Water Leak on Floor - 2006 Town Car

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

btesar

Nov 28, 2020
Durham, NC
Fortunately, that side is dry, but I know it's a problem area for Panthers too.
Yes! I was very excited to finally locate mine. I was on the verge of having a collision center look at it for $300 to see what they could find. However, the front windshield was an aftermarket replacement. So, I talked to my glass shop and they could put in a new Lincoln windshield for $400. I explained why I was looking to replace a non-cracked windshield. During the replacement, they could see 3 places on the right side that had water leaking past the seal. So, with a new windshield I have not had any issues since. Has your windshield ever been replaced?

JLM

Aug 18, 2013
Houston, TX
Yes! I was very excited to finally locate mine. I was on the verge of having a collision center look at it for $300 to see what they could find. However, the front windshield was an aftermarket replacement. So, I talked to my glass shop and they could put in a new Lincoln windshield for $400. I explained why I was looking to replace a non-cracked windshield. During the replacement, they could see 3 places on the right side that had water leaking past the seal. So, with a new windshield I have not had any issues since. Has your windshield ever been replaced?
Nope, it's the original Carlite/Lincoln windshield with 190,000 miles of sandblast wear on it. I should've replaced it 100k mi ago on the sandblasting alone, but it's been serviceable, but I could use a new windshield, and like you, I would want OEM glass. Glad to hear it fixed your leak! I mean mine is in the exact same place as yours. Only that little corner of the carpet gets wet.

btesar

Nov 28, 2020
Durham, NC
Nope, it's the original Carlite/Lincoln windshield with 190,000 miles of sandblast wear on it. I should've replaced it 100k mi ago on the sandblasting alone, but it's been serviceable, but I could use a new windshield, and like you, I would want OEM glass. Glad to hear it fixed your leak! I mean mine is in the exact same place as yours. Only that little corner of the carpet gets wet.
I had the interior out for 2 months and spent many days while it was raining with a scope trying to see where it was coming from. i couldn't replicate it with a hose. It took a long steady rain to appear. The cavity behind the door hinges was dry and the fresh air cowl wasn't leaking. I was really running out of options.

sraynes

Mar 10, 2021
Have a 2006 town car and when I'm driving it and it rains water shows up on the floor of the right rear floor. Cannot see anywhere that it is coming in. Has anyone had this problem and know the solution? Had a 1/2 inch of standing water on last trip and the bottom plug is tight. Thanks
Ours ended up being a blocked water drain channel that was from the roof in some way. At any rate the dealer identified it and cleaned it or whatever they do and it solved the issue. It was my moms Lincoln and she lived in East Texas. Lots of pine trees. The pine needles had clogged up one of the drain channels.

oktowncar

Jun 9, 2021
Lake Eufaula, Oklahoma
I would take a garden hose and lay it on the roof and then turn it on. Let it run over the windshield and other areas while you search with a bright flashlight inside the vehicle for the leak

Dan B

Jul 4, 2021
I fixed mine. It was pretty easy. There is a leak under the cowling on the passenger side. The black plastic pieces come off and you use silicone caulk to seal it back up.

1985 Owner

Oct 27, 2021
I bought a 1985 Town Car in July. After it rained a lot, I noticed that the rear driver's side floor was soaked and had standing water in it. Then I found this thread about water leaks on the floors of various Lincolns. I took off the vent top as prescribed in this thread and sealed it with Form-a-Gasket. Since then, no more standing water!

But how did water get from the air intake vent to the rear driver's side floor? The other posts in this thread says it happens on the passenger side front or rear. Is it somehow different in an 85?

Last edited:

G-530944

I bought a 1985 Town Car in July. After it rained a lot, I noticed that the rear driver's side floor was soaked and had standing water in it. Then I found this thread about water leaks on the floors of various Lincolns. I took off the vent top as prescribed in this thread and sealed it with Form-a-Gasket. Since then, no more standing water!

But how did water get from the air intake vent to the rear driver's side floor? The other posts in this thread says it happens on the passenger side front or rear. Is it somehow different in an 85?
The carpet seems to wick the water to the lowest point in the interior. Do you typically park in a spot with the left rear lower then the rest of the car?

