Trailer Brake Controller

lr23driver

I just bought a 2021 Aviator and so far so good. It has the Class IV trailer towing package which includes the hitch and lights connectors, both 4 & 7 wire, but I don't seem to have a trailer brake controller and I don't see any place where an OEM controller might go. Am I stuck with going with an aftermarket controller and if so does Ford (Lincoln) sell a wire & connector kit for an aftermarket controller ? On my 2015 Yukon that I traded in for my Aviator there was socket on the inside fuse block that was made for wire harness that was supplied with the Yukon from the factory. Does Ford do the same thing and I just didn't one or do I have to buy one from the dealer ?
Thanks

Ken

RAINEY

What are you trying to pull with your Aviator that you need a brake controller? Someone posted on this forum or the other one and wa trying to pull way to large of a travel trailer for the vehicle.

lr23driver

I don't have any plans right now to pull any trailer over 3000 lbs which would require a brake controller. I have a F350 diesel for the heavy pulling but my Aviator has the trailer tow package and I would feel more comfortable with a brake controller no matter what size trailer ( within limits) that I might pull.
Ken

RAINEY

Typically the smaller trailers don't have the kind of brakes that a controller operates. Some small utility trailer have mostly worthless surge brakes. Some of the light duty trailers that do have brakes are activated purely by the brake light engaging and the brakes put a predetemines about of force down. Not usually much but a little helper. I'm like you. Anything that actually would require brakes, I'm using the F-350.

masterdrago

Our 5,000# boat trailer had surge brakes and they worked perfectly. They did on sometimes a yearly basis need slight adjustment which was part of the annual maintenance procedure.

vgir

I just bought a 2021 Aviator and so far so good. It has the Class IV trailer towing package which includes the hitch and lights connectors, both 4 & 7 wire, but I don't seem to have a trailer brake controller and I don't see any place where an OEM controller might go. Am I stuck with going with an aftermarket controller and if so does Ford (Lincoln) sell a wire & connector kit for an aftermarket controller ? On my 2015 Yukon that I traded in for my Aviator there was socket on the inside fuse block that was made for wire harness that was supplied with the Yukon from the factory. Does Ford do the same thing and I just didn't one or do I have to buy one from the dealer ?
Thanks

Ken
Hi Ken, I am in the identical situation, 2012 Aviator (factory tow package), and I need to add an electric brake controller. I have a Tekonsha P3 proportional controller that I have used for about 5 years in my previous vehicle (Ford Explorer). I am taking it to the dealership on Monday to see if it will work. After talking to the Dealership, I do believe you will have to use an aftermarket solution, as they cannot find any parts, and there is no place set aside on the dash (as you would have in the Navigator). Perhaps Lincoln should pay a bit more attention to this situation, as one of the reasons I bought this car is because it has a high tow capacity in a Mid-Sized SUV.

Have you found a solution? I can let you know how I do after Monday.

Richard K

Hi Ken, I am in the identical situation, 2012 Aviator (factory tow package), and I need to add an electric brake controller. I have a Tekonsha P3 proportional controller that I have used for about 5 years in my previous vehicle (Ford Explorer). I am taking it to the dealership on Monday to see if it will work. After talking to the Dealership, I do believe you will have to use an aftermarket solution, as they cannot find any parts, and there is no place set aside on the dash (as you would have in the Navigator). Perhaps Lincoln should pay a bit more attention to this situation, as one of the reasons I bought this car is because it has a high tow capacity in a Mid-Sized SUV.

Have you found a solution? I can let you know how I do after Monday.
@vgir Did your dealer service guy install your Tekonsha P3? I am in exactly the same situation as you are.

Doug

I expect that there is a way to easily hook the P3 into a port behind the dash.
The issue is trying to figure out where to mount the actual controller under the dashboard.
I'm trying to source the cable, will let you know.

2020Aviator

vgir

@vgir Did your dealer service guy install your Tekonsha P3? I am in exactly the same situation as you are.
No, they could not find the connector under the dash. They seemed to know what they were doing. I searched the fit guide on the Teknosha site. They did not have a choice for Lincoln, only Ford. But when I searched on a 2021 Ford Explorer, they listed the following warning:

Warning Please Read
No Plug and Play brake control harness available for this vehicle. Must be hardwired. To ensure you locate the proper vehicle wiring for stoplight, contact your local authorized dealer or vehicle’s manufacturer.

I decided to go with the Curt wireless brake controller. My trailer is pretty small, and I never had to change the brake controller settings, while towing, on my old tow vehicle (2014 Explorer). So, since the Curt controller keeps the setting if it loses the bluetooth, I thought I would try it. But I do understand you cannot use your flashers with this solution.

Hope this helps. And please let me know if your find anything different.

vgir

I expect that there is a way to easily hook the P3 into a port behind the dash.
The issue is trying to figure out where to mount the actual controller under the dashboard.
I'm trying to source the cable, will let you know.

2020Aviator
Hi Doug, Please let me know what you find. Also, see my response to Richard K a few minutes ago.

Richard K

No, they could not find the connector under the dash. They seemed to know what they were doing. I searched the fit guide on the Teknosha site. They did not have a choice for Lincoln, only Ford. But when I searched on a 2021 Ford Explorer, they listed the following warning:

Warning Please Read
No Plug and Play brake control harness available for this vehicle. Must be hardwired. To ensure you locate the proper vehicle wiring for stoplight, contact your local authorized dealer or vehicle’s manufacturer.

I decided to go with the Curt wireless brake controller. My trailer is pretty small, and I never had to change the brake controller settings, while towing, on my old tow vehicle (2014 Explorer). So, since the Curt controller keeps the setting if it loses the bluetooth, I thought I would try it. But I do understand you cannot use your flashers with this solution.

That’s disappointing news. As for the wireless Curt, I tried it on my Jeep GC and my Tacoma and I could not get it to work well. The app kept losing contact with the controller for a a few seconds at a time. Curt even sent me a new one, but no joy with that one either. Hope you have better luck.

vgir

Warning Please Read

I have installed the Curt Echo wireless controller on the 2021 Aviator (with the factory tow package). It appears to work flawlessly. It is very responsive, and I noticed no difference in response time when compared to my previous Tekonsha P3. Also, the trailer brakes are applied smoothly, and from the App it is very easy to adjust the maximum braking and the sensitivity.

There are a couple things to know.

1. You need to have your trailer attached to BlueTooth link the Curt Echo controller to your smartphone. This is because the newer Fords/Lincolns (I think starting in 2019) recognize when your trailer is attached. They do not send power to the seven pin connector unless it senses the trailer. So the trailer must be attached to the Curt Echo (which is , in turn, attached to the 7-pin receiver on your Aviator) to power up and be linked. Thgeir is a diode that lets you know it has power.

2. I have read that with the Echo, if you have your Hazard Lights on, your trailer brakes will also pulse. In the App on your smartphone there is a switch that you can flip if you want your Hazard Lights on, which will keep the brakes from pulsing.

3. I have also read that if you are using other Apps on your phone, the trailer brake App will go into the background (which makes sense). I have solved this by using an old phone, without a sim card. As long as you have BlueTooth it works fine. Also note, the Echo will work with your last settings if BlueTooth connectivity is somehow lost. So I can link my normal phone for CarPlay , etc., and use the old phone for the brake controller.

Finally, I think this Aviator is a GREAT SUV. But because this vehicle has a Class IV hitch and can tow 6700 lbs, I also think that Lincooln should consider putting a factory available brake controller in the dash, as they do with the Navigator and F-150.