Trunk closure problem

Scooper7

So I've tried most of the fixes on this forum to get my 2010 Town Car trunk to close properly. I unplugged the bottom patch motor and manually lowered the latch ring so the trunk closes tight. And I'm good with using the key to open the trunk. I just want to clear the dash warning light. Is there a way to jump wire the plug so the system thinks the trunk is closed all the time?

M1Greg

I had an issue with the pull down motor in my 2004 not working. The latch assembly has two micro switches that tell the DDM if the trunk (latch ) is in the up or down position. This does a couple of things. The DDM then signals the Lighting module to turn on/off the trunk lights and it also sends a signal to the the instrument cluster to alert trunk ajar. I managed to replace a damaged diode in the pull down module to get my motor working so I now have lights and soft close feature. I would check the operation of the micro switches on the pull down motor to see if they work as intended. You can remove the switches from the mechanism and using and ohm meter check function or using a separate 12v source operate the latch pull down motor to both full up and full down positions while checking for continuity of both switches. One switch is closed in the up position while the other is open and vice versa.

Scooper7

Thanks M1Greg for the info. At this point I just wanted a simple fix to get rid of the dash "door open" message that I have to clear every time I start the car. Is there a way to do this?

M1Greg

Scooper7, if the striker is fully down then the one switch should be closed and the " Trunk Ajar" message should disappear. I would verify the latch is fully down first.
On my 2004 the switch that signals the message is a Violet / Orange wire and it should be shorted to ground. Not sure if it's the same on your year.

I would try looking for the connector on the pull down motor with the VT/OG and VT/WH wires, disconnect it from the latch and short the VT/OG wire to ground to see If that turns your light off.

Scooper7

Scooper7, if the striker is fully down then the one switch should be closed and the " Trunk Ajar" message should disappear. I would verify the latch is fully down first.
On my 2004 the switch that signals the message is a Violet / Orange wire and it should be shorted to ground. Not sure if it's the same on your year.

I would try looking for the connector on the pull down motor with the VT/OG and VT/WH wires, disconnect it from the latch and short the VT/OG wire to ground to see If that turns your light off.
Right now I have the power latch motor unplugged because after I manually lowered the latch the first time I plugged it back in and it went back up. So I unplugged it again, took it apart again and manually lowered it and left it that way. I will look at what you told me. Thanks for the help.