Town Car no start or no crank with PATS light on

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
In the 1998 thru 2002 Town Car models a PATS failure to recognize the ign key will cause the PCM to disable the engine and prevent the engine from starting. The common culprit is the transceiver which is located around the ign key lock switch. Usually the wiring is stretched by the steering wheel column tilt adjustment and the stretched wires cause intermittent failure and then the wire breaks and there is complete failure. To fix this problem the transceiver must be replaced with its wiring harness.

The 2003 and up have an additional feature where the PCM prevents the starter engagement, so there is a no crank situation.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Town Car 1998 thru 2002 PATS transceiver wiring problem

The 1998 thru 2002 Town Car may exhibit a PATS problem where the engine will not start due to a transceiver wiring failure. Attached is a document that describes how to replace the transceiver on a 1998 Town Car. The procedure also applies to models thru 2002.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sparkyusn

In the 1998 thru 2002 Town Car models a PATS failure to recognize the ign key will cause the PCM to disable the engine and prevent the engine from starting. The common culprit is the transceiver which is located around the ign key lock switch. Usually the wiring is stretched by the steering wheel column tilt adjustment and the stretched wires cause intermittent failure and then the wire breaks and there is complete failure. To fix this problem the transceiver must be replaced with its wiring harness.

The 2003 and up have an additional feature where the PCM prevents the starter engagement, so there is a no crank situation.

Hi Town, I was trying to obtain the needed parts for my '99 Town Car to resolve the problem, and as I went online in search for the parts to order I had a problem with the part numbers listed in the bulletin that was posted as supposedly the parts numbers are now out of date and are no longer valid. Would you know what the current parts numbers (as of 2019) are for both the correct transceiver and the correct wiring harness? Also, can you recommend WHO sells the needed parts? I tried going to the local auto parts store (Advance Auto) and they were not much help, and I want to avoid the new Lincoln dealer because of the prices (even if I can still get the parts there for a 20 year old car!) Thank you.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The transceiver comes with its wiring harness; the purpose of the separate wiring harness is to check the transceiver using a separate scanner to plug into the original transceiver to be tested.

The part F8SZ-15607-AA Transceiver Module may have been replaced by part YW1Z-15607-BA for tilt steering wheel.
Here is a possible source: Ford OEM 98-00 Ranger Steering Column-transceiver YW1Z15607BA | eBay
or here: Transceiver - Ford (YW1Z-15607-BA) | TascaParts.com

You may want to call the supplier(s) to confirm fit, but looks ok. Good luck.

Sparkyusn

Hey thanks a whole lot! I ordered from the Ebay link.

HTML