• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What does this sound like?

Morgynn

What do you think this sound is? I've got new tensioners and plugs, I'm thinking maybe flexplate/tourqe converter

don-ohio

Sounds like timing chains tensioners somewhat. The GEN I had a problem with them. Is the harmonic balance er running true and are the components bolted tight?

LTC1997

I'd know better if I was listening first-hand, but could the fan be striking the fan housing?

I replaced a tensioner on a town car recently and remember the wrench having some interference with the plastics, might have jostled it?
Had a similar problem with my mower only last night, lol.

It even sounds kinda like the mis-firing cylinder I had last week when a bad spark plug needed replacing.

As long as that intake tube is, might it actually be more restrictive than a stock one?
I thought you might have an intercooler going on when I first saw that!

LTC1997

How did the new plug's gap measurement compare to the gap of the old plugs?

If the new plug gaps are larger, then there will be a higher voltage requirement from the coils/wires to make them fire reliably, and the needed extra voltage might not be quite there.

Any such weakness of spark delivery will usually become worse as the cylinder pressure rises, versus just idling. And cold plugs will have the hardest time making reliable sparks.

Morgynn

How did the new plug's gap measurement compare to the gap of the old plugs?

If the new plug gaps are larger, then there will be a higher voltage requirement from the coils/wires to make them fire reliably, and the needed extra voltage might not be quite there.

Any such weakness of spark delivery will usually become worse as the cylinder pressure rises, versus just idling. And cold plugs will have the hardest time making reliable sparks.
Well I hooked a code reader up too it and listened with a stethoscope, it definitely needs all new coil packs and I'll also make sure to double check the gap on the plugs at the same time, I could also hear it definitely needs valve lash adjustment so that'll be alot of fun on 32 valves lol does anyone know the o.d for the shims on my gen 2 3.9?

don-ohio

Well, that makes a big difference. No timing tensioner probs on Gen II I've heard of. Probably bad VCT , low octane gas, or bad COPs and plugs or gapped wrong.

Morgynn

Well, that makes a big difference. No timing tensioner probs on Gen II I've heard of. Probably bad VCT , low octane gas, or bad COPs and plugs or gapped wrong.
I think you are partially right with the COPs and the bad gas

HTML