my stick or MP3 player. One feature that I really like is the fact that you can change the face color of the unit and now it pretty much matches the bluish-green of the dash. Just wish there was a way to dim it down some... it's pretty bright at night...

DesertRatt

Just brought home my 07 TC. I stopped at an installer to look at various HU options. He recommended the Pioneer AVH-2500NEX. But, before I buy anything, I'd like to understand the whole size thing?

Is Double-Din, the same as 6.2? or 7? How many inches is Double Din? I'm a little confused - - what is the original radio size? DD?

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
Just brought home my 07 TC. I stopped at an installer to look at various HU options. He recommended the Pioneer AVH-2500NEX. But, before I buy anything, I'd like to understand the whole size thing?

Is Double-Din, the same as 6.2? or 7? How many inches is Double Din? I'm a little confused - - what is the original radio size? DD?
There are only 2 sizes, single and double din. Some double dins are 7in some are 6.2in. Some cars have what I've seen people refer to as 1.5 din, where the front of the radio is double din but the back of the radio slopes down into a single din size or similar. Just use Crutchfield's website to filter units that fit your car. Crutchfield is almost never wrong.

And as Danmanltc stated above your car has a double din size radio.

With the 2007 if you have the THX system with Navigation then swapping the HU is not plug and play and there isn't an adapter available for it. It's possible, but the wiring is more involved.

I'm not sure about the Premium or Audiophile units but they might be simpler to wire.
As raiderfan mentioned the crutchfield site is a good source.

DesertRatt

With the 2007 if you have the THX system with Navigation then swapping the HU is not plug and play and there isn't an adapter available for it. It's possible, but the wiring is more involved.

I'm not sure about the Premium or Audiophile units but they might be simpler to wire.
As raiderfan mentioned the crutchfield site is a good source.
I don't have the OEM Nav unit, just a rather mundane radio with 6-CD changer. I think I should be ok with the Crutchfield recommendations. The installer in my area didn't think there would be any issue.

Danmanltc

I looked into replacing the stock radio on my 2011. It has the SAT button, but satellite module was never installed. The one place I use that does good work, wants around $1,300 total. 7 inch radio display with Satellite GPS, apple play/android audio, and installing the back up camera, a real wired one. They say the wireless aren't that good. For now I will keep the stock radio with built in 6 CD changer which sounds decent. Not great, but not bad either.

04TC

Tampa, FL
That price for a head unit install, even with a backup camera, seems way too high for me (just my 2 cents worth). I had the Best Buy near my house install a head unit and (wireless) backup camera for $150 total, and there weren't any installation issues. You can find decent name brand head units with backup camera GPS CarPlay and Android Auto for like $500 on Amazon. Cheaper brands are even less but they can fail earlier...

HTML