• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Washboard Road Feel

jhnjohnp

Just a thought here. I am somewhat sure we have some kind of software problem, a flaky module or modules. I'm aware of a damper control module, ECU module, and who knows what else. That would explain the inconsistent ride behavior I'm experiencing, that is really poor to acceptable, and on very brief occasions almost perfect.

jhnjohnp

Finally went to my Lincoln dealer, and they said no error no problem, and were not very optimistic. Just a side note. I bought a 50lb pound bag of fertilizer, put it in the trunk, and with a full tank of gas the car rides better. Didn't plan this as a fix, just dumb luck.

bbf2530

Finally went to my Lincoln dealer, and they said no error no problem, and were not very optimistic. Just a side note. I bought a 50lb pound bag of fertilizer, put it in the trunk, and with a full tank of gas the car rides better. Didn't plan this as a fix, just dumb luck.
Hi jhn. I forget whether we ever discussed what tire pressures you are using? What PSI do you inflate your tires to?

jhnjohnp

Hi jhn. I forget whether we ever discussed what tire pressures you are using? What PSI do you inflate your tires to?
Glad you asked. The car calls for 36psi all around, no way, I keep it around 32 to soften the blow. Also, I test drove 2 other 2016's, at different Lincoln dealers, and they were worse than mine. From what I understand Lincoln has softened up the suspension on the 2017's on up, and that might explain why later model owners do better. As of right now I wish I could bypass the ride control, and install conventional dampers, like some owners of GM Magneride vehicles are doing. To be honest, my MKZ with less tire pressure, 50 additional lbs. in the trunk, ain't doing so bad. I asked an owner of a 2020 MKZ about his car, he said very smooth, and loved it. Oh yeah, don't neglect to change your cabin filter often, during the Pandemic.

bbf2530

Glad you asked. The car calls for 36psi all around, no way, I keep it around 32 to soften the blow. Also, I test drove 2 other 2016's, at different Lincoln dealers, and they were worse than mine. From what I understand Lincoln has softened up the suspension on the 2017's on up, and that might explain why later model owners do better. As of right now I wish I could bypass the ride control, and install conventional dampers, like some owners of GM Magneride vehicles are doing. To be honest, my MKZ with less tire pressure, 50 additional lbs. in the trunk, ain't doing so bad. I asked an owner of a 2020 MKZ about his car, he said very smooth, and loved it. Oh yeah, don't neglect to change your cabin filter often, during the Pandemic.
Hi jhn. Yes, my 2018 MKZ Reserve with the 19" wheels calls for 38 psi. I keep them at 38 psi (or as close as I can with ambient temperature fluctuations). In fact, I try to be sure it does not go below 38, even on cold mornings.

Anyway, my MKZ is also very smooth. Of course it is not Town Car soft/smooth (nothing is nowadays), but nowhere near what you describe.

Seems as though you do have some sort of issue, but your Dealer is not digging deep enough to find it.

One other question, since I am too lazy to read back through the entire thread at the moment: What brand/model tires are currently on your MKZ and how many miles are on those tires?

Hope you can find a resolution. Good luck.

Last edited:

jhnjohnp

Hi jhn. Yes, my 2018 MKZ Reserve with the 19" wheels calls for 38 psi. I keep them at 38 psi (or as close as I can with ambient temperature fluctuations). In fact, I try to be sure it does not go below 38, even on cold mornings.

Anyway, my MKZ is also very smooth. Of course it is not Town Car soft/smooth (nothing is nowadays), but nowhere near what you describe.

Seems as though you do have some sort of issue, but your Dealer is not digging deep enough to find it.

One other question, since I am too lazy to read back through the entire thread at the moment: What brand/model tires are currently on your MKZ and how many miles are on those tires?

Hope you can find a resolution. Good luck.
Original Michelin's with 52,000, and it's not the tires cause I rented a 2020 Cadillac XTS with identical wheels and no problems. What kills me is Ford has been manufacturing cars for some 115 years. So how can you Mfg. a Lincoln renowned for luxury, a beautiful ride, and then screw it up. Dopes. My wife's 2012 Camry SE with 70,000 on it, which I gave to her, rides slightly better, and that's a $23,000 car. Aside from the ride the MKZ's steering seems a little squirrely cause now and then it veers left and right as if trying to avoid imaginary pot holes. As I said the other 2 I test drove with mileage in the mid 20,000 range were worse.

bbf2530

Original Michelin's with 52,000, and it's not the tires cause I rented a 2020 Cadillac XTS with identical wheels and no problems. What kills me is Ford has been manufacturing cars for some 115 years. So how can you Mfg. a Lincoln renowned for luxury, a beautiful ride, and then screw it up. Dopes. My wife's 2012 Camry SE with 70,000 on it, which I gave to her, rides slightly better, and that's a $23,000 car. Aside from the ride the MKZ's steering seems a little squirrely cause now and then it veers left and right as if trying to avoid imaginary pot holes. As I said the other 2 I test drove with mileage in the mid 20,000 range were worse.
Hi jhn. Not saying it is the tires causing the root of your problem. However, while it won't cure the problem, it will surely help. And although you did not mention which Michelin model, it was actually the mileage I was more concerned about.

The best thing you can do at this point is eliminate all variables that are adding to the problem. At 52,000 miles, your original tires are shot. Replacing them would help with both the ride and handling.

You are comparing your car, with end of life tires, to a brand new car with brand new tires. That comparison to a 2020 XTS serves more to verify the information I am trying to explain than dispel it.

You may be amazed at how having new tires with full tread will help the ride and handling. I am surprised at the stark differences, every time I replace the tires on my older MKZ. Still have the OEM's on my 2018.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

jhnjohnp

Hi jhn. Not saying it is the tires causing the root of your problem. However, while it won't cure the problem, it will surely help. And although you did not mention which Michelin model, it was actually the mileage I was more concerned about.

The best thing you can do at this point is eliminate all variables that are adding to the problem. At 52,000 miles, your original tires are shot. Replacing them would help with both the ride and handling.

You are comparing your car, with end of life tires, to a brand new car with brand new tires. That comparison to a 2010 XTS serves more to verify the information I am trying to explain than dispel it.

You may be amazed at how having new tires with full tread will help the ride and handling. I am surprised at the stark differences, every time I replace the tires on my older MKZ. Still have the OEM's on my 2018.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
I'm sure you're right, but don't forget the other 2 MKZ's I test drove with less than 30,000 miles rode worse than mine. Other than the somewhat crude ride, my MKZ hybrid is a solid performer, and at less than half the sticker price I'm ok with it. Thanks for your input.

bbf2530

I'm sure you're right, but don't forget the other 2 MKZ's I test drove with less than 30,000 miles rode worse than mine. Other than the somewhat crude ride, my MKZ hybrid is a solid performer, and at less than half the sticker price I'm ok with it. Thanks for your input.
Hi jhn. You are very welcome. Just so you know, I am not doubting at all that your car has some sort of suspension/handling issue. I'm only trying to help where possible.

I had not forgot about the test drives of the other two 2016's that were sitting on Dealer lots. Just thought it would be better to address the obvious issue with the 2020 XT comparison.
The problem with the used 2016 MKZ comparisons is the unknown variable of what condition the tires were in on those cars too. Add to that the fact that even if they were not worn, at the very least, there is a good chance the tires could/would be flat spotted from sitting for long periods. And that would certainly cause a harsh ride. Plus, tires stiffen after long periods of not rolling/being used.

Sitting for long periods of time actually damages the rubber in tires. It becomes harder and less complaint. While driving obviously leads to tread wear, it actually keeps the tires more flexible. If anyone is interested, I can post links to that information from the major tire manufacturers.

Again, I completely believe that your car has some sort of issue, just trying to help you eliminate as many variables as you can. And in this case, your tires are end of life and new tires will help a lot with the ride and handling issues.

Hope you can get this solved somehow and good luck.

jhnjohnp

Hi jhn. You are very welcome. Just so you know, I am not doubting at all that your car has some sort of suspension/handling issue. I'm only trying to help where possible.

I had not forgot about the test drives of the other two 2016's that were sitting on Dealer lots. Just thought it would be better to address the obviTheous issue with the 2020 XT comparison.
The problem with the used 2016 MKZ comparisons is the unknown variable of what condition the tires were in on those cars too. Add to that the fact that even if they were not worn, at the very least, there is a good chance the tires could/would be flat spotted from sitting for long periods. And that would certainly cause a harsh ride. Plus, tires stiffen after long periods of not rolling/being used.

Sitting for long periods of time actually damages the rubber in tires. It becomes harder and less complaint. While driving obviously leads to tread wear, it actually keeps the tires more flexible. If anyone is interested, I can post links to that information from the major tire manufacturers.

Again, I completely believe that your car has some sort of issue, just trying to help you eliminate as many variables as you can. And in this case, your tires are end of life and new tires will help a lot with the ride and handling issues.

Hope you can get this solved somehow and good luck.
Look, if a car got heart, it don't matter whether the tires are bad or whatever, you still know basically it's good or bad. The Ford Fusion, which the MKZ shares it's underpinnings with, has great handling and ride. As a matter of fact one of the most stable and fun to drive cars I ever drove was a Ford Focus. I was aware of this 100 feet off he renal lot. Only difference between the MKZ, and the other 2, is Lincoln Drive Control. In my case an ambitious effort but failed one by Ford. You could compare it to Windows 8. The only fix I see is to bypass the ride control and install Fusion Hybrid struts and shocks since the curb weight is only about 2 hundred pounds difference. There has to be a reason why a $43,000 car 3 model years out is selling for $18,500. I am signing off for now and will advz if situation improves.

bbf2530

Look, if a car got heart, it don't matter whether the tires are bad or whatever, you still know basically it's good or bad. The Ford Fusion, which the MKZ shares it's underpinnings with, has great handling and ride. As a matter of fact one of the most stable and fun to drive cars I ever drove was a Ford Focus. I was aware of this 100 feet off he renal lot. Only difference between the MKZ, and the other 2, is Lincoln Drive Control. In my case an ambitious effort but failed one by Ford. You could compare it to Windows 8. The only fix I see is to bypass the ride control and install Fusion Hybrid struts and shocks since the curb weight is only about 2 hundred pounds difference. There has to be a reason why a $43,000 car 3 model years out is selling for $18,500. I am signing off for now and will advz if situation improves.
Hi jhn. To quote the second sentence of my reply: "Just so you know, I am not doubting at all that your car has some sort of suspension/handling issue. I'm only trying to help where possible."
And towards the end of my reply: "Again, I completely believe that your car has some sort of issue, just trying to help you eliminate as many variables as you can."

"Look...", I was attempting to carry on a conversation and offer advice that will help you, even if it does not solve the underlying problem. That is what this forum is for.

Good luck with your car.

Last edited:

jhnjohnp

Hi jhn. To quote the second sentence of my reply: "Just so you know, I am not doubting at all that your car has some sort of suspension/handling issue. I'm only trying to help where possible."
And towards the end of my reply: "Again, I completely believe that your car has some sort of issue, just trying to help you eliminate as many variables as you can."

"Look...", I was attempting to carry on a conversation and offer advice that will help you, even if it does not solve the underlying problem. That is what this forum is for.

Good luck with your car.
OK, thanks.

Multitask

In my 2020, I've been playing with the Sport/Normal/Comfort settings, they adjust the steering wheel, wheels, and suspension (maybe other stuff that I'm not aware of) ... I found that I like some of the ride of Comfort, but the feel of Sport ... so I leave it on Sport most of the time... only Comfort for long drives... not sure I feel much with 'Normal'

HTML