Water in driver's door. Once the drain plugs are removed, any reason to put them back?

kingoftoys

Spokane, Wa.
I have my 1998 tc outside and after several days of rain I found water in the driver's door. I removed the two drain plugs and used a small screwdriver to open them up. My question is why should I put the drain plugs back? Would it be smart to remove all the plugs from all the doors? Thank you.

bbf2530

I have my 1998 tc outside and after several days of rain I found water in the driver's door. I removed the two drain plugs and used a small screwdriver to open them up. My question is why should I put the drain plugs back? Would it be smart to remove all the plugs from all the doors? Thank you.

Hi kot. In addition to jkeatons advice: The doors have drains slots. If water is pooling in the doors, then the drain slots are clogged. Locate the slots and use a non-metallic object to clear them. Perhaps something like wooden popsicle stick, plastic knife etc.

Alternately: water can sometimes pool in the doors if the car is parked on a hill. Then the water will drain out when the door is opened or the car is driven on level ground. If it does not drain after a short drive, the drain slots are definitely blocked.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Norms1stTC

Spray some fluid film or woolwax in there also, the cheapest preventative maintenance for rusting in my opinion, I did my whole underbody, and all my doors and drain plugs, including all lock assemblies, all door hinges, and all lower door frames in and out.