Very cool TC for sale at Volo cars with less than 1k miles.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
I wish I could purchase this TC. My wife isn't as impressed as I am though;)

Hi, Eric W.

Sadly, it's a little rich for my blood. And, to start using such a perfect time-capsule would be almost sacrilegious.

This was a rather heavily optioned car, missing only the factory sunroof. The car even has the extra cost fifth alloy wheel. Normally, the full-size spare is steel even with alloy wheels, unless you order the fifth alloy wheel, which isn't often done in my experience. It'll be a great care for someone.

Cheers!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Corpus Christi, TX
I wouldn’t give more than $10k myself. It’s a 28-year-old car. As I noted in another post a several weeks ago ultra-low mileage cars aren’t worth a premium price, in my experience. Every one I’ve owned had an unusually large number of problems. Parts just die of “rigor mortis” - i.e. old age. Especially things like hoses, radiators, fuel pumps, power brake boosters, etc. In many ways, the car's age is more relevant than its mileage.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My 2003 Cartier

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
I wouldn’t give more than $10k myself. It’s a 28-year-old car. As I noted in another post a several weeks ago ultra-low mileage cars aren’t worth a premium price, in my experience. Every one I’ve owned had an unusually large number of problems. Parts just die of “rigor mortis” - i.e. old age. Especially things like hoses, radiators, fuel pumps, power brake boosters, etc. In many ways, the car's age is more relevant than its mileage.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My 2003 Cartier

Hi, Wayne A. Pflughaupt.

I believe the car is "worth" the asking price even taking what you wrote into consideration. This car is more valuable to restorers so they can take pictures of everything to see how the factory did it. The actual purchaser of this car will, if they plan to actually drive it rather than put it on display in a museum will be replacing a lot of stuff as soon as they get the car off of the trailer..

They'll be replacing all five tires, all of the hoses, and will in short order likely need to replace all of the seals as well. The air springs and shocks are also likely on the list as well.

However, I've seen hoses "that old" continue to do the job without leaking, and the car appears to have been stored in as correct and non-destructive a manner as possible. If I had the money, I'd buy it. But I would still feel somewhat guilty even looking at the extra $15 grand in replacement parts right out the door driving the last "new" 1993 Lincoln Town Car.

Cheers!

All2kool

Portland, OR
My 1996 Cartier was in the same color. Would I pay $33k for that car? Not if I had a billion dollars. It's a $7500 Lincoln Town Car at best. And I say that as there isn't anything special about it. It's the entry level Executive model. It has that vomit inducing dealer added roof. The low miles are irrelevant as all the bits on the car are still 28 years old.

Last edited:

Ballyhoo

For a car that old and that few of mileage, there are may cost factors now associated with it. The fuel system would be priority one. Unless actual run dry, varnish will have set in. Next, rubber deteriorates extremely quickly if not worked through driving. Then there's the suspension. Coil springs, if not relieved of the pressure from the weight of the vehicle, will leave the car driving very loose as they have become weakened in tensile strength. The point is, unless you'd be buying it as a collector car and don't plan on much, if any, driving, $5,000 would be a reasonable offer.

How I know this is that I acquired my father's 1978 F150 some years after he stopped driving. Sometime before then, he replaced the rusted fuel tank and wrapped a new one in black trash bags. Before attempting to turn the key, I discovered a near full tank of fifteen plus year gasoline. Drain it? Not when it solidified to thick molasses. But the tank was still shiny!