Town Car Noob as of Today

DoubleJ

Brought home a 2011 with 79K on the clock today. Needed a DD for work as I'm done driving the Quad cab F-150 they've been supplying, it's too huge. Has bumper booboos
and something was dropped on the hood at some point, but otherwise it's pretty nice.

Couple questions: Anything unique about the front end? Looks like rack n pinion, double A arms, strut. Pretty standard. It's got a little shimmy at about 70, comes and goes, gets worse on the backside of a bump as the tires unload briefly. My guess is an alignment and balance will fix it, worst case I've got a slipped belt, but I don't think so. Sound about right? Probably need to do the shocks and struts as well at 9 years/80K

Sound system is pretty mediocre. Looks like I have an 8" sub in the rear deck, and then 4 x 5x7s. No tweeters in the A pillars, strange for a luxury car, my Silverado has them. And my Beemer. And my Forester. And my last two F-150s. And my Dakota. And my Azera. End rant. Do I have a factory amp of any type? I don't have nav (what's the SAT button do?)

How many bodies can I fit in the trunk? I'm guessing 2 large, one small.

Anything to watch out for? The internet says they're reliable. Must-do upgrades? I hear about this Watts link on the youtube. How about the brakes, that's usually what I beef up first.

Glad to meet everyone.

00i0i_cNyCL8SeyyW_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
Brought home a 2011 with 79K on the clock today. Needed a DD for work as I'm done driving the Quad cab F-150 they've been supplying, it's too huge. Has bumper booboos
and something was dropped on the hood at some point, but otherwise it's pretty nice.

Couple questions: Anything unique about the front end? Looks like rack n pinion, double A arms, strut. Pretty standard. It's got a little shimmy at about 70, comes and goes, gets worse on the backside of a bump as the tires unload briefly. My guess is an alignment and balance will fix it, worst case I've got a slipped belt, but I don't think so. Sound about right? Probably need to do the shocks and struts as well at 9 years/80K

Sound system is pretty mediocre. Looks like I have an 8" sub in the rear deck, and then 4 x 5x7s. No tweeters in the A pillars, strange for a luxury car, my Silverado has them. And my Beemer. And my Forester. And my last two F-150s. And my Dakota. And my Azera. End rant. Do I have a factory amp of any type? I don't have nav (what's the SAT button do?)

Anything to watch out for? The internet says they're reliable. Must-do upgrades? I hear about this Watts link on the youtube. How about the brakes, that's usually what I beef up first.

Glad to meet everyone.

View attachment 9302
Welcome! and nice looking ride, I love the black TC's

I can only speak to the radio as I am a noob on all the mechanical stuff but the audio system I have become very familiar with lol.

There are TC's that have the tweeter in the A-pillar, don't know which years but I agree, would be nice to have. The front speakers are actually 6x8's but you can fit 5x7's in there as well. The round speak grill is weird considering the speakers behind them are oval. The rear speakers are also 6x8's but can fit 5x7's and maybe even 5 1/4 as well. If you do a search in the forum for "stereo" you will see lots of recent threads, seems a lot of folks have been asking questions and upgrading their stereos lately.

There is an amp that is dedicated to the subwoofer mounted directly below the sub. There is no amp for the other speakers.

DoubleJ

Guess I may end up punching holes in those little sail covers to put some tweeters in then. I see Crutchfield recommends replacing the 6x8 with just about anything round in a bracket, looks like 5 1/4 component sets are plentiful. They also sell a couple dual 2 ohm voice coil subs that they say can replace that center one. I do have a little 90W Alpine class D mono laying around, it'll fit anywhere, so maybe I can use that to upgrade, any idea what the factory wattage is? That sub doesn't exactly pound back there. Thanks RaiderFan.

Just went hunting for my air ride kill switch, and found a rectangle where it should be (driver's side in the trunk, like my old Mark VIII?). It's not there. Neither are my airbags. I've got coil springs. And I forgot to check tread depth in the rear, so I'm gonna be due for a set of tires pretty much immediately.

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
Guess I may end up punching holes in those little sail covers to put some tweeters in then. I see Crutchfield recommends replacing the 6x8 with just about anything round in a bracket, looks like 5 1/4 component sets are plentiful. They also sell a couple dual 2 ohm voice coil subs that they say can replace that center one. I do have a little 90W Alpine class D mono laying around, it'll fit anywhere, so maybe I can use that to upgrade, any idea what the factory wattage is? That sub doesn't exactly pound back there. Thanks RaiderFan.

Just went hunting for my air ride kill switch, and found a rectangle where it should be (driver's side in the trunk, like my old Mark VIII?). It's not there. Neither are my airbags. I've got coil springs. And I forgot to check tread depth in the rear, so I'm gonna be due for a set of tires pretty much immediately.

Yes, the 2010 and 2011 had air ride as an optional package, which is why you see the area where the switch should be empty.

The stock subwoofer amp can handle an aftermarket sub wired to as low as 2 ohms, it's possible it can take 1 ohms but I have not personally tried it, and if you're wrong there you will probably fry the amp lol. A couple of us have tried to find documentation on the wattage and ohms of the factory sub and amp but there just isn't anything concrete I have found. Putting a better sub in there will definitely "help" but if you really want some bass you're gonna want to go with even a small mono amp and it will sound a lot better.

Some general advice if you decide to do some DIY speaker and stereo work. The door panels on these cars are notorious for being difficult to remove, mostly because of all the damn plastic clips used to secure them. Even when being VERY careful, it seems it's impossible to pull the door panels without breaking a clip or two.

DoubleJ

I'm a pro at breaking plastic trim clips, probably because automakers are pros at making them cheap and then charging $5 a piece for them. Just broke about half of the ones on my Subaru pulling the bumper off...because that's how you change some of the bulbs in the headlight housing. Brilliant. I did just pick up a fancy set of polymer trim tools that will hopefully help when I do attack the doors in the Lincoln. Gotta address the front end first, and those garbage rear tires that I missed during my pre-purchase inspection. This thing has a full dual exhaust, so that's good news. Also noticed that one rim is packed with a concrete-like mix of gravel dust/years/water, so that could be my front end vibration.

CuttingToolGuy

Houston
Welcome,
You have a nice looking ride.

It looks like raiderfan247365 (I wonder how the Oakland folks are taking the move to Vegas. The Houston folks developed a hate for the Titans.) has covered the radio. I'll try to hit some of your other questions.

Your assesment of the suspension is correct. 03' to 11' have the same suspension. Also Ford Crown Vic & Mercury Grand Marquis share the same components.

For the shimmy it is possible a piece of rubber has gone bad, we can't tell which without inspection. Don't forget to look at the anti sway bar bushings & endlinks.

Shocks and struts... I would do the classic 'bounce test' at all 4 corners and replace only if needed.

Your estimate of bodies is low, at least 5 will fit. Use a plastic tarp if they are bleeding.

If you want to upgrade things such as the brakes, search for Crown Vic of the same year, you will find more advertised and it fits our cars. Keep in mind the stock rims will limit brake rotor size.

Must do upgrades, there is a sticky about water in the cabin on the passenger side. Easy 1 hour fix & you should do it before it becomes a problem. There should be a stickie about water in the driver side but, you have to search for it.

I think you asked about a 'Sat' button, it is for an optional module. It working depends on the original owner ordering it from the dealer. Hard to find now and expensive if you do. There are a couple threads over this in the last 2 months.

DoubleJ

Thanks, good info. I found rust on the passenger seat hardware, and we don't have rust out here, so I'll chase the wet floor issue immediately.

Aside from brakes, I'll also look into letting the engine breathe a little better. We're short on air up here, so my 240 hp is more like 200. The intake restrictions look limited to the accordion boot and 2 resonators maybe causing some turbulence at worst. I did read about a police interceptor intake tube though. Ebay? How about the exhaust side, 9 mufflers and resonators as usual with these land yachts?

Danmanltc

The 2011 Town cars, air ride was optional. You are better not having it. Far less issues. Stock radio isn't that great. I still have mine, it's ok.

Danmanltc

Glad to meet everyone.

View attachment 9302
The only upgrade I would do is the HID headlights, makes a huge difference over the non HID while driving. HID were an option in 2011. I paid $300 or less at shop near my house.

For the shimmy, could be as easy as just a wheel alignment or worn tires, esp. since you only feel it at 70mph or faster.

When I got my 2011 last year, I took it to Lincoln dealer, had them change oil.. they did the multi point inspection to check everything out. Of if you have a local mechanic.

The stock brakes are ok, don't need to upgrade. Just make sure your's have decent pad left. For 2003, Lincoln put in better brakes, vs old 1998-2002.

Make sure the coolant has been changed at some point. It should have been done at 6 years old for the first time. than it's every 3 years after that.

Most reliable car Ford ever built. You'll get a million miles out of it with a little car. No exaggeration. It's an AMERICAN "luxobarge" as they say. I wouldn't do any mods to it. It's fine as is. Other than sound ,that is. There's plenty of aftermarket stuff to bring into the 21st century. If your shimmy comes and goes it sounds like the wheel balance is off. Handling should be fairly tight even for this car. If it was a 80's or 90's vintage, you could expect some travel in the steering and front end.. lol. Good luck.

DoubleJ

Had the rear tires replaced and the fronts balanced yesterday, no change. Rides like a pillow at 60 then gets worse from there, but it's intermittent. Might right a few miles nice and smooth, and then the steering wheel starts vibrating like I'm into the fart bars on the shoulder. Any sharp impact bumps exacerbate it quite a bit. Either I've got a bad front tire, or the kid at the tire shop doesn't know how to run the balancer...or a front end issue at 79K. I'm gonna start by moving the rear tires to the front and shaking down the front end.

Danmanltc

Had the rear tires replaced and the fronts balanced yesterday, no change. Rides like a pillow at 60 then gets worse from there, but it's intermittent. Might right a few miles nice and smooth, and then the steering wheel starts vibrating like I'm into the fart bars on the shoulder. Any sharp impact bumps exacerbate it quite a bit. Either I've got a bad front tire, or the kid at the tire shop doesn't know how to run the balancer...or a front end issue at 79K. I'm gonna start by moving the rear tires to the front and shaking down the front end.

rotate the new rear tires to the front now and see if the shake goes away at 60+ mph. How are the front tires? age, wear and mileage on them? Probably should have replaced all 4 tires at same time?

DoubleJ

Fronts are relatively fresh Michelin Defenders. Figured I'd get a couple mileage checks and then spring for another pair of Pirellis for the front. Still need to figure out how to get the car registered, they shut down the DMV the other day...again...

How about disabling these DRLs? I read something about needing to have a dealership do it? Was hoping I could pull a fuse or a resistor like my other 2 cars.

Last edited:
Fronts are relatively fresh Michelin Defenders. Figured I'd get a couple mileage checks and then spring for another pair of Pirellis for the front. Still need to figure out how to get the car registered, they shut down the DMV the other day...again...

How about disabling these DRLs? I read something about needing to have a dealership do it? Was hoping I could pull a fuse or a resistor like my other 2 cars.
I doubt a dealership would disable them because of liability issues. As for DMV, look online and see what you see.Around here they're working by appointments AND they also have a drop box outside their door they clean out every night and do what they do and mail the stuff back.

DoubleJ

I got a return email from the DMV that the county was just closed. They have some automated services like tag renewal and such, but the title work will have to be done by a person. The Silverado I just flipped a few months ago I was able to get titled through the mail, but I was able to get a human on the phone to get that process rolling.

I flipped the front/rear tires, and it cleared up 90% of the front end issues, now I can feel a mild vibration through the back and bottom of the seat, and the rear is stepping out over harsh bumps. Looks like one of those Michelins is probably bad, maybe a slipped belt or something. I'll just toss them and get another pair of Pirellis

What I do have leftover is almost like a little bump steer over harsh impacts. It was a farm car, and it's got 43 pounds of gravel dust in every crevice to prove it, maybe those rough roads loosened it up in the front, I'll need to grab a friend and shake it down to see if I've got some tired bushings or something.