Ventilated seats?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

RikerZ

I finally tried the ventilated seats in the Continental and was quite disappointed. I set it on max and heard the sound of fans, but I didn't feel anything, at least not through my clothing(not thick material). Is my seat malfunctioning? I haven't tried the rest of the passenger seats.
What is your experience with the ventilated seats? I had cooled seats in my Lincoln LS and it was life-changing during the summertime :love:
Thanks!

MarkX

Mine aren't strong, either. It is easy to forget it's on, except for the faint whirring of the fan.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I tried the cooled seats (first car with those) a few times and I thought it quite nice. I could feel the difference. The heated seats work well too, but I don't use either on a regular basis.

OmegaLincoln

I've had heated and cooled seats in several different cars for a while now. Overall, I use heat more than cool. Cool just doesn't seem needed as much with the AC system. I do like having it for long trips. And heat feels good on my back.

I haven't tried cool yet, but heat works just fine in mine.

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia Beach, VA
Have cooled seats on the 20: not yet really hot enough here to get a sense that they are useful; but they do work. I find the fan noise in the seat back disconcerting.

Heated seats are essential (believe it or not, didn't have them on my 2013 RR Sport -- first sold in FL: reason to trade for the 17 Continental).

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
For clarification, ventilated seats are different from cooled seats? As in one has just a fan blowing upwards towards your arse and the other one is actually refrigerated? I remember my mother in laws Cadillac had "cooled" seats which would freeze my buns off if left on too long.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
For clarification, ventilated seats are different from cooled seats? As in one has just a fan blowing upwards towards your arse and the other one is actually refrigerated? I remember my mother in laws Cadillac had "cooled" seats which would freeze my buns off if left on too long.
You are correct, the 2017 Continental does not have cooled seats. Just a motor that blows air as you describe. Here is the explanation:

Climate Controlled Seat Operation

The driver and passenger climate controlled seat buttons are selected from the FCIM and FDIM (touchscreen). The climate controlled seat system functions independently of the vehicle's climate control system.

Climate Controlled Seat Heating
  • The system control settings are indicated next to each climate controlled seat switch button on the touchscreen. The first setting is HIGH (3 indicators), the second setting is MED (2 indicators) and the third is LOW (1 indicator) then OFF (no indicators).
  • When activated, the SCME supplies voltage to the selected seat heater circuit. Each seat cushion heater mat and backrest heater mat is connected in a series circuit to the SCME and powered by the output circuit for that seat. The SCME monitors inputs from a temperature sensor located in each seat cushion heater mat, and maintains seat temperature by cycling the heater circuits on/off. The heated seat remains ON until the heated seat switch button is pressed to cycle the SCME OFF or the ignition is set to OFF.
Climate Controlled Seat Venting
  • The seat cushion and backrest are each equipped with a blower motor assembly. Each blower motor draws air through the surface of the cushion and backrest through the foam. Once the system is activated, the SCME controls the blower speed dependant on the climate controlled seat settings.
  • The system control settings are based on the 3 indicators next to each climate controlled seat switch button on the touchscreen. The first setting is HIGH (3 indicators), the second setting is MED (2 indicators) and the third is LOW (1 indicator) then OFF (no indicators).

RikerZ

Thank you everyone for your input!
So the seats are sucking rather than blowing air? Maybe I'm not reading it correctly?
This is my first time with ventilated seats. I made it such a point to get a Continental with that option only for it to be meh.
Cooled seats definitely froze my bum off too. I like to drive with cooled seats and the window down sometimes during the summer.
Oh well, 1st world problems ;)

BTW anyone from the Seattle - Lynnwood WA area? I've been seeing some Conti's in my "hood" - one white, one silver, and one black. It's still sort of a rare sight to see the Continental, but I'm glad there's people who still love big American sedans!

Jeyaar456

On the bottom ( ha ha ) setting I can feel the vented difference, even through the seat cover.
( Cream upholstery looks great but doesn’t look great for very long If you wear blue levis and a brown leather belt )

OmegaLincoln

On the bottom ( ha ha ) setting I can feel the vented difference, even through the seat cover.
( Cream upholstery looks great but doesn’t look great for very long If you wear blue levis and a brown leather belt )
I learned that lesson in my 2018 MKX as well. At first I thought I bought a set of cheap knockoffs jeans from Amazon. :)

Eboni2017

I finally tried the ventilated seats in the Continental and was quite disappointed. I set it on max and heard the sound of fans, but I didn't feel anything, at least not through my clothing(not thick material). Is my seat malfunctioning? I haven't tried the rest of the passenger seats.
What is your experience with the ventilated seats? I had cooled seats in my Lincoln LS and it was life-changing during the summertime :love:
Thanks!
They are the worse, have to be on quite a long time to eventually fill anything

Tseg

My prior car was a Mustang GT convertible with cooled seats. They were ok... kind of splotchy where they cooled, spots that were real cool and right next to it spots that did not seem cool at all. My wife was not a fan. Now I have the Continental with ventilated seats and here are my observations:
  • Generally, I hear the seats and do not feel the coolness
  • IF my back/backside is perspiring I can definitely feel a cooling effect
  • I recently took a 9 hour drive (each way) and the vent-seats really shine and keep me very comfortable temperature-wise for the duration
In summary, I would rather have them than not have them. Aligned with assumed characteristics of a luxury ride, you experience the difference subtly, without actually realizing there is a difference... but you would know if all of a sudden it were not there.

Corsart

My prior car was a Mustang GT convertible with cooled seats. They were ok... kind of splotchy where they cooled, spots that were real cool and right next to it spots that did not seem cool at all. My wife was not a fan. Now I have the Continental with ventilated seats and here are my observations:
  • Generally, I hear the seats and do not feel the coolness
  • IF my back/backside is perspiring I can definitely feel a cooling effect
  • I recently took a 9 hour drive (each way) and the vent-seats really shine and keep me very comfortable temperature-wise for the duration
In summary, I would rather have them than not have them. Aligned with assumed characteristics of a luxury ride, you experience the difference subtly, without actually realizing there is a difference... but you would know if all of a sudden it were not there.
Have both heated an cooled and couldn't live without them. The heat (in the Corsair, anyways) is adjustable to 3 levels, with level 3 being hydrocollator strength..,,,those deep muscle heating pads that bring instant relief and deep muscle relaxation. The cooled seats offer chilled air from your thighs to mid back, avoiding the dreaded sweat back, esp. on non cloth seats. I find them effective if not as enveloping as the heat.