Lincoln Forums Navigation:

Unable to replace Takata Air Bag

Finally got the notice to contact my dealership for replacement of the Passenger side Takata air bag on my 2008 MKZ. Took the car in yesterday and they could not remove the interior trim without breaking it due to bolt problems. So the air bag was not replaced. IAW Lincoln, they no longer manufacturer the trim and not sure when one would come available. Evidently this is not a new problem. Has this happened to anyone else and is there a solution. Thanks.

WAY too long for sure ! Since you have a 2008 MKZ, has the covering on top of the dash, around the defroster vent, loosened & lifted ? Mine has lifted to the point that the plastic defroster vent cracked, and popped out - broke in three pieces. Worse yet it no longer effectively directs air to the windshield ! The dealer said replacement of the dash is the solution, but agreed to TRY to glue & screw the covering down and replace the vent, at my expense with NO guarantees. (Only have 40,300 miles on the car !!!)

No, even though I have way more mileage on my MKZ (119,100 miles), I have not experienced that problem. One on going problem I have is that the two front tires slowly looses air. I have to fill up the tires with air about every 10 days due to the alloy wheels being slightly bent. With the age and mileage of the car, I do not want to repair or replace the wheels for $700 if bought new. Other then that, it has been a good car.

Hope all goes well with your air bag appointment tomorrow. Hopefully you won't experience the same problem as me.

No, even though I have way more mileage on my MKZ (119,100 miles), I have not experienced that problem. One on going problem I have is that the two front tires slowly looses air. I have to fill up the tires with air about every 10 days due to the alloy wheels being slightly bent. With the age and mileage of the car, I do not want to repair or replace the wheels for $700 if bought new. Other then that, it has been a good car.

Hope all goes well with your air bag appointment tomorrow. Hopefully you won't experience the same problem as me.[/QUO

Hope all goes well with your air bag appointment tomorrow. Hopefully you won't experience the same problem as me.
Went to Dealer today and air bag was not installed -- they said a part had to be ordered to match the VIN# to the interior color......I had taken a copy of your problem with me and showed it to them as I pointed to the trim on my car over the glove box. They said that was not "it" and they had replaced others and not had any issues like yours. They said they should have the part they need and ready to do the work within the next couple of weeks. Doesn't make any sense to me but guess I'll have to wait and see.

Went to dealer's today...air bag couldn't be installed. They said a part had to be ordered to match the VIN# to the interior color. I had copied your problem and asked if that was what they were referring to. They said it wasn't and they had replaced others and not had any "bolt issues" like that. They said they should have the part within the next couple of weeks. I specifically pointed to the trim over the glove box and asked if that was what was needed and they said not. Doesn't make any sense what else would need a color match.
(They did fix the dash problem, for now anyway. They did not use glue, but flattened the dash covering down with (5) screws and put the new vent in...the screws blend in and its totally flat & normal looking....Will it last ? They seem to think it will, but I had my doubts after I asked if the screws went into metal and was told they went into plastic......)
Will let you know when, or if, there's any success with the air bag installation whenever that happens.

Called the dealer to see if the part they said they had to order two weeks ago to match the car's VIN# arrived for the 2008 MKZ - recalled air bag & told it was there. After making a 30 mile (one way), was told they did NOT have the "igniter" !

(BTW-- the defroster vent started to lift again, however there had been no guarantee that it would work. Worse yet, now the dash covering all along the edge next to the windshield has started to lift and peel forward !) Looks like only two alternatives: Have a $2000+ dash installed, or get rid of the car, at a substantial loss ! Thanks, Ford/Lincoln !

Went ahead and gave the dealership permission to break the trim to replace the air bag. We were prepared for the worst when we picked up the car but were presently surprised. Even though they had to break the trim the technicians were able to re-install the broken trim in an acceptable manner. Attached before and after pictures.

Attachments

Looks good ! Glad yours is finally fixed. ( My car has the same color interior and color trim piece.) Oddly enough, so far the dealership has denied that the trim piece is my problem, even though I had shown them your initial post. Guess I'll have to wait & see what happens next ! Although, given the dash problem, I may just have to get rid of the car before winter unless a regular body shop can offer a reasonable way to fix it.

If you do have the dash removed or replaced, make sure that you have the ambient air temperature sensor replaced as well. That sensor provides your HVAC system inside air temp to cool or heat (potential cause of A/C issues) and if it goes bad, only way to get to it is again, take out the whole front dash. Around a $20 part.

Many THANKS ! Still waiting to hear if the dealership has received the "igniter"...time to call them AGAIN ! Getting very tired of the excuses and delays ! Can't help but feel something "funny" going on and about to call them on it !

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML