• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Upgraded Interior Lighting

mark95man

IMG_1821.jpg I also hate iPhone photos! The one thing that I really HATE about the MKZ is the low level interior lighting. It took several weeks before I figured it out. I needed a switchable power source to match the current interior lighting. The factory lighting is via fiber optic cable, so where to get my power? So easy that I didn't see it---when you open the door, the word LINCOLN on the door sill is lit via LEDs.

I removed the panel and there was my power source. I purchased the same LED panels that I used in my Navigator for a no light issue: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321398307241?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. I installed one on each underside of the dash above the floor mats, tapping into the power wiring for the LEDs on the LINCOLN light. I pushed the wiring under the finish panels up to the underside of the dash.

NOTE: You'll need to extend the wiring on the panel for proper placement. Total time to install was well under one hour. Now when I open the doors, I have LIGHT! :)

Last edited:

mark95man

Follow up----working great with no known issues. :) :) :) 6/07/2014--Due to the plastic used on the dash, the double faced tape on the LED panel might not stick. In my case, to secure the LED panel I recommend some glue or silicone seal. I used clear Power Grab that sets in a few minutes as I had this left over from another project.

Last edited:

mark95man

maek95man, Now that is how interior lighting should look. Absolutely a very soothing look and feel,good job. You are true handyman! Jim
Hi Jim and thanks for your kind words! I was planning on installing the 4 note horns from a Cadillac but must wait until my knees are replaced. I've been using those horns on all of our cars for decades. Thanks again, Bob

mark95man

I have spoken to Lincoln and they called back with their additional offer on the reduced EPA MPG. They will NOT accept the return of the car---already guessed that. In addition to the $1,050 payment, they offered a longer free basic maintenance including brakes, windshield wipers, oil changes, tire rotation and air filters. Since my dealership installed locking lug nuts that were not tightened as per the specifications, they will not touch this car. If I get wrapped rotors, they'll blame me! The dealer ship charges $70 for full synthetic oil, so NO to that--I'll change my own oil! They also offer a one payment refund if the car was financed for 5 years--car is paid for. Just not worth it as I have two other actions going. This will be my last FoMoCo car purchased by my family. I purchased my first new car in 1969--a 1970 Lincoln MARK III, then ten more new FoMoCo vehicles. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me!

HTML