Water in the trunk.

Ron B

While looking for an object gone missing from a shopping bag in the trunk I lifted the spare tire cover. No missing object, but there was water an inch and a half deep in the spare tire well. It has been drained, the side panels, moved back, the trunk floor cover removed and all windows, the sun roof and trunk left open to dry things out. There was no indication of where water was coming in, but the side panels and floor mat were wet right behind the wheel wells.

A search of the forum indicates this was a problem earlier, but no solution had been found. Has there been one in the past couple years?

Ron B

Possible solution found. There are sunroof drain tubes on both sides of the trunk that exit just behind the wheel well. As soon as everything is dried out and before replacing all sound deadener materials, etc., I'll close the trunk lid, run water over the sun roof and see if the drains leak into the trunk.

Ron B

No water in trunk when running water over roof or washing car. However, several miles in hard rain resulted in half inch of water in the spare tire well. It appears to be coming in through the bottom center of the trunk lid. No sign of water running down around the trunk lid, but the gasket is loose and out of place across the bottom of the trunk lid. Looks like the problem may have been found.

bedfordboy

No water in trunk when running water over roof or washing car. However, several miles in hard rain resulted in half inch of water in the spare tire well. It appears to be coming in through the bottom center of the trunk lid. No sign of water running down around the trunk lid, but the gasket is loose and out of place across the bottom of the trunk lid. Looks like the problem may have been found.
Having the same problem with my recently purchased 2016 MKX, looks like the water is coming in from the roof drain tube behind the drivers side rear wheel. Were you able to solve your leak problem? Do you know how to remove the side panels so that you can access this drain tube? Thanks!