Town Car Subwoofer & its speaker access

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
On a 2007 model Town Car here are the steps to access the subwoofer:
- the rear seat backrest must be removed. I have also included the seat cushion removal since it may help in other aspects.
- parcel shelf needs to be removed, and
- subwoofer speaker removed from the shelf panel to allow the
- subwoofer to be removed from the panel.

This procedure will likely apply to 2003 models and above.

Attachments

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The procedure for the 1998 through 2002 models is slightly different. The Subwoofer is called an Amplifier and is accessed behind the rear seat backrest which requires the rear seat cushion to be removed first. Attached are these procedures. I have added the procedure to for the rear parcel shelf removal and installation (R&I), which is not actually required.

There is a stated requirement to remove the neg battery terminal.

Attachments

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The procedure for the 1992 to 1997 models are different to later models. The Subwoofer/Amplifier is located and accessible from the trunk and under the parcel shelf. It only requires the 4th procedure. If access to the speakers is required then the rear bench seat must be removed and the parcel shelf removed which requires the first three procedures.

Attachments

eray

Thanks Town! I used the procedure for clearing the fresh air intake today, it was so clogged up! My new subwoofer is supposed to be here tomorrow and I will use the above listed help for this also. Thanks again, Ray

RHenson

There are two amps but only one is located in the trunk area. The other amp is underneath the stereo and very difficult to get to. Bypassing the sub-woofer amp is easy, bypassing speaker amp will prove more difficult.
I am installing the factory subwoofer in a 1997 Town Car. The regular JBL factory stereo amp is in the trunk. I also have a 98 Town Car subwoofer, that has a plug that fits into the JBL amp, that I have presently in the trunk, Can I splice and change the plug from the 98 to the 97 subwoofer, and use the JBL amp that is in the car now? The first pic is the connector of the 97 sub, which there is no place to add to the JBL amp, the second pic is from the 98 sub, to which there is a place on the amp to plug it into. Will or should that work? THANKS SOOO MUCH for any help!!

Attachments

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
I am installing the factory subwoofer in a 1997 Town Car. The regular JBL factory stereo amp is in the trunk. I also have a 98 Town Car subwoofer, that has a plug that fits into the JBL amp, that I have presently in the trunk, Can I splice and change the plug from the 98 to the 97 subwoofer, and use the JBL amp that is in the car now? The first pic is the connector of the 97 sub, which there is no place to add to the JBL amp, the second pic is from the 98 sub, to which there is a place on the amp to plug it into. Will or should that work? THANKS SOOO MUCH for any help!!
Hey there, I think what you are asking if splicing in the sub to the amp connector will work? If so, yes, in theory that will work. I did something similar on my wife's 98' Navigator. I cut the amp adapter off and spliced it into a new mono sub, new sub, old amp :)

You would need to know which wires were +/ obviously

RHenson

I thank you, the 98's subwoofer will plug into a receptacle on the JBL stereo amp in the right-hand corner in the trunk, but the 97 subwoofer will not, BUT why did it not? Both have just 2 wires. My thought, simply switch the plugs, so the 97 will have the 98's plug, and simply plug into the factory stereo amp. I did plug the 98's sub into the amp, and got no sound at a low volume level.? Is this normal? Do subwoofer speakers always produce sound, or just at certain music "requirements". Thanks so much, you are awesome in my ignorance.

Last edited:

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
You ought to check the Ohms of the speakers and the expected Ohms of the amp. I recall that if the amp is expecting 4 Ohms and the speaker is an 8 Ohm unit the sound level will be 1/2. If it is the other way you will overdrive and ruin the speaker.
A single sub at 8 ohms? Is that common? Dont they usually wire up to 8 depending on the configuration (strait vs parallel)

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
A single sub at 8 ohms? Is that common? Dont they usually wire up to 8 depending on the configuration (strait vs parallel)
Hi, raiderfan247365.

I believe that CuttingRoomGuy was using "8 Ohms" of impedance as an example only, not stating that the expected value of the subwoofer or subwoofer amp was 8 Ohms.

As to RHenson's question about amps in the trunk area, there will be at least one, even with the "base" factory stereo. The Lincoln Town Cars, at least from 1999 or so, use two vertical traces in the rear window glass for their antenna. As a consequence, there is a "RF filter-amplifier" mounted in the trunk, typically on the center of the underside of the package shelf.

This filter-amplifier connects between the back glass and the antenna input for the radio to boost radio signals and filter out any interference from the rear window defroster.

It does not connect to the speakers, so isn't quite the "amp" you were asking about. But it is there, and if it goes bad, you will know, and have a lot of cassettes and/or CDs in your near future.

Good luck.

HTML