TPMS reset tool

brucelinc

Minneapolis
I have not but I am surprised that a tool is even needed. I have a 2016 Mustang that I have switched tires/wheels around on several times. It automatically learns the new sensors without using a tool at all.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I have not but I am surprised that a tool is even needed. I have a 2016 Mustang that I have switched tires/wheels around on several times. It automatically learns the new sensors without using a tool at all.
Surprising that your Mustang works that way. It is my understanding that the tool is required to identify the sensor id to the TPMS module for each specific wheel position. So the TPMS is trained in a specific pattern, LF, RF, RR, LR using the TPMS-19 tool to relate sensor id to each of those wheel positions. I don't see how your approach can relate sensor info to a particular wheel position. Interesting how these electronics work, not necessarily as one would expect.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
I am not sure how it works either but it shows the correct pressure in each tire. I bought sensors that were compatible with my car's VIN. After installation, I drove about a block and it began registering the pressure. When I had the tires mounted on new rims, the tech at Discount Tire told me that most Fords since 2016 would automatically sync the tpms if you have the correct sensors.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I am not sure how it works either but it shows the correct pressure in each tire. I bought sensors that were compatible with my car's VIN. After installation, I drove about a block and it began registering the pressure. When I had the tires mounted on new rims, the tech at Discount Tire told me that most Fords since 2016 would automatically sync the tpms if you have the correct sensors.
Thanks, that is good to know.

hjr1949

Hi town,

On my 2018 Lincoln I changed the tires myself as I could not get the summers into the trunk. Anyway, After installing and taking car for a run all was ok. No messages that there was any issues with the TPMS.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hi town,

On my 2018 Lincoln I changed the tires myself as I could not get the summers into the trunk. Anyway, After installing and taking car for a run all was ok. No messages that there was any issues with the TPMS.
Thanks for the update, it supports what brucelinc says. Have you tried changing tire pressures in a tire significantly and then seeing if the change is reflected in the TPMS readout for that wheel?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Changed over to my winter wheels/tires today. I set the tire pressures at 32.2, 33.2, 34.4, 35.4 psi starting front left and going clockwise around to end at left rear, as per the TPMS reset directions. So tomorrow I will drive the car and see what the TPMS dash readout says for each sensor position. The wheels/tires are in same positions with same Ford stock sensors as they were for last winter, but the TPMS was reset in April for the summer (all season) tires.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The TPMS updated to correct tire pressures after driving for 3 kilometers. I reset tire pressures and it updated as normal. So you don't need the tool. No TPMS icon displayed.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML