Washboard Road Feel

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

jhnjohnp

Update. I permanently disconnected the rear ride height sensors because still getting diminished flak from the CCD system, ride is just fine, and rattling noise is hardly noticeable. A word to the wise on Strutmasters. The kit they sell, FD64F, covers Fusion and MKZ, so since there is no after market strut/shock for the MKZ I think you are getting Fusion strut/shocks, not even Ford OEM, no bypass adapters to fool the ride control system, and most likely no good for 19 inch wheels since the majority of Fusions run 16 to 18 inch. I questioned Strutmasters on this, they seemed confused, and weren't sure about the 19 inch wheel or if you get a ride control error without the bypass adapters.

jhnjohnp

FYI. You do get a Drive Control error when you disconnect a strut/shock. I also may stand corrected on stating there is no after market shock for the MKZ, because suddenly listed on Rockauto is a coilover strut and shock mfg. by Arnott for the MKZ. Below is Arnott's description which may indicate it both bypasses Drive Control and still offers independent dampening for 2013 thru 2016 models. Will have to ck with Arnott for details.

This shock design delivers the stability, handling, control and comfort of the original OE shock without any external commands from the vehicle. Arnott engineers have determined and tested the optimal internal shock settings to mimic the OE performance. Arnott recommends replacing these shocks in pairs.

Last edited:

JWR

How do Arnott prices compare to Strutmaster? My problem with doing EITHER is that I totally disconnected the harness from all 4 shocks and the rumble ride got nothing but worse. If it had gotten smooth disconnected I would have run right out and bought a set of non-variable shocks with no electrical connections. Now it seems like good money after bad. This Lincoln sponsored forum is rather strange in that no one is talking about this issue much but you and I and secondly the site asks for donations every once in a while.

bbf2530

How do Arnott prices compare to Strutmaster? My problem with doing EITHER is that I totally disconnected the harness from all 4 shocks and the rumble ride got nothing but worse. If it had gotten smooth disconnected I would have run right out and bought a set of non-variable shocks with no electrical connections. Now it seems like good money after bad. This Lincoln sponsored forum is rather strange in that no one is talking about this issue much but you and I and secondly the site asks for donations every once in a while.
Hi JWR. I can't answer your questions about the Arnott springs. However, I did want to point out several things about what you mentioned in your last sentence:

First, this is not "Lincoln sponsored" forum. It is simply a forum set up by fellow Lincoln owners and enthusiasts.

Second, it is safe to assume that the reason not many others are discussing the suspension/rough ride issue much is because the adaptive suspension in most MKZ's is working correctly. In other words, not many members here are discussing it, because not many people are having the problem.
Of course we can assume there others out there who are also experiencing this suspension defect like you and "jhnjohnp", but I guess they are not members here, so they don't post about it. Therefore, only those who have the problem (and are members here) discuss it.
The rest of us generally have posted in the thread to try and help those having the problem.

Third, every automotive forum I am a member of asks for donations. So that is not unusual at all.

I can't speak for others, but personally, I stopped posting in this thread because I ran out of suggestions I thought might help, my suspension works perfectly, and I felt saying my suspension works perfectly to two people who are having a problem would not be helpful.

I hope this problem can be solved for those experiencing it.

Good luck.

jhnjohnp

Last edited:

jhnjohnp

Hi JWR. I can't answer your questions about the Arnott springs. However, I did want to point out several things about what you mentioned in your last sentence:

First, this is not "Lincoln sponsored" forum. It is simply a forum set up by fellow Lincoln owners and enthusiasts.

Second, it is safe to assume that the reason not many others are discussing the suspension/rough ride issue much is because the adaptive suspension in most MKZ's is working correctly. In other words, not many members here are discussing it, because not many people are having the problem.
Of course we can assume there others out there who are also experiencing this suspension defect like you and "jhnjohnp", but I guess they are not members here, so they don't post about it. Therefore, only those who have the problem (and are members here) discuss it.
The rest of us generally have posted in the thread to try and help those having the problem.

Third, every automotive forum I am a member of asks for donations. So that is not unusual at all.

I can't speak for others, but personally, I stopped posting in this thread because I ran out of suggestions I thought might help, my suspension works perfectly, and I felt saying my suspension works perfectly to two people who are having a problem would not be helpful.

