Turn Signal Issues

WildBill

The other day I went to start my 2011 MKX and it would not start as if the battery was dead. At the time I was not able to deal with the car so I just left it as it was. The next day I tried again and it started without any problem and everything was working fine. Later that same day my right signal light began blinking rapidly. I knew right away that means the bulb was burnt out. I confirmed this was the case, by testing the continuity with my multimeter. One side was fine the other side showed no connection telling me one side of the bulb was burnt out. From experience I know how difficult it is to change these bulbs so I replaced the incandescent bulb with an LED bulb with a lifetime warranty. I tested the lights in my garage and verified all the signal lights were working but the same right signal light was still blinking rapidly. I understand the turn signal switch takes into account the load on the bulb to determine if the bulb is about to burn out and will begin blinking rapidly if the load drops. Knowing the LED bulb draws less energy to run which may well confuse the turn signal switch to continue blinking rapidly on the right side while all the lights are working??? This is speculation, so I don't know if this LED bulb is causing the problem or if my turn signal switch needs to be replaced. Possibly there might be a bigger problem relating back to the day the car would not start as if the battery was dead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

WildBill

UPDATE
I've learned that my assumption was correct. When you switch over to an LED bulb you need to install a load equalizer (resistor). I was not able to nail down an exact part number but the load equalizer needs to be 26 Watt x 6 Ohms.

Mmicker

What lights are you using? I have been thinking about going to LED for awhile as I have a burnt out turn signal at least every 6-9 months.

jessepatty

Florida
I ran into this with my Super Duty when I switched all my exterior bulbs to LED's. I don't like the load resistors because they get extremely hot so I opted to turn off "Bulb out" indication with Forscan. The truck now ignores the lower resistance from the LEDs so the signals flash normally.

Last edited:

HTML