Two questions....manual no help

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
My 2013 MKS has the "Elite" package, which should have every option available from what I understand. So, rain sensing wipers, I don't think I have them and was wondering if anyone else that does have them, does the wiper stalk look like this or is it actually different if equipped with rain sensing wipers? The pictures in the manual show the exact same stalk for normal and rain sensing. I have tested them in the rain and all I have is adjustable time intervals like normal wipers.

Wipers.jpg

Next question, cabin air filter. Manual says to see a dealer for replacement. Can't be that technically difficult can it? Anyone replaced theirs yet?

Filter.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

bbf2530

Hi jkeaton. In my 2018 MKZ, the Interval Wiper option must be chosen in the Driver Information Center, and then the wiper stalk must be set one click up, to the Interval wiper setting to enable the Rain Sensing feature. And when the Rain Sensing feature is enabled, interval wipers are disabled.

Not sure if that is the case for your MKS. Hope that makes sense.

Concerning the cabin air filter: Here is a video tutorial showing how to change he cabin air filer in a 2011 MKS. Hopefully the process is the same for the 2013's:

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
Yes, it is enabled in the driver info center. I was trying it the other day when it was raining, first position did nothing. Not a huge deal tough. TY.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
I can confirm that the cabin air filter is behind the glove box, although my '13 doesn't have "stoppers" as shown in the video. Mine has a latch (for lack of a better word) on each side that have to be depressed to let the glove box door drop completely down.
My "multi-function stalk" looks the same as yours. I just have to turn it up to the first detent for the rain sensing wipers to work. Sometimes, they seem to hesitate; if there's too much rain on the windshield, I turn it up to the second detent momentarily.

Rongold

If rain sensing is chosen in the driver's info menu, then test it by pouring a cup of water on the windshield just behind the rear view mirror. That's where the rain sensor is. Even better---stand in front of the car, and "fling" the water right behind the rear view mirror. The car has both types of wipers---delay and rain sensing---you pick which one you want in the menu---The stalk is the same. Let us know what happens when you "fling" the water onto the windshield.

Rongold

Have confirmed they do work. That first indent for rain sensing is hard to feel. I was going past it to intermittent. :LOL:

If you select "rain sensing" in the menu, then rain sensing is the mode, regardless of the position of the switch. When in delay mode, the farther you advance the switch, the shorter the delay intervals. When in rain sensing mode, the farther you advance the switch, the more sensitive the rain sensing gets. In fact, if you have the switch past the 2nd or 3rd click, the wipers will actually switch to high speed if the rain gets heavy enough. It's one mode or the other, selected in the menu, not a combo of both modes.

RON

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
Right. But there is an "off" position on the stalk regardless of the menu settings (for carwashes). So, the first detent from "off" is rain sensing. Second detent, slowest intermittent setting. At least that's how it is working on mine.

Rongold

No, the first click is "not no sensitive" rain sensing. As you click further the system gets "more sensitive" to the rain falling onto the windshield. As an example, on the first click, the sensor may have to see 15 drops of water to start the wipers. As you advance to the next detent, the system may only have to see 12 drops---And so on & so on. That's the way mine works on both of my MKS's.

RON

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
No, the first click is "not no sensitive" rain sensing. As you click further the system gets "more sensitive" to the rain falling onto the windshield. As an example, on the first click, the sensor may have to see 15 drops of water to start the wipers. As you advance to the next detent, the system may only have to see 12 drops---And so on & so on. That's the way mine works on both of my MKS's.

RON
OK, thanks.

rayann84

My 2013 MKS has the "Elite" package, which should have every option available from what I understand. So, rain sensing wipers, I don't think I have them and was wondering if anyone else that does have them, does the wiper stalk look like this or is it actually different if equipped with rain sensing wipers? The pictures in the manual show the exact same stalk for normal and rain sensing. I have tested them in the rain and all I have is adjustable time intervals like normal wipers.

View attachment 10899

Next question, cabin air filter. Manual says to see a dealer for replacement. Can't be that technically difficult can it? Anyone replaced theirs yet?

View attachment 10900
I have base e and wipers automatically speed up when rains heavy. I think it might be standard..