Transmission

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Jaskim06

Thank you. I’m getting a diagnostic test on it tomorrow. Hope you’re right about fluid change.
Alot of times higher mile cars need service a lil early and regular. I check local ads for autos that won't run or shift. 90% of time I can fix it and sell for a profit. In my case I fix alot of solenoid issues. They go bad often than trans blow up. Good luck. Hope its easy and cheap! How I like my women!! 😆

Vladimir2112

It is such an old shade tree mechanic fable that a transmission oil change fixes a transmission. Just put a little thought into that. Honestly I hope you start that car tomorrow and it runs and you never see that problem again. But changing fluid on something damaged or malfunctioning does not reverse it. No certified mechanic would ever pull your leg like that. Just mention it to your transmission guy that you were hoping a fluid change would fix it and see his reaction. Sorry about the bad news hopefully it's not something too expensive. It could very well be a solenoid or something.

Jaskim06

It is such an old shade tree mechanic fable that a transmission oil change fixes a transmission. Just put a little thought into that. Honestly I hope you start that car tomorrow and it runs and you never see that problem again. But changing fluid on something damaged or malfunctioning does not reverse it. No certified mechanic would ever pull your leg like that. Just mention it to your transmission guy that you were hoping a fluid change would fix it and see his reaction. Sorry about the bad news hopefully it's not something too expensive. It could very well be a solenoid or something.
Prolly is. It's not getting signal or it's just bad. It's not a fable it's a fact. Reason why, alot of ppl don't change the fluid and filter ever!! I've asked when did you change filter and fluid? Well manual says it lasts the lifetime of the car. Lmfao. Really? No they don't. And yes not all say this but alot of them do. VW comes to mind. So I pull the pan and the magnet is 3 times as big from crap and sludge and the filter is so blocked off and bad it's no wonder cars not doing good. Service them around 45k. If you buy a car unless you have the receipts and documents telling you service history, change it with good filter and fluid. Another thing I see alot. Don't use cheap fluids for your engine or trans. Thats the heart and brain of your car. Good filters and fluids don't cost as much as new engines and trans. And no you don't need synthetic. Ppl act like you buy that and never need service. No. That's not the case. I've fixed alot more 'bad' transmissions with good fluid, filter and flush than buying trans and replacing. Ppl just don't do the work and maintain their cars either by doing it themselves or paying for it. Trans are built to slip more to give easier shifts but this wears the clutch bands out more than a harsher shift. Jmod. Easy, simple ball bearing and drilling a bigger hole and your trans will shift like it should and you'll be alot happier when the pedal is down!!

Jaskim06

If I was shift valve or anything electrical would I get an error code?
Not necessarily. It's 50/50. Depends on if the fault is major or minor. Since they put electronics in trannys it makes it more difficult!! You never did tell me when it was serviced last and how many miles. This is why I'm saying service. Of course Vladimir2112 if it's mechanical or electric no don't just service it. I thought we all had common sense here. You don't change the oil when a rods hanging out the side of the block and expect it to run smooth either. But thought we all knew this. Start simple and then peel layers like an onion. Hope its simple. Never know until you do.

Jaskim06

Service was at 90,000. Got 94,000 now. Another thing the last time I drove it, was a clunk! Not loud, but I heard it. Still went into overdrive. Have an appointment on Friday. Wish me luck.🙏🙏
These trannys have powered lock up. Might be an issue there. Well it should be fine as far as service issue. Trans are picky. I've flushed some and it didn't help, other times it did. I've only rebuilt about 20 or so in my lifetime. They're very challenging. I'd rather rebuild an engine or standard trans on the interstate than tear into a automatic especially these newer 8-10 speed automatics. Could be any number of small or big issues. Everything is controlled by the electronics, solenoids, etc. Those do go bad. But at 94k that's not alot of miles in my opinion. My 99 has 253k and shifts great! I hope its something easy to fix. Let us know what they say. There's alot of good shops out there that won't just try to sell you a rebuilt, new or used transmission.

Babyburr

Well, after my car was with the transmission service, of course, it worked perfectly for them. Could not find anything wrong. Shifted smoothly and went into overdrive without incident. Ha Ha. I knew that would happen. One of the technicians said it could have been a small particle of debris that was in the line and then got blown out of the way. I don’t know! So, I guess I’ll keep on driving her. Working just fine. 😳😳🤪

04TC

Tampa, FL
What say you on transmission flushing? I’ve heard that it could be bad for the tranny.
Drain and fill is much less likely to cause problems than flushing. If the car has a lot of miles, don't flush just drain and fill. If the car has high mileage and the trans fluid hasn't been changed regularly, I can almost guarantee you that a flush will cause the transmission to start slipping and fail soon after. Drain and fill, and change the filter. Is good maintenance.

Babyburr

Drain and fill is much less likely to cause problems than flushing. If the car has a lot of miles, don't flush just drain and fill. If the car has high mileage and the trans fluid hasn't been changed regularly, I can almost guarantee you that a flush will cause the transmission to start slipping and fail soon after. Drain and fill, and change the filter. Is good maintenance.
Thank you, sir. That’s what I have heard. I’m just dropping pan, replace filter and fluid.

wolf_walker

If you've the patience you can stick the cooler line outlet in an empty bucket and the inlet in a fresh fluid bucket and run it till it's "flushed" out without
the detergents or pressures and such used in commercial equipment. The later cars don't have a drain on the torque converter so there's always a lot of old fluid left with just a drain and fill, even with the filter removed. I'm not positive if all the fluid goes through that cooler all the time or not, someone else probably knows.

Jaskim06

If you've the patience you can stick the cooler line outlet in an empty bucket and the inlet in a fresh fluid bucket and run it till it's "flushed" out without
the detergents or pressures and such used in commercial equipment. The later cars don't have a drain on the torque converter so there's always a lot of old fluid left with just a drain and fill, even with the filter removed. I'm not positive if all the fluid goes through that cooler all the time or not, someone else probably knows.
I usually pour in new fluid during this process and when I see new fluid going into bucket I give it a few seconds then stop. That's what I meant by flush. Idk the process at a dealership or a trans service shop. I've heard that after going to one of those it either 1 fixes the issue and is great or don't and it's worse. I do it the redneck way of using the vehicle as the pump. I also put in some friction modifier also on higher mileage autos. A lil bit always stays in converter on some cars, some even have a drain plug on converter so you remove the lil cover that goes over the front of the trans and block and guarantee that you get it all out. Flushing like this gets about 95% of old fluid out. My belief is that as long as you keep up on service don't have any obvious problems and you don't have a pan full of sparkles on the magnet you'll be fine just to change it and be done.

Vladimir2112

Well the factory advised pan drop.But spend the extra money to replace the pan with a new plug style. As long as your fluid is red and opaque. Has no burnt smell which it will not if it's that color. There's no need to swap every ounce of your fluid out. The transmission specs are far and wide when it comes to needing changed. It's simply isn't necessary to dump fluid for no reason all the time unless it makes you feel better. Do a pan drop get a new pan you could always take fluid out whenever you want. Some of these pans even have a magnetic plug.