1985 Owner

Oct 27, 2021
Do you typically park in a spot with the left rear lower then the rest of the car?
Actually . . . yes. My driveway is sloped toward a drain in the middle. My car is parked forward of the slope, so the drain is near the rear passenger side wheel. The rear driver's side floor would be the lowest spot in the car at that point.

Babyburr

Sep 18, 2020

It gets there due to a very crappy design by Ford. You’ve sealed up Ford’s horrible cheap seal so just make sure you keep the area under the cowl clean so drain holes don’t get plugged up. I love my Town Car, but I believe they could have had a better design for a Luxury Car. Don’t you?

dave42

Jul 6, 2015
Leander, TX C.K.U.
It gets there due to a very crappy design by Ford. You’ve sealed up Ford’s horrible cheap seal so just make sure you keep the area under the cowl clean so drain holes don’t get plugged up. I love my Town Car, but I believe they could have had a better design for a Luxury Car. Don’t you?
Well, the cars are no longer in warranty by the time the seal fails. Rich folks (who buy TC's new) don't keep their cars that long, they go buy a new one. At least, that's my theory. :)

FrankAA

Feb 7, 2022
So I got a great deal on a lightly driven low mileage 07 TC from an 89 y.o, has suffered the infamous leak problem (as well as the gurgling noises behind the dashboard problem)-- water ended up pooling in the rear.
Having never owned a Lincoln, Initially I thought it was a heater core problem given the gurgling behind the dashboard but I don't lose coolant and the liquid that ended up in my wet / dry vac is obviously water.
So I did the usual silicone seal around the vent under the hood (found that the gasket was of course completely dry rotted into oblivion)...but while doing it, I noticed this (see pic)...could this gap at the seal at the bottom of the windshield be causing a leak as well ?
Or is that normal?
On another note, this is just completely ridiculous! Over the last 6 years I've owned multiple Japanese vehicles and have never had to worry about a water leak in a car until I owned a Lincoln 😂.
Thank you IMG_20220206_163404377~2.jpg

Last edited:

Towncarlimoguy

Jun 11, 2020
So I got a great deal on a lightly driven low mileage 07 TC from an 89 y.o, has suffered the infamous leak problem (as well as the gurgling noises behind the dashboard problem)-- water ended up pooling in the rear.
Having never owned a Lincoln, Initially I thought it was a heater core problem given the gurgling behind the dashboard but I don't lose coolant and the liquid that ended up in my wet / dry vac is obviously water.
So I did the usual silicone seal around the vent under the hood (found that the gasket was of course completely dry rotted into oblivion)...but while doing it, I noticed this (see pic)...could this gap at the seal at the bottom of the windshield be causing a leak as well ?
Or is that normal?
On another note, this is just completely ridiculous! Over the last 6 years I've owned multiple Japanese vehicles and have never had to worry about a water leak in a car until I owned a Lincoln 😂.
Thank you View attachment 12543
That’s normal and you sealed the place where the leak comes from. The only other place, if it persists, would be the firewall where the hood release goes thru and if you have a sun roof the drains may clog. Other then that, you’re good. As for the Multiple Japanese cars you owned, they won’t compare to the Lincoln but if you find yourself missing them, you can always go back. They only have recalls every year or so lately.

Last edited:

MachMarcus

Jun 26, 2018
East Tennessee
Not many mention this area of the leaks. Most deal with the cowl, but water also enters in through the hole area at the top of the cowl and exits in this area. Pull the passenger side inner fender away from the firewall and you will see the drainage flap. Seal around that flap and your water issues will disappear. There is a ton of water that can leak through this area as it has the same foam material gasket that the cowl has. Water surface tension allows the water to "lip" back cut through the foam gasket, entering the car behind the carpet and pad. Water then follows the path of least resistance and accumulates at the lowest point, the back passenger side floorboard.

And you can talk up how Japanese cars quality, engineering don't allow for water leaks, but you should check out the Infiniti G37 sunroof drainage leaks. Horribly designed and engineered system to evacuate water. My G37 started having electrical issues and smelled like a dozen cats had urinated in a vehicle with only 35,000 miles on the odometer. Noted minor wetness in the drivers side rear. After pulling carpet back noted that the floorboards have a styrofoam base and extend downward allowing a vast amount of water to collect before it reaches the height of the interior carpet. I wet vacuumed over 4 gallons of water from the floorboards that I had been riding around with for better part of a year. Car was under warranty, but Infiniti wouldn't repair. No recall. It was a cheap $.25 plastic part with a rubber seal that the drain hose attached too at the firewall that would leak down the interior firewall behind the carpet and collect. I paid about a $1,000 to have it fixed only to have it come back again in 11 months. I engineered my own system that detoured the drain line from the firewall through holes in the floorboard to exit the water out of the vehicle below the interior. Fixed, done.

The town car was way easy to fix. Did both the cowl seal and some silicone seal around the driver's side hood release in the engine bay along with this fix and no interior water leaks. And windshield replaced 90,000 miles ago with aftermarket glass, still no leak.

FrankAA

Feb 7, 2022
Well, my 96 Tacoma (200,000 miles when I sold it 2 years ago), 99 Acura (245,000 miles when I sold it), 07 Honda fit, and my 2010 Lexus IS all stayed dry and got me down the road with minimal problems (the Lexus had the melting dash issue but Lexus actually replaced that 9 years after the car was purchased).
I like the way the Lincoln Town cars look, did a ton of research on them and read nothing but great things about them, somehow or another I missed the bad stuff.
I bought my garage-kept 07 Lincoln Town car from an 89-year-old with 74,000 miles on it; first there was the water leak ( I think I've fixed the problem but now it's looking like garbage because I'm literally scared to wash it for fear of finding a gallon of water in the rear floorboard)... and then today, simultaneously, two new problems popped up-- my "check air suspension" light has popped up after hauling four car batteries in the trunk and it appears that I've lost most (if not all?) of my power steering, all of this on a car that still has around 80,000 miles on it lol.
If anybody lives in North Carolina and wants a super clean (if you wash it) 07 Lincoln town car, holler at me.. let's make a deal👍.
P.S thanks for the tips on dealing with the water leaks.

81spacetiger

Mar 18, 2022
Pasadena, MD
My Lincoln
03 town car
So I get the dreaded water leak in my 03 TC after a good hard rain. Lucky for me I had decided to get the weather tech liner (single piece front) and most of the water drops on the new mat and puddles up - maybe a half cup of water on the passenger side.

So I remove the front passenger cowl side and see it is dirty and the drain port is hopelessly clogged. It took a while to pry the top off; I can see someone had previously removed the factory gasket and applied a black sealant. But in this case, I can see they only applied 1 bead around the opening. Videos I saw suggested adding a bead of sealant at the top and one on the bottom, then mate the pieces.

Another lesson learned, is to always clean the discharge port when you wash the car. Dirt will accumulate in that area and slowly move to the discharge port. That flow of water isn't very strong, so the dirt just slowly accumulates setting up the opportunity for water levels to rise up and challenge your sealant fix. Eventually your sealant fix will leak... so keep the upper cowling area clean and discharge port clear.

Attachments

• 39981A24-3FE9-4391-B6C6-FDF105C88F6D.jpeg
    39981A24-3FE9-4391-B6C6-FDF105C88F6D.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 14

G-337433

On the drivers side most like cause is the hood release cable rubber grommet that passes through the firewall
$15 part

TC_Owner_GA

Dec 21, 2020
Ran my '09 TC through an automatic carwash yesterday and lo and behold I had a wet carpet on the back passenger side when I pulled around and started to vacuum the interior. Stopped by Lowe's today and bought a length of rubber marine and auto seal with the self adhesive tape on the back. Took apart the cowl and there was a section of the factory seal that had just disintegrated and was completely missing. The hardest part was removing the sticky tape and glue residue. A little heat from my heat gun was all that was needed though and it came off with a little elbow grease. Cleaned it all up with a little isopropyl alcohol and applied the seal making sure to leave no gap between the points where it joined. Got everything all back together and fired up my pressure washer and purposely blew water all around the cowl area. No water made it through.

Also to note: I bought a bottle of Concrobium mold remover and preventative and soaked the back seat carpet and let it sit for a few minutes before using a towel to dry it up. Hopefully that will ward off any mold growth from starting.

This is the weather strip I purchased and used. Installation was easy and it is very flexible.