Good luck
First of all when you disconnect the electronic shock from it's Mama Lincoln Drive Control, it gets ticked off, and negative results happen. Like xineering for GM Magneride, with Arnott your are installing a good conventional dampner with a resistor to trick ride control into "thinking" the original electronic shock is still there. So no fault code, and with conventional dampening you should get a much better ride. spoke with Strutmasters, I compare them to Carshield, you more than likely get cheap knockoff Fusion struts/shocks with no resistor resulting in a Drive Control fault code. Arnott prices are higher but so is their solution.

Good luck.
Doing a little editing, and retracting here. You're right. Just read thru every post and didn't realize how few we are complaining about Drive Control problems. I did test drive 2 other 2016 MKZs, the ride was coarse, and the same weakness in the left rear shock was evident. I replace both rear shocks with the same Ford OEM shock, and improvement wasn't worth the effort. Tried pulling the connector on both rears, the rolling was diminished, but the shock riding harder plus the Drive Control error was not encouraging. Only when I detached the rear ride height sensors from the control arm did I notice a nice improvement with far less rolling and a more stable ride. Case closed for the time being. I may go with the Arnott rears leaving the front under Drive Control since I perceive no problems there, and may also get a good match with the one setting Arnotts by adjusting to comfort, normal, or sport up front. As far as the dealer goes was told if there was no error there was not much they could do. Sorry I jumped the gun on you.

Last edited:

bbf2530

Didn't exactly get what you're talking about, but I'm a member, my 2016 MKZ's ride is atrocious, have test drove 2 other 2016 MKZs from a dealer lot, they were worse, and have made some progress stabilizing my ride by cutting out CCD commands from the rear ride height sensors. My left rear shock always ran weak causing the car to roll side to side. Very annoying.

Hi jhnjohnp. Perhaps you are confused because my post was in response to JWR's post (not anything you stated), which was why I quoted his post.
And yes I clearly stated in my post that you and JWR are having this suspension/shock issue.

So now that that is out of the way, I'll try to clear up your confusion:

JWR stated "This Lincoln sponsored forum is rather strange in that no one is talking about this issue much but you and I and secondly the site asks for donations every once in a while."

So in an attempt to answer his thoughts/questions, I stated:

1- This is not a "Lincoln sponsored forum". It is a forum created by Lincoln owners and enthusiasts, for Lincoln owners and enthusiasts.
2- Concerning his statement that he feels it is "rather strange in that no one is talking about this issue much but you and I" (meaning him and you)...I simply pointed out that if more members here had the problem, they would certainly be posting about it. It is not a widespread problem as far as all MKZ's with adaptive suspensions go. That does not change the fact you and JWR are having a problem. Only that it is not widespread.
That does not mean you and him are not having a problem, only that it is not a widespread problem, which is why not many members are "talking about it much, other than you and him" (his words).
3- It is not uncommon, in fact it is normal, for online forums to ask for donations towards running them.

None of what I stated downplays, doubts or denies you are having an issue with your MKZ. But JWR wondered why only you and him are talking about it here, so I answered the question.

I've been part of this thread from early on, trying to help, as I stated.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Good luck.

Last edited:

jhnjohnp

First things first. When you disconnect the electronic strut/shock from it's Mama, Lincoln Drive Control, it gets ticked off, and performs worse. I tried it. Arnott prices are higher than Strutmasters who I spoke to, I compare them to Carshield, and what you probably get are cheap knockoff Fusion dampeners with no resistor to bypass the drive control system which creates a drive control error. Like Xineering does for GM Magneride, with Arnott you most likely get a better passive dampener with a resistor to by pass drive control into "thinking" the original electronic dampeners are still installed. You can ck the Better Business Bureau site for many complaints against Strutmasters.

Last edited:

jhnjohnp

Hi jhnjohnp. Perhaps you are confused because my post was in response to JWR's post (not anything you stated), which was why I quoted his post.
And yes I clearly stated in my post that you and JWR are having this suspension/shock issue.

So now that that is out of the way, I'll try to clear up your confusion:

JWR stated "This Lincoln sponsored forum is rather strange in that no one is talking about this issue much but you and I and secondly the site asks for donations every once in a while."

So in an attempt to answer his thoughts/questions, I stated:

1- This is not a "Lincoln sponsored forum". It is a forum created by Lincoln owners and enthusiasts, for Lincoln owners and enthusiasts.
2- Concerning his statement that he feels it is "rather strange in that no one is talking about this issue much but you and I" (meaning him and you)...I simply pointed out that if more members here had the problem, they would certainly be posting about it. It is not a widespread problem as far as all MKZ's with adaptive suspensions go. That does not change the fact you and JWR are having a problem. Only that it is not widespread.
That does not mean you and him are not having a problem, only that it is not a widespread problem, which is why not many members are "talking about it much, other than you and him" (his words).
3- It is not uncommon, in fact it is normal, for online forums to ask for donations towards running them.

None of what I stated downplays, doubts or denies you are having an issue with your MKZ. But JWR wondered why only you and him are talking about it here, so I answered the question.

I've been part of this thread from early on, trying to help, as I stated.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Good luck.
Hi bbf.
No confusion, just didn't read thru your post carefully, and do appreciate your feedback. Hope my rewrite on my previous post comes across a little more civil. Anyhow I smell victory, present ride is acceptable, and may try the Arnott rears for a possible improvement.

bbf2530

Hi bbf.
No confusion, just didn't read thru your post carefully, and do appreciate your feedback. Hope my rewrite on my previous post comes across a little more civil. Anyhow I smell victory, present ride is acceptable, and may try the Arnott rears for a possible improvement.

Hi jhnjohnp. All is well. 🤗

I must admit though, I do not understand the attitude/reasoning given by the the Service Department at your Dealership. Not everything cause/throw/record a code. In fact, many/most possible defects and problems do not throw a code. So for them to essentially state "no code, no solution", is tone deaf, to say the least.

If they test drove the vehicle (which they certainly should have done), then felt and admitted they felt something is amiss, then something is amiss, code or no code.

From what you have told occurred, I feel they should have done more to help.

Keep us updated and good luck.

jhnjohnp

Hi jhnjohnp. All is well. 🤗

I must admit though, I do not understand the attitude/reasoning given by the the Service Department at your Dealership. Not everything cause/throw/record a code. In fact, many/most possible defects and problems do not throw a code. So for them to essentially state "no code, no solution", is tone deaf, to say the least.

If they test drove the vehicle (which they certainly should have done), then felt and admitted they felt something is amiss, then something is amiss, code or no code.

From what you have told occurred, I feel they should have done more to help.

No worry. I've been around a while, and have had plenty of experience with dealership service, maybe they would have squared the problem, maybe not, but at least I have an option. When I bought the car I found about 2 gallons of standing water in the trunk, with a garden hose I pinpointed the leak, brought it to the dealer pointing out the exact location of the leak. No dice, they said all fixed, but it still leaked. Ended up taking care of it myself. FYI, judging by the way these Arnott dampeners are out of stock on most web sites, I think it's safe to say I'm not alone with this suspension problem. To be fare to the dealer, they did offer to look it over, even with no fault code. Again, thanks for your feed back.

bbf2530

No worry. I've been around a while, and have had plenty of experience with dealership service, maybe they would have squared the problem, maybe not, but at least I have an option. When I bought the car I found about 2 gallons of standing water in the trunk, with a garden hose I pinpointed the leak, brought it to the dealer pointing out the exact location of the leak. No dice, they said all fixed, but it still leaked. Ended up taking care of it myself. FYI, judging by the way these Arnott dampeners are out of stock on most web sites, I think it's safe to say I'm not alone with this suspension problem. To be fare to the dealer, they did offer to look it over, even with no fault code. Again, thanks for your feed back.

Hi jhnjohnp. Yes, we have all been around awhile. 🙃

Just throwing you a little supportive commiseration...;)

Unfortunately, many/most things are out of stock nowadays, and it will be like that for some time.

Good luck.

jhnjohnp

Hi jhnjohnp. Yes, we have all been around awhile. 🙃

Just throwing you a little supportive commiseration...;)

Unfortunately, many/most things are out of stock nowadays, and it will be like that for some time.

