Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

SlicLinc95

Sep 10, 2022
Texas
My Lincoln
1995 Town Car Signature Series Spinnaker Edition
Even though my Air suspension system is currently fine, I've decided to do away with it and sell the whole system while of course replacing it with coil springs. I have noticed there are more than a few vari v. const discussions all over the web but I wanted to see if anyone here has done this to specifically the 95-97 Town Car. I ask for those years because it seems like the previous years use different coil spring part numbers.

1) I can't find variable coils for the front of the car, can you only use constant in the front?
2) I bought the variable ones for the rear and constant for the front, will this look or feel strange?
3) I don't want the height to be uneven but I also want a soft ride

These are the ones I can find from Moog for the 95-97 Town car:
Moog 9114 - Front Constant (bought)
Moog 81479 - Rear Constant
Moog CC865 - Rear Variable (bought)
(font variable?)

any thoughts will be appreciated unless you are going to berate me for getting rid of a perfectly good Air suspension system, haha

Norms1stTC

Aug 12, 2020
Actually , I think you're making a well informed choice in my opinion. I also deleted my faulty air suspension system at 60k miles, moog fronts 81096 and SunCore HD in the rear with Monroe OE Spectrum shocks on all 4 corners, rides great and don't miss air suspension at all. If I had an older 1st or 2nd gen for a playtoy, I'd keep the air suspension, but this 2002 3rd gen is my daily driver and I like it without the air suspension just as much as I did with it. You won't be disappointed either way.

04TC

May 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
Either of variable, constant coils can be used in any application. They will both attach in exactly the same way and if they are available you can use either type.

I converted mine to coils at 110k miles when the air sus went out, using variable coils and I didn't notice any difference in ride quality compared to the original air suspension

wolf_walker

Dec 11, 2017
Ride quality between air/steel isn't so much a thing that I've been able to tell, it's the ability to level loads that goes away.
I'm sure there is a difference in ride between variable and fixed rate springs, but I couldn't say exactly what other than very generally.
I keep a lot of junk in my trunk and have a couple people in the back seat from time to time so I wouldn't want to give up the
load leveling myself, I suspect constant rate springs would deal with such better than variable that are likely softer for the first
part of their operating range. FWIW I put bags in mine in 2017 along with new valves and pump assembly and other than the (very cheap) pump going out after about two years it's been trouble free. I expect right about now (five years) is when I'd not be astounded if a bag gave up, or they could last another ten years. You never know with rubber, it's very environmental. The Arnott bags were $90 something a piece in 2017, looks like $120 each on amazon now, they do seem to have a lifetime warranty though.

SlicLinc95

Sep 10, 2022
Texas
My Lincoln
1995 Town Car Signature Series Spinnaker Edition
Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I feel confident now with my decision after readin' y'alls info.

All2kool

Jan 17, 2010
Portland, OR
I have noticed there are more than a few vari v. const discussions all over the web but I wanted to see if anyone here has done this to specifically the 95-97 Town Car.
I installed Variable Rate Coil Springs in my 1996 Cartier when it dropped to the ground. I never noticed a bit of difference in the ride quality. I once schlepped a friend to the airport with 300 pounds of luggage in the trunk and he and his wife in the back set (another 425lbs) and the ride was fine.

wolf_walker

Dec 11, 2017
Big cars will take weight well enough unless they bottom out and still ride fine. But the rear sags a bit depending on the load, screws with your headlamp alignment and handling/braking to a degree. I had 12 people in the trunk and rear seat of my 78 when I was a kid umpteen years ago. It was a bit saggy. I also had a complete 440 Chrysler engine in the trunk for a week once. Long story. Don't think I'd try either of those with the newer cars lol....

In Europe in the good old days, the nice cars (and even a lot of decidedly midrange ones) got either a load leveling system that was generally hydraulic (which lasts forever but costs a lot more effort and $ to fix 20 years down the road) or the headlamps had a height adjustment knob so you could aim them down from the drivers seat when you had a bunch of crap or people in the back. Europeans were on a whole light years (pun intended) ahead of domestics in headlamp performance so the lights they used that were much brighter and had a razor sharp upper cutoff line would blind people if the car was sagging a bit in the rear, hence the effort to make that not happen. Plus you could actually see at night even way back in the 70's. Precision and detail. Plus cars look silly with the rear dragging, two big grown men and luggage will sag a TC(or anything else), not a good image to cut at the airport drop-off line when you're running a business. I dislike it immensely myself.