• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Town Car vs. Grand Marquis

Kaloteck

Hello all,

My first post here, I've been a frequent reader, but registered just now.

First of all, sorry for my poor English, I live in Germany and I'm seriously thinking about buying one of those, I'm old school and looking for something with soft suspension. It will not be my daily driver car, not at all. Let's call it a weekend car, just for fun.

I'm curious though, because some samy there are a few differencies between those two. I don't mind GM's different looks , but if - for example - its suspension is stiffer than TC's, then I think I might have to look for a Lincoln. All TCs have air suspension, I presume, but GMs just don't ? Are there any differencies suspension-wise between the Canadian and US versions ? Moreover, some say TCs are generally better in town driving whereas GMs (and Crown Vics for that matter) are nicer on the highway. Different gear ratios or something like that, but is it really true ?

Also, spare parts might be an issue. These days I can get anything via the internet to Europe and I don't mind waiting for parts to arrive (I have 2 other cars on my driveway), but I think TC's parts are easier to get because those cars are/were much more popular than Mercury ?

The New York Times once wrote in a GM's test drive:

"There’s a particular gear whine peculiar to Ford’s full-size cars that anyone who rides regularly in Crown Victoria taxis can recognize. That persistent groan from the rear end indicates just how little effort Ford has put into refining this car over the years."

Hmmm, what is that whine exactly? Is it present even in TCs ?

etTownCar

Hi - your English is just fine! I have owned a 97 Grand Marquis and currently own a 97 TC. I love both of these cars and would be happy with either. That being said, the TC is more special - it's just a cool car IMO. Mechanically, I didn't have any problems with either model and the ride was/is great and no whine in the tranny.

TownCars1

Houston/TX
Get the Town Car for sure. The GM is just a Town Car without a lot of upgrades. Every time you find out what little upgrade they put on the TC, you will wish you could add it to the GM.

Kaloteck wasn't talking about a tranny whine, he referenced an article about the rear differential whine. If there is one, I have never noticed it.

I traded a 2004 Grand Marquis for a 2007 TC last March. Mechanically, they are almost the same (engine, transmission, etc). However, I wanted a quieter, smoother ride than I was getting with the GM; so I went with the TC. You can take that baby out on the autobahn and cruise all day with it.

JLM

Houston, TX
OK, so the TC has even smoother ride thanks to what... air suspension ? I presume some GMs have it also ?
The Town Car's ride is smoother thanks to the air suspension and the slightly longer wheelbase. Some of the higher optioned Grand Marquises have air suspension.

"There’s a particular gear whine peculiar to Ford’s full-size cars that anyone who rides regularly in Crown Victoria taxis can recognize. That persistent groan from the rear end indicates just how little effort Ford has put into refining this car over the years."

There is a slight whine that the Panthers have as the transmission shifts from 1 to 2. Every panther I've been in does it. My dad's 85 Town Car did it, and even though it's not a panther, my mom's 85 Mercury Cougar had the same 1-2 whine.

Kaloteck

Some of the higher optioned Grand Marquises have air suspension.
And what about that one over here ? http://venus.wsb-nlu.edu.pl/~pprzygoda/2008 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2007 Ford Mustang
I've been trying to decode its VIN 2MEFM75V38X603659 , to find out as much as possible, but I could only find very simple decoders, which list only simple details like model year etc. I'm interested to know whether the above mentioned one has the air suspension. Can you help ?

My 2007 TC developed the rear end whine. Was not always there, started in November after I put my snow tires on. I thought it was the sound of the new snow tires until I put my regular tires back on a week ago and it was still there. Now my TC is in the shop waiting for a $1,000 bearing repair inside the rear end.
I test drove a base model GM right before test driving my TC at the same dealer. To me the difference in ride between the two was incredible. There was no way I was getting back in the GM after experiencing the ride in the TC. I remember my first impression of the GM was good, but driving them back to back there was no comparison and the TC was the clear winner in my mind.

Hello all,

My first post here, I've been a frequent reader, but registered just now.