Good luck.
OK. thanks. If I do opt for the Arnotts will post status.

jhnjohnp

Just thought of something. I recall riding in a 2003 Cadillac STS, on a very level road, and saying to myself what a crummy ride. It felt like I was riding on jello, very jittery, unstable, and now I know why! It was GM's first car with magnetic ride control which obviously wasn't operating as designed. Including my own MKZ I drove 4, and immediately was not impressed with the ride, so why did I buy one? Well, I'm a sucker for looks, the MKZ is beautiful, and for an off lease price of $18,500 I went for it. Now that I'm making inroads on improving the ride I like her even more. Also, when I mentioned Arnott struts/shocks were out of stock on some web sites, I was implying they seem to be flying off the shelves as soon as they come. So, in light of everything, I'm optimistic.

bbf2530

Just thought of something. I recall riding in a 2003 Cadillac STS, on a very level road, and saying to myself what a crummy ride. It felt like I was riding on jello, very jittery, unstable, and now I know why! It was GM's first car with magnetic ride control which obviously wasn't operating as designed. Including my own MKZ I drove 4, and immediately was not impressed with the ride, so why did I buy one? Well, I'm a sucker for looks, the MKZ is beautiful, and for an off lease price of $18,500 I went for it. Now that I'm making inroads on improving the ride I like her even more. Also, when I mentioned Arnott struts/shocks were out of stock on some web sites, I was implying they seem to be flying off the shelves as soon as they come. So, in light of everything, I'm optimistic.

Hi jhnjohnp. First, let me start off by once again clearly stating that I am not doubting, denying or downplaying the issues you and JWR have been having with your MKZ's ride control. And it is safe to assume there is a minority of other MKZ owners out there suffering the same issue which you both have

Now, that being said...Yes, I realized exactly what you were implying when you stated the Arnott struts/shocks were out of stock on some websites. :ROFLMAO:

And I respect your right to have that opinion. However, in my opinion (which I also have a right to...right?;)), I would think that theory may be a bit of a leap in logic with no evidence, since there are only two owners complaining here (you and JWR), and I've seen zero to no similar complaints on the other Lincoln/MKZ/Fusion websites I frequent and/or Moderate.

Again, there would certainly be more complaints...somewhere...anywhere...if this was a widespread issue that caused Arnott shocks to be "flying off the shelves" to replace MKZ shock problems, as opposed to it being a pandemic related commodity issue like most every other shortage currently affecting us.
Also, it is a strut/shock meant for a discontinued car line. Of course it will be hard to find, since stock will slowly disappear completely due to manufacturing ending. Companies do not make a profit off of stock sitting on shelves and gathering dust. So they limit production to what is forecast can be sold.

The only complaints I normally see about the MKZ ride are that the MKZ ride was too firm, when compared to the Lincoln Town Cars or the other older Lincolns/Cadillacs etc, which the owners previously drove/came from previously. And I have seen the same complaints from owners of the 2006 MKZ/Zephyr onward. And the same complaints about the Lincoln LS, MKS etc. and the newer Continental, Navigator, MKX etc. etc.. Some of which have Dynamic Ride Control and most of which did not. But again, those were only complaints about what they considered to be "too firm a ride", when compared to the pillow soft ride of older cars. Not the disconcerting, undulating ride issues you have described.

The truth is, the vast majority of MKZ owners have never even heard of Arnott shocks, let alone contemplated replacing their MKZ shocks with Arnott shocks...lol. So there would be no reason for them to be "flying off the shelves".

Again, I am not denying or downplaying the issues you and JWR have been having with your MKZ's ride control. And again, I am sure there are a minority of other owners out there with a similar issue, just like every problem/defect. However, I don't understand the push to try and make a limited aspect problem/defect for a few owners (only two here in this 6 page thread, as even you stated yesterday), into a widespread problem with struts/shocks mysteriously "flying off the shelves" to replace factory MKZ shocks. :eek:

As they say, the simplest explanation/answer is usually the answer.

But again, I hope you can find a solution to your MKZ's ride issues.

Last edited:

jhnjohnp

Hi jhnjohnp. First, let me start off by once again clearly stating that I am not doubting, denying or downplaying the issues you and JWR have been having with your MKZ's ride control. And it is safe to assume there is a minority of other MKZ owners out there suffering the same issue which you both have

Now, that being said...Yes, I realized exactly what you were implying when you stated the Arnott struts/shocks were out of stock on some websites. :ROFLMAO:

And I respect your right to have that opinion. However, in my opinion (which I also have a right to...right?;)), I would think that theory may be a bit of a leap in logic with no evidence, since there are only two owners complaining here (you and JWR), and I've seen zero to no similar complaints on the other Lincoln/MKZ/Fusion websites I frequent and/or Moderate.

Again, there would certainly be more complaints...somewhere...anywhere...if this was a widespread issue that caused Arnott shocks to be "flying off the shelves" to replace MKZ shock problems, as opposed to it being a pandemic related commodity issue like most every other shortage currently affecting us.
Also, it is a strut/shock meant for a discontinued car line. Of course it will be hard to find, since stock will slowly disappear completely due to manufacturing ending. Companies do not make a profit off of stock sitting on shelves and gathering dust. So they limit production to what is forecast can be sold.

The only complaints I normally see about the MKZ ride are that the MKZ ride was too firm, when compared to the Lincoln Town Cars or the other older Lincolns/Cadillacs etc, which the owners previously drove/came from previously. And I have seen the same complaints from owners of the 2006 MKZ/Zephyr onward. And the same complaints about the Lincoln LS, MKS etc. and the newer Continental, Navigator, MKX etc. etc.. Some of which have Dynamic Ride Control and most of which did not. But again, those were only complaints about what they considered to be "too firm a ride", when compared to the pillow soft ride of older cars. Not the disconcerting, undulating ride issues you have described.

The truth is, the vast majority of MKZ owners have never even heard of Arnott shocks, let alone contemplated replacing their MKZ shocks with Arnott shocks...lol. So there would be no reason for them to be "flying off the shelves".

Again, I am not denying or downplaying the issues you and JWR have been having with your MKZ's ride control. And again, I am sure there are a minority of other owners out there with a similar issue, just like every problem/defect. However, I don't understand the push to try and make a limited aspect problem/defect for a few owners (only two here in this 6 page thread, as even you stated yesterday), into a widespread problem with struts/shocks mysteriously "flying off the shelves" to replace factory MKZ shocks. :eek:

As they say, the simplest explanation/answer is usually the answer.

But again, I hope you can find a solution to your MKZ's ride issues.
but
Hello BBf.
Just got off the phone with Xineering, they provide by pass kits for GM Magneride, and was told business is booming. I then called Arnott directly, and was told the bypass struts/shocks for the MKZ with dampener simulator is a relatively new product, and selling so briskly they are having trouble keeping up with demand. You can draw your own conclusion, but it appears literally off the shelves is not a stretch, and that I'm not alone in this predicament. But again, thanks for your concerns and feedback.

bbf2530

Hello BBf.
Just got off the phone with Xineering, they provide by pass kits for GM Magneride, and was told business is booming. I then called Arnott directly, and was told the bypass struts/shocks for the MKZ with dampener simulator is a relatively new product, and selling so briskly they are having trouble keeping up with demand. You can draw your own conclusion, but it appears literally off the shelves is not a stretch, and that I'm not alone in this predicament. But again, thanks for your concerns and feedback.

Hi jhnjohnp. Again, I want to start off with: I absolutely believe you and JWR are having suspension issues, and hope you can find a suitable resolution. I don't want you or anyone else thinking I am casting doubt on your (or JWR's) suspension issues.

However, concerning your phone calls: I would absolutely expect a company making any product to say exactly that to a prospective customer..."They're flying off the shelves, selling like hotcakes, and we can't make enough of 'em". What did you expect them to say..."Nah...we don't sell all that many..."?
That would be one quickly unemployed company rep.

I would lend more credence to this being a widespread problem if maybe one or two more MKZ owners who are members here, or somewhere, or anywhere else would complain about the same issue. Right now, it is you and JWR, and you thought it was more until you read back through the entire thread yesterday.

So if few to none other MKZ owners are complaining about this issue, who is buying all those Arnott shocks that are "flying off the shelves"?

Bottom line is...Making what all evidence points to being an issue for a few owners seem like a widespread issue does not help you or JWR.

But at least it is a spirited and polite discussion, which may get any other MKZ owners suffering with the same problem to step up and talk about it.

jhnjohnp

Hi jhnjohnp. Again, I want to start off with: I absolutely believe you and JWR are having suspension issues, and hope you can find a suitable resolution. I don't want you or anyone else thinking I am casting doubt on your (or JWR's) suspension issues.

However, concerning your phone calls: I would absolutely expect a company making any product to say exactly that to a prospective customer..."They're flying off the shelves, selling like hotcakes, and we can't make enough of 'em". What did you expect them to say..."Nah...we don't sell all that many..."?
That would be one quickly unemployed company rep.

I would lend more credence to this being a widespread problem if maybe one or two more MKZ owners who are members here, or somewhere, or anywhere else would complain about the same issue. Right now, it is you and JWR, and you thought it was more until you read back through the entire thread yesterday.

So if few to none other MKZ owners are complaining about this issue, who is buying all those Arnott shocks that are "flying off the shelves"?

Bottom line is...Making what all evidence points to being an issue for a few owners seem like a widespread issue does not help you or JWR.

But at least it is a spirited and polite discussion, which may get any other MKZ owners suffering with the same problem to step up and talk about it.

Polite and spirited we will keep it. Flying off the shelves is my expression not Arnotts. I was told by Arnott they are back logged on some components-unable to fill orders, which would indicate demand out there, and not just from a few owners. Including my car, I have driven 4 MKZs with the same problem, now what are the odds of getting 4 lemons in a row? At any rate Arnott's fix is irrelevant for the time being, my car is still under warranty, and don't want it voided because of some after market modification. My temporary fix will suffice. Hey, I do want to thank you for adding a new word to my limited vocabulary, commiseration, had to look it up. Peace.

Last edited:

bbf2530

Polite and spirited we will keep it. Flying off the shelves is my expression not Arnotts. I was told by Arnott they are back logged on some components-unable to fill orders, which would indicate demand out there, and not just from a few owners. Including my car, I have driven 4 MKZs with the same problem, now what are the odds of getting 4 lemons in a row? At any rate Arnott's fix is irrelevant for the time being, my car is still under warranty, and don't want it voided because of some after market modification. My temporary fix will suffice. Hey, I do want to thank you for adding a new word to my limited vocabulary, commiseration, had to look it up. Peace.

Hi jhnjohnp. Yes, I'm pretty sure they did not say they are "selling like hotcakes" either. ;)
Those were my rhetorical quotes, obviously. But everyone will hopefully get the point. And unless Arnott provides sales numbers on how many MKZ specific shocks have been sold, "back logged on some components-unable to fill orders" can mean a lot of things.
I have heard of no one, not a single MKZ owner (or Continental/Fusion), buying Arnott shocks for their MKZ. And that is on 7 MKZ/Lincoln/Fusion centric forums I participate in. And the reality is, at least up until now, neither have you....correct? So I'm unsure where all those Arnott shocks are flying off the shelves to.
I actually wish we lived closer to each other, so we could drive each others MKZ's and see exactly what you are describing, in comparison to my MKZ.

And if there was a widespread issue (at least something more than two owners), I would be the first to stand beside you and call for a solution.

I will say this: The only reason I hope I am correct is not just to be right, but because my point of view means there are many more happy owners of MKZ's than unhappy ones. And I assume you would feel the same way, since it does not solve your problem, and makes your problem no easier to handle to imagine more unhappy MKZ owners.

I would use the analogy of a person who is ill: Finding reasons to believe many others are also ill with the same disease provides no cure to that sick person and makes the illness no easier to get through for that sick person.

As soon as I see more evidence of more MKZ owners complaining of a similar suspension issue (more than 2 here), I will certainly feel it may be more widespread, as you believe. Until then, all the non-anecdotal evidence points to this issue being very limited.
A theory is a theory. And evidence is evidence. And there is no evidence yet of a widespread problem.

And obviously, for the sake of other MKZ owners, I hope it stays a limited problem. I'm sure you do to, since having more sick people in beds next to you does not help cure you.

I hope you understand I am not trying to argue with you, only put things in a proper context. And obviously, no matter how much we discuss this, I realize I am not going to change your opinion. However, I also hope just as strongly that you and JWR can find a satisfactory resolution for your problems.

Until then, I certainly commiserate with your plight. ;)

Peace and good luck to you too, jhnjohnp.

Last edited: