Transmission Fluid Leak, common fail points?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
Hey there everyone,

So I had an issue last summer with my car leaking transmission fluid, I identified the issue as a failed condenser, I replaced the condenser over the summer but these last few months I have noticed that it is leaking again. I checked the condenser where the transmission fluid lines connect and there doesn't appear to be any leaks there (no residue or corrosion). What are some other places I should check. This is for an 07' TC btw. Also, can I put dye in my fluid and try and chase it down that way?

Thanks in advance.

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
I should clarify that the seal on my 2004 that failed was at the transmission, so maybe Output Shaft Seal is more accurate.

If yours is dripping from there, it can spread fluid all over the transmission tunnel. It's a $7 part.
Thanks, I have an appointment on the 19th to have it checked out. Fingers crossed it's a minor fix...

And this might make sense as I have not noticed any fluid really leaking out from under the vehicle.

Bob-Lo

I've had the output shaft seal replaced on my 01 TC twice already, and they were leaking but now it turns out there is a leak coming from the transmission pan gasket now.
Unfortunately , I neglected to do the last scheduled transmission fluid flush which the previous owners had done so about every 50k mi or so. Currently the fluid has been in the transmission for 70k miles or so ( fluid replacement done in 2009 btw ), I'm wondering what are the chances of ruining the transmission if I have the fluid replaced and gasket replaced due to the fact that I'm 30k mi over the recommended mileage for that particular service?
Also would like to get the differential fluid replaced as well but the person I talked with said both transmission and differential fluids should be changed at same time etc.

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
Lmao sometimes issues are shy!! Mine mostly leaked when driving but parked shut off no drips.
I think that's what it's going on here. I don't see drips on the ground but I definitely needed to add fluid after I felt a slip while driving. I'm done putting any money in to this car though so that will have to be the next owners problem 😂

04TC

Tampa, FL
I've had the output shaft seal replaced on my 01 TC twice already, and they were leaking but now it turns out there is a leak coming from the transmission pan gasket now.
Unfortunately , I neglected to do the last scheduled transmission fluid flush which the previous owners had done so about every 50k mi or so. Currently the fluid has been in the transmission for 70k miles or so ( fluid replacement done in 2009 btw ), I'm wondering what are the chances of ruining the transmission if I have the fluid replaced and gasket replaced due to the fact that I'm 30k mi over the recommended mileage for that particular service?
Also would like to get the differential fluid replaced as well but the person I talked with said both transmission and differential fluids should be changed at same time etc.
Flush not a good idea, drain and fill with filter replace much better especially if the car has high mileage or hasn't been changed in 12 years like yours. You can repeat the drain/fill over time and eventually it will have most of the fluid changed, but in a less drastic way than a flush. Also save the old fluid in case the transmission immediately starts giving you problems after the drain/fill. Then drain/fill again and replace with the old fluid but now you have a new filter.

Differential in a RWD car like the Towncar has nothing to do with the transmission. Don't need to change both fluids at the same time. If the differential fluid hasn't been changed on schedule, the sooner you change it the better. All new fluid for the rear diff is extremely unlikely to cause problems or make things worse (rear diff is just splash lubrication). If you have a mechanic do the differential fluid, make sure they clean the inside before putting it back together and putting the new fluid in. If you will be doing that service yourself, after you open it up and remove the gasket you will need to replace it with a new gasket or sealer because they are one-time-use for the differential. And make sure the correct fluid is put in based on the type of rear diff (open vs. limited slip).

wolf_walker

Do we know what fluid is leaking for sure?
Buy a floor jack and a pair of jack stands and crawl up
under there and have a look around. Do it on level ground.
Lots of places for stuff to leak, most of them are cheap to fix.