First of all, sorry for my poor English, I live in Germany and I'm seriously thinking about buying one of those, I'm old school and looking for something with soft suspension. It will not be my daily driver car, not at all. Let's call it a weekend car, just for fun.

I'm curious though, because some samy there are a few differencies between those two. I don't mind GM's different looks , but if - for example - its suspension is stiffer than TC's, then I think I might have to look for a Lincoln. All TCs have air suspension, I presume, but GMs just don't ? Are there any differencies suspension-wise between the Canadian and US versions ? Moreover, some say TCs are generally better in town driving whereas GMs (and Crown Vics for that matter) are nicer on the highway. Different gear ratios or something like that, but is it really true ?

Also, spare parts might be an issue. These days I can get anything via the internet to Europe and I don't mind waiting for parts to arrive (I have 2 other cars on my driveway), but I think TC's parts are easier to get because those cars are/were much more popular than Mercury ?

The New York Times once wrote in a GM's test drive:

mark95man

Here's our experience as we purchased these cars new. That means they were maintained from day one, unlike many used cars. My wife first purchased a 95 MGM with touring suspension and my car was a 96 TC Signature with touring suspension. Both had rear air springs. Both rode about the same, no real issues with either car. The 95 MGM was sold with 160,000 miles while the 96 TC was sold at 135,000 miles. Due to NY/NJ road salt, both had suspension issues that I didn't want to face. The 95 MGM air springs were ok while the 96 TC air springs failed at 120,000 miles converted to steel coil springs with no real ride difference. I'll compare that to the difference in Coke vs Pepsi drinks. Some will notice the difference while most will not.

The 95 MGM was replaced with a 2008 MGM and my 96 TC was replaced with a 2007 TC Designer which was sold 12/2013 and is in Germany right now. Both cars had rear air springs. The MGM always gave better MPG due to being several hundred pounds lighter, a little smaller with different rear end gears--27 MPG while the TC got 25 MPG. The TC had more equipment that could fail compared to the MGM. We take care of our cars and usually own them for 10+ years. I wanted a 4X4, so I sold the TC and purchased a 2014 Navigator 4X4.

Being that we purchased two sets of new MGM & TC, we really liked these cars. My wife wanted a smaller car, therefore the MGM was better for her. Now that these cars are out of production, the only available cars are used. You should search for a one owner car or one that was purchased used early in its life. Rust is the major concern as it does damage the heck out of any vehicle. Our 95 MGM and 96 TC were subjected to road salt. Upon retirement we relocated to AZ--Valley of the Sun with no snow. Our 07 TC and 08 MGM look new--even on the underside due to no rust. These are great vehicles IF you can find one that was really taken care of and are willing to pay a little more. Those who hunt for deals may not get the deal that they really wanted. Usually you get what you pay for.

Currently my wife is looking for a new smaller car and I'll sell her 08 MGM. I fear that her hunt for a replacement will take some time. Not many RWD models available with the same great MPG and overall room and quiet cabin.

Last edited:

G-166062

The Town Car's ride is smoother thanks to the air suspension and the slightly longer wheelbase. Some of the higher optioned Grand Marquises have air suspension.

There is a slight whine that the Panthers have as the transmission shifts from 1 to 2. Every panther I've been in does it. My dad's 85 Town Car did it, and even though it's not a panther, my mom's 85 Mercury Cougar had the same 1-2 whine.
I have a 91 ford country squire. Same 1-2 whine, hesitation

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
And what about that one over here ? http://venus.wsb-nlu.edu.pl/~pprzygoda/2008 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2007 Ford Mustang
I've been trying to decode its VIN 2MEFM75V38X603659 , to find out as much as possible, but I could only find very simple decoders, which list only simple details like model year etc. I'm interested to know whether the above mentioned one has the air suspension. Can you help ?
The VIN won't tell you about whether the car had air springs or not if they were optional equipment. If that car is still available, and you want to know if it has rear air springs, call the dealership and ask them. They will be happy to tell you all about the car if you are a serious potential buyer for the car.

As for choosing between a Grand Marquis and a Town Car, that is up to you. The Lincoln is more prestigious, and actually more readily available. This was the waning years of the Mercury marque as people were no longer "able" to tell the difference between a Mercury and a Ford beyond the sticker price, and bought the less-expensive Ford if they bought either. The GM looks more like a Crown Victoria than a Town Car. The less-expensive (when new) Town Cars had the same chassis and wheelbase as the GM and CV, yet still looked different from their cheaper cousins. In fact, it wasn't until the last Panther bodyshell was introduced that Lincoln even had a longer wheelbase Town Car when compared to its cheaper cousins.

All other things being equal, I think you will be happier with the Lincoln, especially if you buy one with a 124" wheelbase instead of the 119" wheelbase that was shared with the Crown Vic and the Grand Marquis. But, buy the best-condition car that you actually love, or at least like. This is your "luxury" car, as in the car itself is a luxury, not a necessity. Buy the car for you. Whether you show the "Grosser Benzers" what a luxury car should be, or just drive up and down the road, it's your pleasure, so buy what you want.

As others have mentioned, the "whine" is from the rear axle, and only noticed on cars that have high mileage in severe (police, taxi, airport limo) service. If you buy a "great condition" car, you shouldn't have to worry. If you do encounter and decide to buy a car with rear axle issues, negotiate the price accordingly to account for the rear axle rebuild that will allow you to enjoy the car in quiet contentment. My Town Car is whisper quiet, and the Grand Marquis I almost bought a year ago was almost as silent, the difference being extra sound deadener the Lincolns got that the Grand Marquis usually didn't, and the difference being so small that most people wouldn't notice if blindfolded.

Good luck.

Jhensley1607

The VIN won't tell you about whether the car had air springs or not if they were optional equipment. If that car is still available, and you want to know if it has rear air springs, call the dealership and ask them. They will be happy to tell you all about the car if you are a serious potential buyer for the car.

As for choosing between a Grand Marquis and a Town Car, that is up to you. The Lincoln is more prestigious, and actually more readily available. This was the waning years of the Mercury marque as people were no longer "able" to tell the difference between a Mercury and a Ford beyond the sticker price, and bought the less-expensive Ford if they bought either. The GM looks more like a Crown Victoria than a Town Car. The less-expensive (when new) Town Cars had the same chassis and wheelbase as the GM and CV, yet still looked different from their cheaper cousins. In fact, it wasn't until the last Panther bodyshell was introduced that Lincoln even had a longer wheelbase Town Car when compared to its cheaper cousins.

All other things being equal, I think you will be happier with the Lincoln, especially if you buy one with a 124" wheelbase instead of the 119" wheelbase that was shared with the Crown Vic and the Grand Marquis. But, buy the best-condition car that you actually love, or at least like. This is your "luxury" car, as in the car itself is a luxury, not a necessity. Buy the car for you. Whether you show the "Grosser Benzers" what a luxury car should be, or just drive up and down the road, it's your pleasure, so buy what you want.

As others have mentioned, the "whine" is from the rear axle, and only noticed on cars that have high mileage in severe (police, taxi, airport limo) service. If you buy a "great condition" car, you shouldn't have to worry. If you do encounter and decide to buy a car with rear axle issues, negotiate the price accordingly to account for the rear axle rebuild that will allow you to enjoy the car in quiet contentment. My Town Car is whisper quiet, and the Grand Marquis I almost bought a year ago was almost as silent, the difference being extra sound deadener the Lincolns got that the Grand Marquis usually didn't, and the difference being so small that most people wouldn't notice if blindfolded.

Good luck.
Just to clarify, the Town Car has always had a longer wheelbase, not just the L version. The regular Lincoln Town car's (2003-2011) had 3 inches longer wheelbase, and it is all very noticeable right in the rear seat leg room. Regular Town Car wheelbase is 117 inches, while Mercury Grand Marquis (and Ford Crown Vics) are 114. I have owned a '97 TC, 2004 TC, followed by a 2008 Grand Marquis I just traded off for a 2007 Town Car - the extra length does help the ride and rear seat room compared to the MGM. That and plus a ton more sound deadening material.

HTML