Town Car rear air suspension spring replacement

zinctwentyone

Great information here guys. The video was simple, I hope I can get my hand under the wheel well to get that clip off. A question, the video does not show how to change the O-rings, and even if the new o rings come with Arnott air springs. I opted to not get new solenoids and just the springs and try it, I know its a gamble but for me, I don't mind rolling the dice on having to reinstall new solenoids later if needed. I just think these air springs are toast. Is it imperative to change the O-rings? If so where do you buy them and how do you install those?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hi zinctwentyone,

The new O rings should be in the box with the new spring. There are two threads that cover your questions:
1. This thread from our Lincoln Tech forum gives you the procedure on changing the O rings: http://lincolnforums.com/forums/threads/12055-Town-Car-air-spring-solenoid-O-rings-installation
2. If the solenoid O rings are missing from the box (has happened) this thread also from our Lincoln Tech forum gives you a size and source for the O rings that fit on the spring solenoid male end that fits into the spring top mounting tube: http://lincolnforums.com/forums/threads/12149-In-expensive-source-for-O-rings-for-air-solenoids

Hope this helps you get your car fixed up. Good luck.

zinctwentyone

I just checked the Arnott bags which are really nice by the way, did in fact come with a small baggie of O-rings . Will advise how the install goes.

krb1945

FL
I just did the air springs on my second LTC. I used long needle nose pliers to get the clips of both cars. My 96 had a strange clip like a back to back "R" clip and the 03 had a regular "R" clip on the top. To remove the air solenoid locking clip a long slender flat tip screwdriver works good. I put some light on it and then used the flat tip to pry it gently out on one end while putting a little up force on it and they popped right off.

You can also use a long wire hook to get the "R" clip off the top of the air spring. Then use the extra long needle nose to put it back on. Hope this helps you. Ken

Cajun

I just did the air springs on my second LTC. I used long needle nose pliers to get the clips of both cars. My 96 had a strange clip like a back to back "R" clip and the 03 had a regular "R" clip on the top. To remove the air solenoid locking clip a long slender flat tip screwdriver works good. I put some light on it and then used the flat tip to pry it gently out on one end while putting a little up force on it and they popped right off.

You can also use a long wire hook to get the "R" clip off the top of the air spring. Then use the extra long needle nose to put it back on. Hope this helps you. Ken
Easy way to remove that clip that releases the spring bag is to cut an old steel coat hanger, and bend the end into a small "U" shape and use that to hook the raised portion of the clip. comes right off.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML