Water pouring from door/trapped water

Juli1090

Curious if there’s been any resolution or advice regarding an issue with water pooling after rain and then pouring out of my drivers side door once the door is opened for the first time after rainfall.
ive noticed I’m not the only one in other Lincoln forums (some not even having the mkc but another model).
I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2017 MKC in November. and am having this issue only with the drivers side door. The water also freezes in cold weather making it hard to open the door (car is not garage kept or covered). Water is not pooling in the door cavity but between door and the body of the car where rocker panel is. The theory is that the door gasket is damming the water in.
I also noticed rust on the door and took it back to the dealer explaining this issue after seeing this thread. Their response was they couldn’t re-create the water damming (yeah right) but because it was under warranty, they would replace the door due to rust. Clearly not solving the root of the problem.
fast forward two days and we have a rainfall. So this time I recorded opening the door for the first time and water coming out. Water is still being dammed and coming out when opened for the first time.
I have no clue how long it will take forever rust to start again with this new door but I hold on to cars till they die, not just for a few years and then replace soooo really frustrated

Last edited:

Corsart

Curious if there’s been any resolution or advice regarding an issue with water pooling after rain and then pouring out of my drivers side door once the door is opened for the first time after rainfall.
ive noticed I’m not the only one in other Lincoln forums (some not even having the mkc but another model).
I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2017 MKC in November. and am having this issue only with the drivers side door. The water also freezes in cold weather making it hard to open the door (car is not garage kept or covered). Water is not pooling in the door cavity but between door and the body of the car where rocker panel is. The theory is that the door gasket is damming the water in.
I also noticed rust on the door and took it back to the dealer explaining this issue after seeing this thread. Their response was they couldn’t re-create the water damming (yeah right) but because it was under warranty, they would replace the door due to rust. Clearly not solving the root of the problem.
fast forward two days and we have a rainfall. So this time I recorded opening the door for the first time and water coming out. Water is still being dammed and coming out when opened for the first time.
I have no clue how long it will take forever rust to start again with this new door but I hold on to cars till they die, not just for a few years and then replace soooo really frustrated
OK, so it sounds like your dealer is both honoring the rust thru warranty and trying to resolve the problem. Yes, it's frustrating, but try to keep that to yourself bc helping you manage your feelings is not part of their job. It will actually get in the way of resolution here.

I'd recommend going out after a rain storm...or even go out now with a hose...and recreate the issue and make a vid of it to show them. Their need to recreate the issue..or at least see it..is an important part of fixing it. Give them that information.

Juli1090

OK, so it sounds like your dealer is both honoring the rust thru warranty and trying to resolve the problem. Yes, it's frustrating, but try to keep that to yourself bc helping you manage your feelings is not part of their job. It will actually get in the way of resolution here.

I'd recommend going out after a rain storm...or even go out now with a hose...and recreate the issue and make a vid of it to show them. Their need to recreate the issue..or at least see it..is an important part of fixing it. Give them that information.
I did this today as I recently picked up the car and luckily it a rained last night. Videod opening up the door for the first time. And water pouring out.

HotrodLinkin

I'm shocked they replaced the whole door, for what probably was surface rust, although I have nothing else to go by without a picture. Proper application of weatherstripping is almost an art. Very common issue, but easily rectified. Can you post a picture?

Juli1090

I'm shocked they replaced the whole door, for what probably was surface rust, although I have nothing else to go by without a picture. Proper application of weatherstripping is almost an art. Very common issue, but easily rectified. Can you post a picture?
To be fair they said they replaced the door but for all I know they sanded and repainted. I was told the door was on backorder till April 8 but then on April 5 the car was magically ready. Maybe the door came early, who knows. I don’t have before pics of the rust (kicking myself for that) but I do have a video of how the water dumps out as we just had a rainfall so was able to get the natural opportunity. I sent that to the service advisor. They could have easily recreated what I was talking about with a hose but they claim they couldn’t.

Last edited:

HotrodLinkin

Ok, I went out to my car and saw a problem right away. The weatherstripping is attached to the sill plate creating a deep channel for water and debris to collect. I am calling this a design flaw. The better design is to mount it to the bottom of the door. You are right in your pursuit of the matter.

Juli1090

Ok, I went out to my car and saw a problem right away. The weatherstripping is attached to the sill plate creating a deep channel for water and debris to collect. I am calling this a design flaw. The better design is to mount it to the bottom of the door. You are right in your pursuit of the matter.
Responses else where has been “it’s a design flaw. Nothing you can do about it”
Should I accept this as an overall viewpoint considering I just bought this car. Rust will eventually start again
Is there something I can do that involves altering the design to remedy the situation? (Taking matters into my own hands which I’m prone to do)

do I just keep a rag in the car and wipe it after the rainfall/opening the door to drain ..? Does that help any?

HotrodLinkin

I will look at it again.... First of all, no water should be able to get to that area anyway with the door closed. How do you feel about drilling some drain holes in the sill plate? They would be virtually hidden from sight.....