• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

town car oil

Ed FvC

Classic/Collectible Car Insurance?

Since the SS is retired now, I want to get different insurance. I got a quote from Grundy Worldwide for $313/yr, which is 2/3 cheaper than what I\'d get with State Farm.

Has anyone dealt with Grundy? Are they any good? Are there other alternatives out there? Advice, please! :)

Bill89LSC

I\'ve got my Lincoln insured with Grundy. I\'ve never had a claim, so I\'ve never really dealt with them in that respect, but they are a well known and reputable company. I\'m happy with them.

Lynette

John and I have our Classics and Antiques insured through JC Taylor, quick dependable claim service. Inexpensive premiums. We\'ve had them for about 5 years and 1 claim and we\'re happy so far.

Ed FvC

[quote name=\'Mrs.OldSchool\']John and I have our Classics and Antiques insured through JC Taylor, quick dependable claim service. Inexpensive premiums. We\'ve had them for about 5 years and 1 claim and we\'re happy so far.[/QUOTE]

How\'d it go with that one claim? Do these classic car insurance companies function any different than a conventional insurance company, or is it simply because they\'re banking on a collector treating their car differently than the average joe (ie not daily driving, not abusing too much, taking above average care, etc)?

Geordi

From what I\'ve found, they seem to bank on the care and lack-of-daily-abuse that a collector car will get. Trailering to shows, less than 5k miles per year, garaged, that sort of stuff.

But in your case Ed, do you really think you need collector car insurance? It\'s JUST a Chevy. :stickpoke :D

Lynette

[quote name=\'Ed FvC\']How\'d it go with that one claim? Do these classic car insurance companies function any different than a conventional insurance company, or is it simply because they\'re banking on a collector treating their car differently than the average joe (ie not daily driving, not abusing too much, taking above average care, etc)?[/QUOTE]

They pretty much handled the claim like any other company would. We called in and reported the damage (when the \'76 Mark IV\'s tire blew on the way back from the Carlilse show, and ripped up the side of the car:cry: ), someone came out and took pictures and they wrote a check. I think John haggled a bit because of course they want to underbid, but they came through in the end.

Geordi

[quote name=\'Ed FvC\']:squint: :slap:[/QUOTE]

Touched a nerve, did I?

Hmm, I guess it\'s true what I\'ve heard about Chevy owners... They are sensitive about their toys. :D

Only little boys wear bowties. :stickpoke

:D

68Stang

[quote name=\'Ed FvC\']Since the SS is retired now, I want to get different insurance. I got a quote from Grundy Worldwide for $313/yr, which is 2/3 cheaper than what I\'d get with State Farm.

Has anyone dealt with Grundy? Are they any good? Are there other alternatives out there? Advice, please! :)[/QUOTE]
A lot of them won\'t insure you if you\'ve had any kind of wreck or traffic infraction in the past 5 years.

Ed FvC

[quote name=\'68Stang\']A lot of them won\'t insure you if you\'ve had any kind of wreck or traffic infraction in the past 5 years.[/QUOTE]
Hmm. Really? Crap.

I\'ll have to call them.

Jker

I;ve heard good things about grundy too. Not sure what kind of restrictions you would have on useage though...... something that you\'ll have to investigate for sure.....

Mineral 5Speed GT

Kind of off topic...but here\'s a ? for everyone.
If I do get another car for a DD, can I list the GT a different way to lower my insurance cost? It\'s still on a loan if that makes a difference.

Ed FvC

[quote name=\'Mineral 5Speed GT\']Kind of off topic...but here\'s a ? for everyone.
If I do get another car for a DD, can I list the GT a different way to lower my insurance cost? It\'s still on a loan if that makes a difference.[/QUOTE]

Well, with State Farm, they have a discount for low usage or whatever (comes out to around 5000mi/month). Not sure who you\'re with, but they usually have something, I\'d think.

cbac

I was reading the Grundy FAQs and they offer unlimited mileage. They know it\'s difficult to monitor the mileage and that people actually drive rather than trailer their rides to different shows etc.
Did you go to the Grundy website and get a quote?

Mineral 5Speed GT

[quote name=\'Ed FvC\']Well, with State Farm, they have a discount for low usage or whatever (comes out to around 5000mi/month). Not sure who you\'re with, but they usually have something, I\'d think.[/QUOTE]
I\'m with Farmers, I\'ll have to call and ask my agent. Wow, I feel special now...I have an agent lol

cbac

ahaaaaaa I am an agent.

uhhh do you car need Health insurance?

Ed FvC

[quote name=\'cbac\']I was reading the Grundy FAQs and they offer unlimited mileage. They know it\'s difficult to monitor the mileage and that people actually drive rather than trailer their rides to different shows etc.
Did you go to the Grundy website and get a quote?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the website came up with $313/yr for $300k liability, comp and collision, which is pretty awesome if you ask me. State Farm quoted me over $920/yr with limited mileage, etc.

The Camaro\'s gonna sit in the garage for a bit. I\'ll probably get it insured again here in the next few weeks.

Bill89LSC

The restrictions on my policy with Grundy are, no drivers under 25, the car must be garage kept, and there must be another car for each member of the household who is of driving age including yourself.

DaILL02LsE

TN Dmv called. They said Chevys are no longer classics. They apologize for misleading you.

HTML