We've heard from Cadillac, so where's Lincoln's electrics?

Corsair2020

Today, GM showed some of their future electric models that included Cadillac's Lyriq. I'd like to know if you all know where/if Lincoln is heading in a similar direction as American Luxury Electrics?

Multitask

Lincoln does not make sedans anymore... so if you are asking about the SUVs... I'm sure they will when it's ready to divulge

Corsart

For 2021, Lincoln saw fit to delete the spare tire, the engine cover, to swap the rear pop out cup holders for the cheesy moulded in ones from the Escape, eliminate the lighted temp indicators, and the little net by the right rear cubby..and that's just the Corsair.

A company that deletes expected things is in a race to the bottom, not one that is a true competitor.

Corsair2020

Ok, well, maybe I can clarify my question. I think that Lincoln had an idea to build a vehicle on the Rivian platform and canceled that program. I would like to know if Lincoln will revisit this idea and/or use another platform to create new electric options for the luxury buyer? I think something highly stylish, yet understated elegantly as Lincoln has become known would be most welcome in this burgeoning market. JMHO, of course.

SGilbert

South Bend, IN
IMHO, Lincoln needs to go back to its roots--big, bold, and high quality. It'll never happen, but here's wishing.

By the way; Electric could fit into this wish--just look at the up coming Hummer electric, or Tesla truck.

Corsart

Ok, well, maybe I can clarify my question. I think that Lincoln had an idea to build a vehicle on the Rivian platform and canceled that program. I would like to know if Lincoln will revisit this idea and/or use another platform to create new electric options for the luxury buyer? I think something highly stylish, yet understated elegantly as Lincoln has become known would be most welcome in this burgeoning market. JMHO, of course.
NO, a company that is so profit driven wont spend the necessary cash to develop electric cars. If the drive in the company is to save pennies per car on the obvious, they won't spend tens of millions to be a player in the electric car market.

I mean, engine covers and spare tires? Don't they think the consumer would notice, or don't they care?

Corsart

Lincoln isn't the 'tightwad', Ford is. Lincoln hasn't developed a new car in many years; they just adapt Fords to Lincolns.
Lincoln and Ford are used interchangeably here. Based on my limited experience with the Corsair, I think it safe to say that if the designers and engineers had their way, they'd make a compromise free car.

The part that stands out to anyone with any business sense or experience is that no one ever saved their way to leadership. To make money (and form a reputation) you have to spend...and usually, rather extravagantly.

Again, we're talking about the basics here, like engine covers and spare tires, to say nothing pf the elimination of hard interior surfaces and plastics.

SGilbert

South Bend, IN
Basics?? You said: "Again, we're talking about the basics here, like engine covers and spare tires, to say nothing pf the elimination of hard interior surfaces and plastics."

I'll give you spare tires, although doughnuts and Slime kits have proliferated in recent years, but the others are NOT 'basics'.

Corsart

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. I'm saying that in order to establish themselves, Lincoln needs to add content, not delete it. Whatever "proliferates" is irrelevant, the goal is to establish desirability and to do that, Ford needs to spend, not look to save. That's a race to the bottom.

Again, my 2020 Corsair is a truly competitive product and far superior (to me) then the competition I tried. However, deleting the spare and the other essentials makes it a far less compelling choice.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
Spare tire delete is to save weight. GM has been doing it for more than 10 years. I used to own a 2007 Saturn Sky that had the tire inflator instead of a spare. It caused me to hesitate on buying the car, but then I realized that in all my years of driving I only had 1 instance where the inflator wouldn't have worked in place of a spare. Now, both of my Lincolns have spares, but I also have a tire inflator in each. For a slow leak, it's easier to inflate the tire than it is to change it. I also have road service through my insurance, but who wants to wait for that?

As far as electrics, I can imagine a Lincoln version of the Mustang Mach E.

Corsart

Spare tire delete is to save weight. GM has been doing it for more than 10 years. I used to own a 2007 Saturn Sky that had the tire inflator instead of a spare. It caused me to hesitate on buying the car, but then I realized that in all my years of driving I only had 1 instance where the inflator wouldn't have worked in place of a spare. Now, both of my Lincolns have spares, but I also have a tire inflator in each. For a slow leak, it's easier to inflate the tire than it is to change it. I also have road service through my insurance, but who wants to wait for that?

I would accept the tire explanation if it wasn't combined with all the other deletions.

Corsair2020

So, as far as a Lincoln version of the Mustang Mach-E, could you be referring to the '22-'23 Corsair?