Transmission cooler

04TC

Tampa, FL
Hello, I live in Florida and am looking to install a transmission cooler in my Signature, it's a 2004 (Even today it was 85+ degrees out and its middle of winter). I am wondering if anyone else has done the same, and what brands are recommended? I have shopped around online and am looking at:
B&M brand, specifically 70268 SuperCooler or 70266 SuperCooler
Hayden brand, specifically 677 RapidCool or 678 RapidCool.

However, Amazon isn't clear on the compatibility of some of these with my vehicle, and is know to sometimes make mistakes with their compatibility tool. Has anyone had any of these installed in their '03-'11 Town Car, or have suggestions for any particular make or model of cooler. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays :)

04TC

Tampa, FL
Hello, I live in Florida and am looking to install a transmission cooler in my Signature, it's a 2004 (Even today it was 85+ degrees out and its middle of winter). I am wondering if anyone else has done the same, and what brands are recommended? I have shopped around online and am looking at:
B&M brand, specifically 70268 SuperCooler or 70266 SuperCooler
Hayden brand, specifically 677 RapidCool or 678 RapidCool.

However, Amazon isn't clear on the compatibility of some of these with my vehicle, and is know to sometimes make mistakes with their compatibility tool. Has anyone had any of these installed in their '03-'11 Town Car, or have suggestions for any particular make or model of cooler. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays :)

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Your car already has a trans oil cooler that is oil to air design rather than typical oil to water system and is thermostatically controlled. Attached are the details for a 2007 model. The thermostat is mounted near the rad external to the trans. The trans oil should not be too cool so the trans cooler thermostat closes off the cooler to oil coming from the trans and re-routes it back to the trans. When the trans oil exceeds the preset temperature it diverts the flow through the cooler. You should likely confirm that your system is the same as the 2007 model since the trans cooler is integral with the A/C condenser making a larger replacement not so easy.

The stock trans cooler probably has the capacity to handle 85 F ambient temperatures and much higher with ease. Towing is usually the main reason to increase trans cooling capacity not ambient temp.

Attachments

04TC

Tampa, FL
Your car already has a trans oil cooler that is oil to air design rather than typical oil to water system and is thermostatically controlled. Attached are the details for a 2007 model. The thermostat is mounted near the rad external to the trans. The trans oil should not be too cool so the trans cooler thermostat closes off the cooler to oil coming from the trans and re-routes it back to the trans. When the trans oil exceeds the preset temperature it diverts the flow through the cooler. You should likely confirm that your system is the same as the 2007 model since the trans cooler is integral with the A/C condenser making a larger replacement not so easy.

The stock trans cooler probably has the capacity to handle 85 F ambient temperatures and much higher with ease. Towing is usually the main reason to increase trans cooling capacity not ambient temp.
I was planning to install it in line with the stock one instead of replacing, as additional cooling to increase longevity of the transmission. (Trans temps being too high is usually what causes transmission failure.) Isn't it better to install an auxilary cooler in line?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Yes I think transmission temperatures that are too high will damage the transmission. But the cooling capacity of the stock system is way higher than required. So if you tow with your Town Car then you need extra cooling for the trans. Also, if you drive your car particularly hard all the time and enter competitions then you may need extra cooling.

Your trans cooling system also protects the trans when it is cold. So if you add a cooler in the line from the trans to the cooler thermostat or the return line from the thermostat to the trans you will get over-cooled oil most all the time which is also damaging for your trans. So to get the temperature within the factory spec you need to add a cooler after the thermostat on inlet side of existing cooler or before the thermostat on the outlet side of existing cooler.

Your car has a transmission temperature sensor that will probably flash a warning (or set a DTC) if the temp is too high. So if you have never seen the warning you are probably OK. The other approach is to get a scan gauge 2 or similar that will plug into your OBD2 port and give you a digital readout of many engine/trans functions, including transmission oil temp and engine oil temp if you want since they are usually linked. That will tell you if you actually need additional cooling.

Good luck.

04TC

Tampa, FL
The other approach is to get a scan gauge 2 or similar that will plug into your OBD2 port and give you a digital readout of many engine/trans functions, including transmission oil temp and engine oil temp if you want since they are usually linked. That will tell you if you actually need additional cooling.

Good luck.
Are you confident that the Town Car gives transmission temp output via obdii? I was actually thinking of purchasing one of those but i wasn't sure if transmission temp is output in the Town Car unless you have installed a sensor specifically for that purpose.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Are you confident that the Town Car gives transmission temp output via obdii? I was actually thinking of purchasing one of those but i wasn't sure if transmission temp is output in the Town Car unless you have installed a sensor specifically for that purpose.
Yes I am, it is important sensor for cold engine/trans operation to limit functionality until trans oil temp is safe for full operation. And to identify and act on over temp trans oil. Attached document describes its use at the end of doc.

Attachments

04TC

Tampa, FL
Yes I am, it is important sensor for cold engine/trans operation to limit functionality until trans oil temp is safe for full operation. And to identify and act on over temp trans oil. Attached document describes its use at the end of doc.
Thanks for the info, Town. I will then get one of those obdii tools as they are fairly cheap.

04TC

Tampa, FL
You mentioned a scan gauge.
Has anyone used the Torque App for android with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter?
I have one but couldn't find the transmission temperature for my town car.
FWIW, I have been using (on an iphone phone) the DashCommand app by Palmer; there is an Android version as well. The obdii tool i bought is a wifi version but bluetooth ones should work with the app as well. The app is $10 and the ford specific gauges (including trans temp) are $10 more. However, there seems to be a compatibility issue with the trans temp display, at least on my car. Reads trans temp fine, but the obdii tool will shut off usually after around 20 minutes of driving and have to be removed from the port and reinserted to begin working again, sometimes lasts longer but sometimes less. When I use one of the default gauge clusters, this problem does not happen and the tool stays on. But I had bought it for the trans temp gauge :/ Still very useful and the displays are quite customizable.

wolf_walker

Forscan will show trans temp as well, it's what I use to check if my trans temp is proper for checking the fluid level.
Once you can find that, you can monitor the trans temp to see if it's getting too hot, I imagine it'll be not as hot as
you expect unless you are towing or climbing mountains or such.

I downloaded the windows version of Forscan and it worked well with my laptop and usb OBDPro scan tool. The windows version is free.
It showed a lot of info, including transmission temp.

I couldn't get the Android app or laptop to work with my bluetooth scan tool though.
I might have been doing something wrong. I'll try another Bluetooth scan tool and see what happens.

thanks for the info.

wolf_walker

They have a list somewhere on their site of tested bluetooth adaptors, note none of them are approved for flashing modules.
I have an overpriced ScanTool OBDLink MX that works well fwiw. I have access to everything BUT the backup sensor module with it
and forscan.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML