Lincoln Forums Navigation:
  • We've set up for the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules - and all viewers will need to agree to the privacy policy and terms of use. Everyone is probably used to this by now - but I thought I'd let you know in advance... Close this box by clicking the X at the right...

Trunk lock not working

herromc

Thread starter #1
This is my first day here on "lincolnforums.com". I'm sure I'll be posting more in the future, so I'd appreciate any help. I just purchased a 1991 Lincoln Town Car Executive, and the key for the trunk lock doesn't turn. Is it possible to remove the trunk lock cylinder and take it to a Locksmith, to get it working? Thanking you in advance for any help.

Mike

All2kool

Portland, OR
I would venture a guess that at some point in the life of your car, the trunk lock was absent and has since be replaced with another. Does the Trunk key you have work in the Glove Box? I cannot remember if the Trunk Key was for the Trunk only or for the the Glove Box and Valet lock. If it works there and not the Trunk, then my first sentence seems accurate.

A locksmith can certainly make you a key for a functioning lock.

herromc

Thread starter #4
Well, went out to check if the trunk key worked in the glove box, but to my surprise, there is no lock cylinder, it's missing. So back to my original question, is the trunk lock mechanism removable so I can take it to a locksmith, and have a key made for it?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum.

I have not been able to confirm a valet key on the 1991 model like on the later models.

Have you looked in the glove box for two switches, one operates the fuel door and the other the trunk lid. Do you have the door keypad? if you know the factory code then enter it and within 5 seconds press the 5/6 key to open the trunk. If you have the door keypad but not the factory code (often attached to the trunk hinge) then remove the driver door panel and look for the Driver Door Module (DDM) mounted near the hinge side of door. The factory 5 digit numeric code is often written on a label attached to the DDM .

If none of that works then it is possible a lincoln dealer can cut you a key based upon your VIN. If that does not work then a locksmith will be able to open the trunk without doing any damage.

Attached is the procedure to replace the lock cylinder and other components dealing with the trunk locking system. It is for a 1992 model but that should be the same as the 1991 model.

Good luck.

Attachments

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML